New Brewer's Best kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zurcj20

Reaction score
I know most of you don't use kits but I'm still new so I still do. The new brewer's best kit have new procedures that incorperate a late extract addition. I think it's kind of cool that the big guys are recognizing what the people on the forums have been experimenting with.

They probably noticed that late addition allows them to reduce the bittering hops and in the case of partial boils, achieve higher IBU levels. I've noticed that the BB instructions are much, much better than they were. I still make clone kits about half the time. I'm not much for making the same beer over and over.

I am just finishing up one of their Imperial Blonde's and noticed the late-extract addition too, except to me it seems they have it backwards. Their instructions have you adding the DME late, not the LME.

I also can't find an estimated F.G. number anywhere on the sheet - they list an O.G., but don't tell you where it's supposed to finish.

And their new box designs are pretty skiffy as well. :D

And if you are lucky, your LHBS may be trying to unload his old BB kits at a dep discount. I know my buddy Todd is at his shop.

I did the APA andit had two cans of lme. It does seem strange to have you do the lme first if you have both. Kind of defeats the purpose of the late addition.

My witbier was like that. It turned out okay, meaning that I drank it all after 2 weeks in bottles to 4 weeks in bottles.

Nothing wrong with the BB kits. I brewed their Robust Porter as my second beer ever a few years ago, and it was the one of the best beers I've ever brewed!

I am just finishing up one of their Imperial Blonde's and noticed the late-extract addition too, except to me it seems they have it backwards. Their instructions have you adding the DME late, not the LME.

I also can't find an estimated F.G. number anywhere on the sheet - they list an O.G., but don't tell you where it's supposed to finish.

I noticed the lack of an F.G. number also when I did an APA last month. But fortunately I have HBT to help figure it out and I also found a couple of on-line calculators!

Well good! I picked up an APA kit today to do with my family (it was quick and easy day at the LHBS), and was a little apprehensive about doing a kit.

Back