Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
Why is it there is a ton of chatter about which is better SS or Aluminum, but if someone can score a 16 gallon keg to use for a boiling pot or mash tun it is a phenominal find?

The reason i ask is i came into 2 16 gallon kegs recently and am about to modify them but if people think using them is a no no then i may not.

Let me know, i will me modifying them in about 3 hours.

Thanks

reverend

If you came into them legally then there is no reason not to convert them to whatever use you choose beit keggle, unrinal, charcoal grill, chair, whatever.

The only place you'll see some people discuss whether a keg should be converted at all is when those kegs are acquired through less than honest means. A stolen keg is a stolen keg, no matter who gave it to you.

I think he's speaking to the fact that an aluminum pot is in some people's eyes a no-no while an aluminum keg would not have the aluminum stigma.

Question is aren't most kegs SS and not aluminum?

Do you know that yours are for sure aluminum?

I think the aluminum controversy is overblown. Cut away.

I know what you are thinking and no, i did not steal them. My Brother in-law is in a Frat and they had a party at his house about a year and half ago, they left 2 kegs and three taps there and even after he called them about it they never returned for them and there is no marks identifying what store they came from. i would call that legal.

My questions is about the kegs and the fact that they are aluminum, Correct? Some people seem hell bent on not using it, but when it comes to converting kegs the aluminum seems to become a non-issue for the boiling pot use.

What are your thoughts Kob?

I thought kegs were Aluminum.

Kegs are generally SS.

As for the ownership quesiton-- by no means to I mean to imply that my personal sense of what's right is in any way absolute. However, this is how the scenario that you describe seems to me. Lost property is lost property. If I made an honest and reasonable effort to return the property and was unable to track down an owner I'd not feel that I'd be doing anything wrong by making use of them. (on the flip side I would not condemn anyone who found any of the things I've lost over time who did the same). Nor would I be overly upset if, by some miricle, the real owner turned up a reasonable time later and asked that their property be returned (or reasonable recompense).

Ultimately you have to decide for youself: does your behavior conform with the standards of behavior you apply to others?

My behavior is ....."Screw it" The 75 bucks per keg someone had to put down as a deposit around here more than paid for the them. Then when my bro in law tried to get them to come and take them back to the frat, which took a period of 3 months, they still have not been taken. He is moving and decided that if i could put them to good use then they are mine for the taking.

The only guy losing out here is the Idiot with a huge lack of responsability who could not come back and remove his kegs

I forgot one other thing, because of someone elses lack of responsibility and the three taps they left behind as well, i am trading a friend who has a 25' roll copper for the taps.:mug:

Brand new i suppose you are right.

But for a pre-owned keg, i will give you 75.

How is that for the car dealer in all of us!?

This is one of those items that will NEVER go away. Mr. Palmer (How To Brew) works with metals professionally and is of the opinion that aluminum is fine. Looking at the MSDS

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------
Inhalation:
Not expected to be a health hazard.
Ingestion:
Not expected to be a health hazard.
Skin Contact:
No adverse effects expected.
Eye Contact:
Chronic Exposure:
Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:
No adverse health effects expected.

There are certainly people who KNOW that aluminum is bad. And the fact that the govenment says it's ok is PROOF that it isn't.

Just don't try to clean it with caustic soda.

Just wanted to get that out for future searchers. There is a thread or two that debates this pretty well.

It's usually your local or micros that get pinced in the deal because they can't pass the cost on to consumers. Thats why you'll see $10 deposits in some states and $100 in others. I belive that in many cases you have to register so that law enforcement or the state can crack down on house parties.

Back