Excited Yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwood

Reaction score
Look at these little guys go...I took this video this morning, after the yeast had only been in about 16 hours.

This is the most overflow I've ever gotten out of a ferment, but I also think I got a little greedy on the fill level in the carboy...kind of close to the top.

Anyway, thought it might be a good video to share for people who are new to brewing and might assume this is a bad situation for their beer. It's not! Sometimes you make a mess, and chances are it will still come out super awesome!

Video of some bubbly bubble action

Anyway, thought it might be a good video to share for people who are new to brewing and might assume this is a bad situation for their beer. It's not!

More often than not it is bad. Vigorous ferments like this usually result in higher than acceptable temperatures. Do you know what the wort temperature is?

More often than not it is bad. Vigorous ferments like this usually result in higher than acceptable temperatures. Do you know what the wort temperature is?
Nah, treating your yeasties right often results in extreme happiness as we're seeing in the video. My WLP090 takes off like a shot and is usually at FG in ~48 hrs as long as the fermentation temp is kept right at 67 and oxygen and correct pitching rates were used.

I just pitched S-04 on the black pearl porter and it went wild like that! nice video! End of story is some truth to what bja says, my wort temp rose like wild and I was rushing around to keep things under 70F (wort temp), it was pushing on 72, the air temp was only 62. Im used to a few degrees swing but that was something else. Hydro sample after 48 hours, tastes good and ferm is 85% done, wort is back to normal temps.

I can't say I know EXACTLY what the temperature in the carboy was, but I always chill down to 21 C (69.8 F) in the brewpot before pitching. Unless there was a flash heatwave in the basement (which unfortunately happens here in SF) I don't think it was an issue with high temp.

We'll find out if any bananas show up in the stout though...:ban:

I can't say I know EXACTLY what the temperature in the carboy was, but I always chill down to 21 C (69.8 F) in the brewpot before pitching. Unless there was a flash heatwave in the basement (which unfortunately happens here in SF) I don't think it was an issue with high temp.

We'll find out if any bananas show up in the stout though...:ban:

Now see that's a problem. Fermentation generates heat, and vigorous fermentation generates a lot of heat. I've had crazy ferments get 10F warmer than ambient. You need to be measuring the temps of your beer throughout fermentation.

Yeah I have my little fish-tank thermometer on the side of the carboy. Nothing unusually high going on there, I just don't really trust those for accurate temperatures.

I really avoid taking direct temperatures during the ferment in my new place because the basement is REALLY humid and there is a ton of mold and mildew. I'm getting around to making a fridge (both for lagering and normal fermentation) to avoid this issue. In the meantime though, brewing with a little less control is better than not brewing at all.

So yes, good point: this can happen from excessive fermentation heat, but I think the sticker thermometer would have at least told me if it was grossly out of line, as in 10 deg.

So yes, good point: this can happen from excessive fermentation heat, but I think the sticker thermometer would have at least told me if it was grossly out of line, as in 10 deg.

Yea, probably. I have always found my fermometers to be between 1 and 2 degrees cooler than the actual temps of my actively fermenting beer, but close enough for keeping things in line.

Yea, probably. I have always found my fermometers to be between 1 and 2 degrees cooler than the actual temps of my actively fermenting beer, but close enough for keeping things in line.

Ah cool- that's great info for reference. I probably should just be ultra careful and take some readings to get an idea of how well these stickers are working in this new basement.

Somewhat related- I borrowed an infrared point-and-shoot thermometer from work to try some handling-free temperature gathering but it didn't like going through the carboy, unfortunately.

I always check the stick on thermometer when I transfer my cooled wort into the fermenter, they give me plus or minus a few degrees and a guide as to whether the wort is heating up, by now means are they accurate enough to be written in stone, buta guide nonetheless

Back