First time botting in Grolsch bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer604

Reaction score
I Just bottled my pseudo Pilsner.
This is batch #3 for me and i think it is my best brew.
First time using swing top bottles.
It is much faster than capping them.

1489-just-finished-bottling.jpg

1490-grolsh-ready-bottle-conditioning.jpg

I also have a question.
While brewing I accidentally stepped the crystal malt for 60min instead of 30.
while bottling I noticed a slightly sweetish taste. Could the overstepping cause the additional sweetness? Or it will disappear during bottle conditioning?
The OG at bottling time was 1.011.

Thank You.

The sweetness could be from your priming sugar.

I wouldn't worry about steeping for an hour vs. 30 min.

I've got a few of the swing tops from Howe Sound Brewing; 1 litre, so they make short work of bottling, and will double nicely as growlers for filling "to go" off my Tap-A-Draft when I get it up and running.

I tried the hydro sample, no priming sugar.

The large bottles are from Howe sound, how did you know?
A friend started to drink them so I can have the bottles. :mug:
I can't believe they cost almost $7.- a bottle!!!

I have a bunch of the 1 litre swing tops, including some Howe Sound Oatmeal stout bottles. They are great for bringing to parties and for those nights when you want a big beer. I use swing tops almost exclusively and prefer them to capping.

Beer604 - If you want more bottles I've heard that you can go to Howe Sound Brew Pub and buy the used bottles for fifty cents each. They get them back from the recycling places. Not a bad reason for a drive to Squamish.

Thank you for the tip Whitebirdfeathers.
I will check it out if I find another reason to drive up to Squamish.

I've been buying Howe Sound beer for the last couple of weeks with it in mind to use them for bottling my first batch. Good to know about the bottles in Squamish.

Thank you for the tip Whitebirdfeathers.
I will check it out if I find another reason to drive up to Squamish.

I wish I was close enough to Squamish, I could get some bottles and ride my bike. Excellent mountain biking area.

No lie, first thing I thought when I saw all those Grolsch bottles and the carriers was,
"Wow, I feel sorry for him. He had to drink all that Grolsch just to get bottles. Eww. :("

My neighbor loves Grolsch and get's the 4 pack every few months. I have about a case of them so far. Since I've moved to mostly kegging, it's nice to fill a few from the keg to take tailgating, golfing and fishing.

My neighbor loves Grolsch and get's the 4 pack every few months. I have about a case of them so far. Since I've moved to mostly kegging, it's nice to fill a few from the keg to take tailgating, golfing and fishing.

Don't give him any homebrew, he might stop drinking the Grolsch. ;)

No lie, first thing I thought when I saw all those Grolsch bottles and the carriers was,
"Wow, I feel sorry for him. He had to drink all that Grolsch just to get bottles. Eww. :("

It wasn't easy. :p
After a few 4 packs I got used to it.
Best time to dispose of the content
of those Grolsch bottles is during hot summer days. imho

It wasn't easy. :p
After a few 4 packs I got used to it.
Best time to dispose of the content
of those Grolsch bottles is during hot summer days. imho

I've had good Grolsch before, but only from a PX on Ft. Bragg, where they knew how to handle beer without it skunking. They had good Rolling Rock too, believe it or not.

I wandered in to a local grocery and there they were...
I didn't even see who or what they were, I just saw those gorgeuos huge bottle gleaming under the artificial light. Picked up the Total Eclipse of the Hop which the bottle lady said was good. $11.99 is a lot for me to spend on one bottle, but its big and bail top. Now if I can just get the bottle lady for the store nearest me to carry them.

Back