Dry hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
I am going to be brewing an IPA that my LHBS guy makes. it calls for 2oz of hops for 60 then another 1oz at 10 min. My question is should there be hops added to the primary ( i think that is called dry hopping correct)?

Or is that not always a step needed when making an IPA?

Reverend

It's not necessary, but it will contribute to the aroma of your beer

From Lee Janson's "Brew Chem": "Dry hopping actually extracts less oxygenated products than flavoring or aromatic boils, leading to increased intensity and stability of the humulene aromatics. Therefore, the flavors and aromas of these hydrocarbons are probably present only when dry hopping is used".

Also, don't add it to the primary. There's a lot of activity going on in there and you don't want to mess around with those delicate humulene aromatics. But it in the secondary for a few days to a week.

Make sure you sterilize your stuff, too! I got a wild yeast infection in my last IPA from foolishly not sterilizing my whole hops, and my beer is disgusting. Next time I'm steaming them, and using pellets...let me tell you, getting an ounce of hops leaves out of the fermenter is NOT easy.

Dry-hopping is not a technical requirement for the IPA style; however, it just adds hop aroma and flavors without adding much perceivable bitterness. I wouldn't add to primary, though. Let the yeasties do their job, then add them to the empty secondary fermenter just prior to racking into it

pariah said:
Next time I'm steaming them, and using pellets...let me tell you, getting an ounce of hops leaves out of the fermenter is NOT easy.

Yeah, I still have to clean those out of my carboy. I didn't steam, tho...but the still beer tasted good at bottling, so I don't think I got any infection. Do you have a Jet bottle/carboy washer?

Nope, no washer. I held it upside down and scooped them out with my fingers a few at a time. Combined with all the settled crap from the bottom of the fermenter, it was a messy and disgusting job.

pariah said:
Nope, no washer. I held it upside down and scooped them out with my fingers a few at a time. Combined with all the settled crap from the bottom of the fermenter, it was a messy and disgusting job.

That does sound messy. I hope my bottle washer will have a better time of it.

Dry hopping is what makes an IPA an IPA, IMHO. I don't bother with it in any other style.

Throw them in the secondary for a week or two, hops dont carry infection.

I have dry hopped twice and I never sanitized or steamed my hops.
I just threw them in the secondary and let it go for about a week( my usual stay in the secondary)
One was a pale ale and the other was a real nice wheat. both done with cascades.

I used a bottle washer attached to the faucet and didn't have too hard a time getting the hops out, ( I use whole hops only).
At least I thougth it was worth the effort:mug:
Oh and I'm not too sure dry hopping is necissary for an IPA, IPA'S are in my opinion a bit bitter and that comes from boiling the hops

I started my first batch of beer and I misread the directions and threw the hops for dry-hopping (1 oz of Centennial) into the primary before fermentation, like you would oak chips before fermenting wine. I am making a Stone IPA clone. I plan on getting some more hops from the LHBS to add to the secondary to compensate. Does anyone have a good feel for how much "hoppiness" I might lose through fermentation? I was going to try another 1/2 oz, unless tasting it out of the primary makes me think otherwise.

Cheers,
Doug

Back