My Year in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
July 29, 2012 - Brew Day in the Third Bay (House IPA) - HB Double IPA

image-3126790763.jpg

Helles is a style I'd sure like to try to get familiar with lagering next fall. How did yours turn out? If you're happy with it, would you mind posting your recipe?

August 4, 2012 - Saturday Afternoon Pub Crawl, Downtown Troy & Albany

Flower Power, Ithaca Brewing - Broadway Brew in Troy
D'Hougoumont, Ommegang Brewery - The City Beer Hall in Albany
Goudenband, Liefman's Brewing - The City Beer Hall
Double Simcoe IPA, Weyerbacher Brewing -The City Beer Hall
UBU Ale, Lake Placid Brewing - The Washington Tavern in Albany

It's been awhile since I've had a saturday with nothing to do.

When I was in my twenties, saturday afternoons were almost always wide open, existing solely as a breather between going out with the lads on friday night and going out with the lads on saturday night. Since I've been married it seems like saturday afternoons have become increasingly populated by baby showers, co-worker cookouts and fifth cousin's fifth grade graduations. Throw kids and a house on the pile, and saturdays seem to magically schedule themselves innumerably into the future.

This past saturday, with the wife and kids out of town and a noontime airport drop off completed, I found myself with an afternoon wide open. It was too hot to brew and though there were a million and two projects waiting for me at home, I decided to have myself a good old fashioned random saturday. No plans and time on my hands.

I started off in downtown Troy. I wandered through a farmer's market. I picked through used books for sale on the sidewalk. I referee'd an argument between two homeless guys (toothless guy won but shirtless guy made a few solid points). I stopped in a couple of joints (one an old favorite and one a new find). I sat on the sidewalk, drank beer, shucked peanuts and people watched. I walked aimlessly around downtown, noticing all the strange and wonderful stuff I usually drive by (fixated as I usually am on stop signs and traffic lights). It was grand.

A fleeting glimpse of a tattered album cover in the oversized handbag of an emo chick spurred an impromptu phase two. I headed back across the river to Albany and my favorite used record store. There I spent an inordinate amount of time riffling through stacks of used vinyl (eventually unearthing a near mint copy of REO Speedwagon's High Infidelity - score!). Afterwards I wandered around the downtown neighborhoods where I used to live before being banished to the suburbs for a crime of passion (two actually). I stopped into an old haunt for a couple of pints and some chicken wings. I challenged the bartender to a competition on the bar's Punching Bag arcade game (she beat me soundly). I got to argue with an octogenarian barfly about the proper name for 'that cold soup'. I said it was spanish and called 'Gazpacho' - he was adamant that it originated in Germany and was called 'Gestapo'. I bonded with a couple at the bar (Syracuse to Albany transplants like myself) over how much we missed Wegman's and how the world stopped turning when the Orangeman decided to leave the Big East for the ACC. I had to ask for change for the jukebox - three separate times.

I don't long for my misspent youth (it was misspent after all) but this mindless saturday was a pleasant reminder of times past. Of a time when unplanned adventures happened (mostly because nothing was planned). When I was young and stupid and spending my time as if there was all the time in the world (mostly because there was).

image-3238509478.jpg

image-677998880.jpg

image-3216263704.jpg

image-3106359806.jpg

image-3763828368.jpg

image-2608551123.jpg

image-1915814245.jpg

image-129478218.jpg

image-2522706606.jpg

Helles is a style I'd sure like to try to get familiar with lagering next fall. How did yours turn out? If you're happy with it, would you mind posting your recipe?

I like the Helles. I've made a couple of batches for this summer and it's a nice alternative to the lower ABV 'lawnmower' beers.

Recipe is simple - biggest challenge is maintaining the fermentation temps:

• 9lbs German 2-row
  • 1lb Munich Malt
  • .5lb Cara-Pils
  • 1oz Hallertauer at 60 mins
  • 1oz Hallertauer at 15 mins
  • Munich Lager Yeast
  • Lager at 50 for six weeks

Good luck!

Got it! Thank you!

"Gistapo" soup - I got a good chuckle out of that.

Your entries here somewhat remind me of a book I'm currently reading - Charlie Papazian's "Microbrewed Adventures." You might enjoy it. I just finished a chapter where he talked about sampling 50+ year old mead from the basement of a Scottish castle. Wild!

Keep up the good work.

Got it! Thank you!

"Gistapo" soup - I got a good chuckle out of that.

Your entries here somewhat remind me of a book I'm currently reading - Charlie Papazian's "Microbrewed Adventures." You might enjoy it. I just finished a chapter where he talked about sampling 50+ year old mead from the basement of a Scottish castle. Wild!

Keep up the good work.

Sounds like a great book - I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.

Do you find yourself trying different beers more often this year, as a result of this thread? While I love to try different beers, I do tend to just drink the same beer in the same barstool.

swstim said:
Do you find yourself trying different beers more often this year, as a result of this thread? While I love to try different beers, I do tend to just drink the same beer in the same barstool.

Since I started the project I've definitely been seeking out new beers to try. It's been great fun.

Back