Let's hear your "crazy stout" ideas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just brewed what I'm calling a "Nutella Stout" - a sweet stout base with cocoa powder, then aged on cacao nibs and bottled with hazelnut extract. It's only been in the fermenter two days and I'm already antsy to get to drinking it!

I brewed 5.3 gallons (20 L) of Irish coffee imperial stout with lactose, coffee and a bottle (26-oz) of Jameson whiskey. It came out quite well.

One of my favorite coffee drinks has both chocolate and cayenne and it's delicious...maybe the chocolate-habanero or mole stout, but add a little coffee?

I've been thinking about trying a chocolate persimmon stout. Persimmon pudding is one of my favorite southern foods.

Five pages in and nobody has mentioned Oyster Stout?

Oyster stouts are a pretty common brew--a number of Irish bars in this area have one, and BJCP lists commercial examples as typical of the sweet stout category. I wouldn't classify them as crazy.

Sam Adams makes a pretty good one for Wellfleet every year. Harpoon's is decent. Rogue's Oyster Cloyster was really good, but they stopped making it.

(If you find yourself in the greater DC area, Fordham Brewery in Annapolis has a really nice one on tap; Gaffney's in Arlington used to have a pretty good one, too, but it had gone downhill last time I tried it)

I'm trying to work out a Pumpkin Imperial Stout

If you can get your hands on it, try Cape Ann Brewing Co's Fisherman Pumpkin Stout. Not an imperial stout, but I thought it was very good. You might be close enough to find it in your area.

I did a pumpkin oatmeal stout a few months ago. It turned out pretty good, but if I were to brew it again, I will skip the clove all together.

I recently brewed a Sam Smith oatmeal stout clone, partial extract. I steeped the grains in about 2 1/2 gallons of fresh coconut water, the contents of 10 coconuts that I took from a tree at work.
I took a gravity reading of the water straight out of the coconut, pre boil, it was 1.025. It's at 7 days in primary and is still going nuts in there. I don't expect any coconut flavor as the water from a green coconut tastes like sugar water. Maybe sweet? Maybe higher ABV? Interested to see if it comes out good, or a wasted SSOS recipe! Fingers crossed...

Building on the classic Oyster Stout idea, how about a straight-up Seafood Stout: prawns, crabs, lobster, mussels, clams, with a nice dollop of horseradish and cayenne added to the last 15 minutes of the boil. Maybe some lemon and capers.

... dammit, there really needs to be a "zombie" icon when there's a gap of 18 months between any 2 posts in a thread.

Raspberry Zebra Mocha Stout.

Mix of powdered white chocolate and cocoa in boil
Secondary on raspberries.
Cold pressed dark roasted(Italian) coffee at bottling.

No Idea if it would work but it would be really different.

banana chocolate milk stout... add hefe yeast midway through ferm and free rise to 75°F

Wow that sounds really good... using a hefe yeast for a chocolate stout recipe. Nice!

I have this coffee substitute called Kafree Roma. It tastes kinda like coffee but it's ingredients are roasted barley, roasted malt barley, roasted chicory, roasted rye (Cafix is another but adds figs and red beet extract).

So maybe I'd do a Beet Your Roasted Chico-Rye Stout ;) I would actually roast some of the rye, if not all of it. Maybe roast some flaked rye? I guess if I use too much then it'd be in a hybrid category. And you can get pre-roasted chicory root online. Who knows maybe I would use a sugar beet (dried?) to get some different flavors and sugars. It's dry mass is 15–20% sucrose by weight!

I know that this recipe isn't unheard of in a Stout, san Rye, but nobody mentioned it yet (that I saw).

s'mores
coconut almond
chocolate malt (milkshake)
egg nog

but that cherry vanilla sounds intriguing...how did you pull that off?

The Vanilla Cherry Stout had 5# of Montmorency cherries/juice from Door County, WI. I had made a vanilla extract with vodka/beans, but that didn't come through as much as I would've liked. I made that beer 3 years ago, so honestly I can't remember the amounts on that.

I just started brewing and am a big lover of stout...I'm also a chef by trade and one of my favorite chocolate combos is dark chocolate and lime. Wonder if kaffir lime leaves in the last 10 min of boil would do the trick?

cowboyspoon said:
@pigdog. How's your Sammy smith clone with the coconut water?

Bottled last night. It has a much higher ABV because of the coconut water I guess. About 6.5%, smells funny, not like haha funny. We'll see, gonna let it sit for a while. I used the muntons kremeyx or whatever it's called, a head retention priming sugar (looked like DME to me). Hoping for the best, expecting the worse.

Back