Brewmasters Warehouse Low Efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twinturboa51

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone else experience extremely low efficiency with grains purchased from Brewmasters? Granted their brew builder is a great tool, but I'm always well below 70% with the grains I buy from them. I also see significantly more twigs in the mash tun as well. My last batch from them was 66% the batch before that 65%. I brewed a batch in between those two with grains from my local brew store and hit 74%.

Which malt were you using from them? Any changes to the mash regime at all?

I can say that we have been known to have a really good crush for a long time and we have not changed a thing with the crush. If you notice a lot of intact husks from grains it is because we use a 3 roller mill that allows us to crush very finely without destroying the husk.

I actually get my best with grains from there, and I have used most the big online vendors a well as 3 or 4 other local shops.

Sometimes I buy four identical batches at once from them and my efficiencies are never exactly the same. But if I'm calculating everything correctly with my BIAB setup (I ask for finer crush) I usually get high 80's on average but it always varies. I have a little tougher time with higher gravity recipes but I'm working on that.

I always have higher efficiencies with Brewmasters crush than with grain purchased and crushed other places.

I've never gotten less than 75% with grains from them, and all but one of my AG batches have been ordered from there. They seem to get a bit backed up on shipping sometimes, but I've always received a good product from them.

I will add in my agreement to others here. BMW crush has always given me higher efficiency than other brew shops.... Always been a great crush.

my last 2 or 3 batches were terrible efficiency and also came from BMW. but on the other hand, i buy my grain exclusively from them because, historically, i have gotten better results from their crush than my lbhs.

i've blamed my recent poor results on changes in process and equipment. made a new manifold cause i was tired of vorlaufing for 10+ minutes and still seeing grain, but the new manifold is no better (straining through hop bag now to solve that). also started using beersmith, which has recommended strike temps that cause my mash to end up 5+ degrees to high :/

tl;dr: will continue to get my grain from bmw

I have a barley crusher, but recently accidentally ordered my grains from bmw crushed. I got better efficiency with their crush than my own. Maybe I should seell my bc

Were the beers all the same OG? You'll get lower efficiency with bigger grain bills unless you collect more and boil more. I've had a better crush with them than doing it myself (but I'm still tweaking).

I brewed up an Arrogant Bastard clone that I purchased from Brewmaster's and the efficiency was 72.3%. I was pleased, the beer is fermenting aggressively and I'm expecting an awesome beer in a month.

I've bought from these guys, hadn't noticed any problems. Beer tastes great. I'll buy again from them.

BMW's crush has always been great. I used to average around 90% eff with their crush. Then, last year sometime, something changed (I think it was around the time they moved)-I still get great eff but more like 85% now. So their crush is still better than any other places I've tried.

I am seeing lower efficiency from them for the first time-nothing has changed with my system and my volumes are spot on. None of these beeres were huge, but:
1.063 @ 75% efficiency was actually 1.058
1.059 @ 75% was 1.055
and 1.061 was 1.056
they also forgot some hops in the order I received today that I was planning to brew onto a slurry from a cream ale, but owrse htings have happened in my life, oh well...

Back