my 3 tier rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfe006

Reaction score
I spent the last month building a 3 tier brew tree. I spent a little more that I was hoping to and now I got the credit card companies calling... I need to try to sell it to get a little cash to try to pay some bills... I have no idea what to ask for the rig, i'd appreciate any advice on what to ask for it. Anyways heres the description of what I built;

The base is built out of 2"x2" steel box and measures 3'x4'. The vertical post is 3"x3" box and stands approx 6'6" tall. (yes i know it may be over engineered, but its super heavy duty and looks awesome) The three shelves are also made out of 2"x2" box. Each shelf has 170,000 btu burners that are hard plumbed onto the rig and its set up to run propane. I've gotten to use it a couple times, and it works great.

tree - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

tree2 - HomeBrewTalk Gallery

What did it cost you in materials & time? I would guess that if I paid a local welder to build the stand it would cost $400, then add in the cost of burners & piping. So $600 max for me to duplicate that without having any welding skills - which I don't. I would ask $500 or best offer and take it from there.

Since you have it listed for $800 on craigslist and have not sold it I guess that is the wrong price. You also show different specs for your burner BTU's, so are you guessing or do you know the real numbers?

i was just guessing on the burner specs when i posed it on craigslist, i looked up the actual btus when i made that post on here.

wow. $500. that seems like a lot to me. it looks just like mine. if you get $500 for it let us know. i'll start making them. i can probably make them for under $200 plus my time, but i like welding, and i am always looking for an excuse to weld, so i dont even count the labor

i was sure hoping for more than $500... but if thats it i guess i'd try it. i just based my first asking price off from the one that morebeer sells. i think they're asking 1600? anyways, i guess i'm open to offers....

wow, if tey get that much for those stands i guess i am now officially in the business of making 3 tier rigs. there is too much money in it not to.

if your including all of that, and comparing to the prices of morebeer your almost giving it away

The keggles (cut and plumbed) should bring 100 each, maybe less depending on brass vs stainless, etc. and your stand with burners should bring at least $500. The burners and plumbing add value. If I had not just built one myself, I'd consider driving down from Dallas to buy it.
Have you posted it in the DFW craigslist as well?

i tried but got denied by craigslist, it wouldn't let me post the two similar posts in two cities

Don't listen to those who say that $500 is too much money. I think that $800 is just about right. The best thing you can do is advertise it here. When you consider that the morebeer sculpture is $1800 your system is a bargin. Don't give it away because some don't understand the value of what you are selling.

I had a stand built for me that is very similar to yours and it cost me $250 which most of that was for materials. Same 2x2 box steel..... but then it cost me close to $100 for burners, hoses, fittings, etc.......just for the gas side......$15 bucks for this and $15 bucks for that adds up quick..... if you are selling everything as a package then I would say $500 is low..... if it is just for the stand then I would say it is in the ballpark.

Back