Steam injected into copper drain manifold...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would think that the slots would let to much steam out at the beginning so you would have one really hot spot......

But then again I been to lazy/broke to build my steam injection setup so I dunno :)

I understand I can add another manifold...but in keeping with the principle of KISS...
What would happen if you put a t on the outside of the cooler and add the steam there...
and get rid of the copper circle...

So I did it...120 to 150 in 12 min
120 to 165 in 15 min

One thing I found strange...The manifold bubbled when I first started. But as it warmed up...
Water started boiling in the t...
It sent bubbles back up the water line...and the entire manifold became a heating element...
I think I will add a check valve on the steam in line...but it works now...
I know wart heats up faster than water...and the water will heat faster if I stir it...
SO FAR ...SO GOOD !

Here is a pic.
100_3466.jpg

Yep...I put a thread in DIY called 5 gal MLT....
I just added steam injection and power stiring to the standard 5 gal MLT...

I like the concept of what you're doing - but the plastic lines for transferring steam, with nothing but barbs holding it together - just kind of scares me.

I hear ya...That is small hi temp hose...It is almost impossible to pull off...
There is almost no pressure on the hose as one end is always open....

Wow...that noise is a little scary...but now mine seems much less scary...I'll try it this afternoon...

do you get any "suck back" in the steam line after you turn the steam back off? I would think as the steam in the line condenses, it would draw wort (or water in your test setup) back into the steam line

It's kind of hard to see in that tube...but I think you are right...Maybe I can add a check valve...
I have no idea where I might find one...but I have used them in plumbing before...

OMG...This really works !!! There was no thumping like when I tried it with water....
I could raise the temp to whatever I wanted...The power stiring was the bomb too...No hot spots !

Back