Blackberry Melomel question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipmont

Reaction score
Blackberry season is just around the corner, and I have melomel on my mind. I made some pretty good stuff last year, but had an issue. After secondary ferment was complete, I had about a gallon on some sort of gel/pectin like substance which had precipitated out on the bottom. I never used pectic enzyme, but have never had this issue in the past.

I have also heard that you shouldn't squeeze the pulp bag too hard when transferring from primary to secondary or else this sort of thing is bound to happen, which seems like a terrible waste of valuable juice and flavor. Perhaps squeezing all the juice out of the bag necessitates extra enzymes?

Or is there something else that could be causing this?

I froze and mashed the blackberries for my batch. I used a potato masher for this, which made it easy. I didn't use the enzyme either and didn't have any issue like that.

Thanks for the replies. I freeze my berries too. Usually works like a charm, even without enzymes.

Perhaps the overnight drip would do the trick, but after my last experience I'd be worried that even that might let more through than I wanted. I guess I should split the next batch and do the ole' bench trials thing ...

Thanks again

Well, its my understanding, that pretty much all fruit has some pectin. So it makes sense to hit it with pectic enzyme once the must is mixed.

Even if its not needed, it seems that it also helps with colour and flavour extraction. So as it doesn't (apparently) cause any flavour/taste issues, why not......

I tend to agree with the use of pectic enzyme. There seem to be no drawbacks and several advantages. My guess is that I got lucky in the past without enzymes, for reasons that I didn't even understand. Perhaps the ripeness of the fruit played in, which undoubtedly varies year to year. Or perhaps it was something else.

In any case, it seems my next approach should be to just add the appropriate enzymes and do my usual squeezing of the bag when removing from primary, in order to see what effect the enzymes alone have.

Thanks for the feedback -

Latest posts

Back