Attempting 40%+ ABV beer... "Barley Brandy"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has the recipe been posted? I'm not digging thru 5 pages....wait how the f is this 5 pages already...??

freakin' massholes!

Oh, sorry. My bad. I thought you were be kind of a condesending dbag. I must have read your post wrong. My bad.

Edit: jeeeeesus. Lots o' traffic before I could respond.

Fair enough. It is hard to convey tone over the internet. And I apologize for my rather rude response to your comment. Group hug!

has the recipe been posted? I'm not digging thru 5 pages....wait how the f is this 5 pages already...??

freakin' massholes!

I got your recipe right here...

First... You wanna get some Kaiser Malt. Then, at LEAST four lbs of peated.

(no, I haven't posted a recipe yet. I definitely will though. It certainly isnt top secret. It is basically PTN's and Yeagers U1 recipe with some minor changes)

having made maple syrup, i can promise you that removing 50% of water will not make your beer super thick at all. it will be slightly thickened, like a good liquor should be, but far from syrup. good luck, this sounds like a killer experiment!

made maple syrup with my grandfather eons ago (tapped his own trees, etc.) you want to talk about long boils - holy sh**...

can we get back to one masshole insulting the other massholes now? :)

oh, and am i the only one going "wtf" on a 240 bu IIIII(how many I's?)PA? lol - awesome... i want to try that beer...

I wouldn't use the peat malt either. I hate that schit and it pisses me off when American brewers put it in their Scotch ales. If you want some smoke use some Rauch malt or smoke your own...oh oh... how about stick some in the smoker next time you're doing a pork shoulder or something? Mmm, maybe it'll add a hint of bacon to the beer.

PTN came into the store yesterday and was saying he won't be able to get online until Sunday or Monday.. can't wait to see his initial response to this thread.

add 2ounces peat malt, by the time it ages, i doubt anyone will pick any of it up, it will just be hidden complexity

oh, and am i the only one going "wtf" on a 240 bu IIIII(how many I's?)PA? lol - awesome... i want to try that beer...

You might be... Its just a 10% ABV Pliney clone. Most of the "Massholes" on this thread have had it and it actually won a 'best in show' at a homebrew fest last fall. I added one "I" and call it a "triple IPA" partly beause of the ABV but more because the hops are off the charts.

Gettin nervous about tomorrow being the brew day for batch number 1 of the U clone. The IIIPA is still hammering away somethig fierce on the airlock and if fermentation is still going that strong I may want to leave it alone for a couple more days.

Gettin nervous about tomorrow being the brew day for batch number 1 of the U clone. The IIIPA is still hammering away somethig fierce on the airlock and if fermentation is still going that strong I may want to leave it alone for a couple more days.

Go for it. Remember, the IIIPA isn't the issue; think how wonderful it'll be to pitch the U-clone on such an active ferment. Those yeasties are ACHING for more sugar! That uber-active fermenting yeast is just what the REAL beer wants to get started with.

If the IIIPA gets stuck later on (small probability), deal with it later. Or, don't, and just call it a barleywine.

Just read through your thread, good luck brotha!!! Im not smart enough to offer any (useful) advice.

Maybe if you brewed a big beer, lets say 10% ABV, then eisenbock it as a research and see how it goes. See if you can get a 10% RIS, up to 20%. Test your theory small scale, then ramp up. You could also use that yeast cake to help your U clone.

Another idea, what about using a hearty yeast like Wyeasts Pacman? That thing chews up sugar and ****s alcohol. Its like the Energizer Bunny of yeasts. I would make a 1 gallon starter of that stuff. It also has a high ABV tolerance.

After brewing with you and seeing you brew I can say with confidence you'll be just fine. If you need it "good luck" but I know you'll be better than good. I hope I secure a bottle from that! But seriously you'll be fine. if you need help give me a call. I've got you keg coming and I've got your "present" coming. Really.

I probably would have donated a bottle after that much azzkissing but I don't think I will ever actually bottle this (if it is done).

Yeah, I gotta get that keg when I can. I could use the fermenter space leading up to the NIHFC.

Slow this morning... getting the rig sanitized in an hour or so (gotta have a big breakfast)

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not (since the topic is already way popular) but in order to get 40% abv by "eis" ing a beer it would take freezer temps at about -20f which I think is in the medical freezer range.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not (since the topic is already way popular) but in order to get 40% abv by "eis" ing a beer it would take freezer temps at about -20f which I think is in the medical freezer range.

Yup... It was brought up. I am planning on bringing it down to -6ish in my regular freezer and then packing it in a cooler with dry ice. I am planning on then slowly stirring it almost like an ice cream maker to bring the solution down even further and hopefully give me the cold temp I need.

Done with breakfast, gonna sanitize the rig and fire up the pots. Luckily it is already the hottest and most humid day of the year. Sweeeeeet

Saaaweet! Nothing better than standing next to 200+ degrees of a burner and it's 100 degrees out.

I'll be bringing the keg to this months meeting unless you'll be up here sooner.

Pots lit.

Jeeeeeeeeeesus its hot and muggy. I even had to break down and go tough guy brewing (no shirt).

Its NOT freakin attractive. I look like a ziplock full of mayonaisse.

Yup... It was brought up. I am planning on bringing it down to -6ish in my regular freezer and then packing it in a cooler with dry ice. I am planning on then slowly stirring it almost like an ice cream maker to bring the solution down even further and hopefully give me the cold temp I need.

If you can get it a little colder (-40 range) you would be able to burn it as a fuel... just sayin' :D

Do you pull rice hulls in a grain bill that make to make your sparging easier? I imagine a wort of that viscosity has a propensity to stick.

This thread is aweome, I just wish I could actually participate. When i say participate I mean drink all your beer.

Yup. Beers a piece a cake..

Overshot my OG. LOL

I have 11 gallons of 1060 and am coming up to a boil. Was boiling down to 3 gallons. Mathematically thats gonna give me 3 gallon at 1220. I was shooting for 3 at 1213. And I havent added any syrup yet.

Fermenters for the IIIPa cleaned. Goinf to sanitize tem, rack the IIIPA and then i am going to dump the yeast cake into a sterlized carboy. Might actually wash it once as well. I'll then dump the U batch on that cake with a ton of oxygen.

Used rice hulls but didnt need them. I use them out of habit.

And this wort was nothing special at all. Contrary to how PTN makes it sound, this is a really easy beer to brew. All I did was create 11 gallons pf 1060 wort... Nothing special there at all.

Now I am simply boiling down to three gallons. My kettle will run for about three hours and I'll chill.

Nothing really difficult about it.

Now.... The fermenting... THATS the trick

Back