Brew day - brewing a duvel clone! (pics attached)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve973

Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

Some of you might've seen a couple of my threads concering different aspects of culturing duvel yeast and getting the most out of our saccarification rests. Well, we brewed yesterday, and I thought we'd share some highlights regarding this very successful session!

The culture showing some activity:
IMG_4471.jpg

HERMS doing its thing:
_IGP0018.jpg

Good conversion happening, which is evident in the clarity of wort in the lines:
_IGP0019.jpg

Now for the sparge! Notice how beautifully light and clear the runnings are:
_IGP0032.jpg

The runnings are stopped at 1.010:
_IGP0050.jpg

And OG came out to a whopping 1.090! Our calculated efficiency came out to an incredible 88.83% according to Beer Tools Pro:
_IGP0086.jpg

Now that everything is done, and the wort is chilled, our duvel culture plus a starter of white labs golden ale yeast goes into the conical:
_IGP0089.jpg

Now the waiting begins! We had bubbles begin in the first hour due to our awesome starters and probably also due to aeration with pure oxygen. Today its bubbling at about 2 or 3 per second through the airlock. I'll keep you posted!

It was going really, really fast for about 12 hours, but now it has begun to slow down just a touch. It's now sending 1-2 bubbles per second through the airlock, which is nothing to sneeze at!

Back