New Brewery Build is Complete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jermanimal

Reaction score
Got the new brewery put together last weekend, soon as the weather warms up a little can get out and give this a go.

Mostly used 2 in steel, but you can see for your self below. I plan to do a direct heat recirculation, but have option for a HERMS.

82 Qt Bayou Classic for Boil
62 Qt Bayou Classic for HLT
15 gallon Boilermaker for Mash

All bayou burners, got 1/4 pipe tread orifices from Tejas Smokers.
Ajustable gas regulator with pressure valve, can go 0 to 75 psi
(Although don't need more then 20 even with all burners full open, I would bet 75 would freeze the valve in the 2 mins your canister emptied out)

All solid black pipe for gas, looks cool, but a lot of work to get it dialed in. If I was going to build again, I would put in adjustable and removable burner mounts. As it is, you have to get a friend to help take apart if there is a leak. (Fingers cross I don't get one, had to tweak on connection, you can see the valve is off center on the 1st burner.)

Left 1 tee incase I want to add in a set of pilot lights. Not worrying about it too much now, if it isn't a pain to light I am just going to deal with. I have the pilots put together, but at this point I just want to start brewing.

Only thing you don't see if the norprene high temp tubing and stainless disconnects. Also a whirlpool style sparge arm, copper from mash to boil and whirlpool immersion chiller.

5463396141_f3eebaf5df_b.jpg

5463410601_c7c5311b4d_b.jpg

5463404443_82d6535821_b.jpg

5463422175_278ce2f8c0_b.jpg

5463425327_d92a571c97_b.jpg

5463443819_fac01e8487_b.jpg

5464028670_f3354d3e6d_o.jpg

5464035022_fc4549d08b_b.jpg

Note: the boil burner screen is actually cut out of the bayou classic stand that came wit that burner, I just reused it and it bolts under the burner with the mounting bars, same as the upper burners.

Nice. Looking back on my design, I wish I would have lowered my boil kettle like yours. I like the sabco look, and it would probably be easier to tend to the boil with it a little lower.

Nice. Looking back on my design, I wish I would have lowered my boil kettle like yours. I like the sabco look, and it would probably be easier to tend to the boil with it a little lower.

I really took advantage of the lower height of the kettles, I have a limit to the height of my garage door. I wanted to brew under if raining outside. The tops of the mash and hlt are just below chin level and can see the boil while sitting at a stool. I was going to do a single tier because of this height issue, but really like the simplicity of draining to boil kettle. i am glad it worked out.

The picture with the flames is awesome! Very big propane jets!

You should have seen when I got 75 psi through that one lower tier, didn't take a photo, but it was insane. The top burners blow out at about 20 psi, but that $15 high pressure one can take a ton of gas. At 7 feet above the burner, you couldn't hold your had for more then a second, could easily burn rafters in garage.

very nice stand, it looks awesome. I also am about to start, or hope to, a build and like the design but if I am going to need a pump anyway I am leaning to a single tier.

very nice stand, it looks awesome. I also am about to start, or hope to, a build and like the design but if I am going to need a pump anyway I am leaning to a single tier.

I went through the same thought, I liked the idea of getting all the wort in the kettle though, half the pumps, half the hoses and half the fittings really sold it though.

The major pain that I realized after going through this build, was that a single tier would be much simpler to build, but more so, the gas lines would be freaking easy, doing the two levels of solid gas was really annoying...I stuck to the solid pipe and I think it looks really clean even though my brother was begging me to get flex.

Anyway you probably wouldn't think it, but the gas lines are a major issue, if you want hard pipe.

Are you running one regulator for that whole thing? Aren't those 6" burners from AgriSupply low pressure?

They are the bayou classic, same ones that come on the SQ14...they call it the "High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner".

The other one is the "High pressure Cast Iron Burner"...but actually mine specifically is disassembled from a SP10, which was also cut up to make the wind screen.

In regards to the 6 inch burner, they come with a fine drilled oriface, you can replace with a larger holed one (or drill out) for low pressure, but flame will not get super hot. Might be ok for frying fish, but not work to boil a big kettle.

I think the low/high pressure in regards to propane, is comparing 5 psi to 30 psi. The SP10 burner can take 80 psi, because tested it. The SQ14 burner blows out at 18 to 20 psi, but the advantage is that is has very fine adjustability on the low end.

What are the dimensions of the 82Qt Bayou Classic? I've been considering one for a larger HLT, but haven't beem able to find the dimensions. I assume your happy with it.

Are you running one regulator for that whole thing? Aren't those 6" burners from AgriSupply low pressure?

Oh yeah, didn't totally answer your question...

I have one regulator, but it is adjustable. I also added a pressure gauge to monitor.

Not a big deal to adjust the pressure, only need higher initially to bring up to strike temps and sparge water, then lower for mash, adjust for mash out/sparge, raise up higher for boil.

Alternatively I have left space to add needle valves to the two top burners where I would want more adjustability. In practice, I don't really need it...more likely to add a RIMS in future then mess with burner pressure or automate flames.

Oh yeah, didn't totally answer your question...

I have one regulator, but it is adjustable. I also added a pressure gauge to monitor.

Not a big deal to adjust the pressure, only need higher initially to bring up to strike temps and sparge water, then lower for mash, adjust for mash out/sparge, raise up higher for boil.

Alternatively I have left space to add needle valves to the two top burners where I would want more adjustability. In practice, I don't really need it...more likely to add a RIMS in future then mess with burner pressure or automate flames.

Do you control the flame with those red-handled valves at all? or do you never run more than one burner at once? Trying to figure out how to plumb my stand. I think I'll want to do at least 2 burners at once, if I want to do some decoctions or turbid mashing.

robbiex0r said:
Do you control the flame with those red-handled valves at all? or do you never run more than one burner at once? Trying to figure out how to plumb my stand. I think I'll want to do at least 2 burners at once, if I want to do some decoctions or turbid mashing.

I can get a little control, but not much. Run top two at same level and warm up sparge at same time as strike water in mash tun. After start sparge, don't use mash burner and only heat wort in kettle and maintain sparge temp. Not ideal, if I was going to add more control with needle valve after top mash ball valve.

Latest posts

Back