Uses for Booster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewer1426

Reaction score
This is in regards to Mr.Beer Booster. I searched, but it's like finding a needle in a stack of needles.

When I made my second batch, I didn't use the Booster; instead going with 1lb of DME.

I have two cans of HME that I will be using for my next batches and will probably be ditching the Booster for those as well. My two questions are:

1) Can I use the Booster in ADDITION to DME? Pros/cons?

2) If I have 3 pouches of this stuff left, is it just good for the Apfelwein and that it?

Thank you very much.

1) looks like the booster is just more sugar so it'll just make the beer a more alcoholic. Might want to add another ounce of dry hops to balance the added sweetness if you end up using both.
2) I've never used Mr. Beer so I don't know. booster doesn't look like it'll contribute much flavor, so it should work with any recipe, although it'll make it a little drier.

You can use the booster in addition to the extract if you want, when I did it I only used half a pouch. The real disadvantage of the booster is that if used as more than 15-20% of the total fermentable bill, it can add a cidery taste to your beer. Other than that, it's pretty neutral and shouldn't require rebalancing of the hops. Just boosts the ABV.

I did use my leftover booster for Apfelwein.

Okay, good to know. I'll use 1/2 a pouch then for the next one.

Save the remaining two for an Apfelwein down the road.

Back