Just Another DIY Keezer Thread…WWII Style!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ManhattanProjectBrewing

Reaction score
So I was saying to myself awhile back... “Self, I need a project. I’ve been wanting to keg. I need a keezer but not one that’s just a white box with beery goodness inside.” So, I set out to find a vintage freezer with character that I can transform into a keezer that’s straight outta WWII with a little modern twist… The modern twist being, you guessed it, it’s a KEEZER!

Fast forward a few weeks and boom. Old[er] chest freezer with charm. Granted, it doesn’t look like much now but hopefully, key word hopefully, I will be able to pull off a keezer that:

1.) Looks remnant of the WWII era to fit the Manhattan Project Brewing concept.
2.) Something the SWMBO will actually allow IN the house.
3.) Functions properly (That should be number one ;)).
4.) Doesn’t break the bank (Which ultimately would require sleepovers in the RV)
And…
5.) A draft system that could be upgraded (Initial 4 taps) as time / money allows.

As the days allow I will document my progress and see if we can pull off the keezer of yesteryear…If that even makes sense. Salute!

Cheers,

-JM

20130905_144216.jpg

20130905_144152.jpg

20130905_144204.jpg

20130905_144208.jpg

That looks great! What's the Manhatten Project look gonna involve? Maybe the graphics like these? Or you gonna paint Fat Boy on the side?

bohr.jpg

manhattan-project.jpg

It’ll have an old well-worn, foot locker-esque collar with OD green body, centered white star, a tag line, and our logo (As seen below) somewhere on the body (Maybe the sides… Have’ta figure that out)… We're going for an old aircraft / military chest type feel. Should be fun!

Cheers,

-JM

MPBC_Logo_FINAL_BG.jpg

..... Life takes a looooong time. None-the-less, I have been able to make some headway in my little keezer project. However, I did learn some valuable lessons.

1.) I should never do a documentary.... I suck at detailing progress.

2.) Though my vision was accurate my ability to gauge size is not. (This thing is HUGE!

3.) I am not much of a builder... I'll stick to brewing.

ANYhoo, here is what I have to date. I still have to apply the decals and vinyl artwork but she's up, operational, and holding temp quite nicely. The first few pics detail roughing up the wood to make it look old, used, and abused. Then I simply filled in the "aging" with nigrosine (black die) and sprayed the "old" on.... It was then beginning to take shape.

More to come,

-jms

20130916_224936.jpg

20130916_224942.jpg

20130916_225009.jpg

20130917_000050.jpg

20130917_000135.jpg

..I missed a lot of progress pics because life is hard and I am an impatient SOB so I lacked the enthusiasm to take photos along some of the way because of my frustration at my building skills.... That's another story. In the final pics you see the finished product empty then with the glorious malty goodness installed and finally......

Enjoy,

-jms

20130926_134029.jpg

20130926_134042.jpg

20130929_050049.jpg

20130929_050102.jpg

Looks sweet! You should paint the ribbing on the chest white, like the stripes they had on the Gooney Birds.

Looks sweet! You should paint the ribbing on the chest white, like the stripes they had on the Gooney Birds.

The sections on either side of the taps (above the ribs) will have a row of white stars and below the ribs will be our slogan. And on the top [lid], our logo... Pics to come. Thanks!

-jms

I am curious how this turned out.. Any updates? for i am thinking of doing an Army Themed Keezer myself.

I've been absent for too long on HBT and have missed a lot of really cool DIY projects. Great work, I love it! Any recent pics. of the finished product?

:mug:

That is a sweet sweet looking keezer!!!! The OD Green looks great with that collar. Much love from this old army grunt

Back