New England Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fspinale

Reaction score
ORDER IS CLOSED!

Seeing as we filled the first pallet in 2 days I would say there is enough interest in making this group buy official.

This buy is open to everyone and the pickup location will be in Bedford, NH. Just outside Manchester and close to Rt 93, 293 & Rt 3. About 15 minutes from the MA border.

The sign up spread sheet is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As-slHdUQ1XtdGZjb1BQY1RyVXQzVFNmZUpRdndTMXc#gid=0

1. Need 84 sacks to order. Additional pallets can be added if there is demand for them in increments of 42 Sacks.
2. People will have to come and pick up their bags at the drop off location on a specific date and time after the order has been received (near Manchester, NH). This will most likely be a Saturday morning (10am-12pm) following arrival of shipment. Volunteers would be appreciated to help sort and split grains about an hour prior to pickup depending on the size of the order. All orders will be sorted prior to any being released.
3. Payment details will be addressed by Godrick soon. The pricing on the spreadsheet is an approximation but will be close to actual.

We buy directly through NCM - this means that we will get true wholesale bulk pricing!
~$30 2Row + shipping (~$4-6)
~$40 Marris Otter + shipping (~$4-6)

To see the catalog, go to:http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/download.asp?f=f6
The password is "greatmalt".

Pricing (Use 4000#+ pricing)
Pricing on the spread sheet is an estimate. Plan for about $4-6 per bag for shipping cost and (no tax) on your portion of the order. The prices should be pretty darn close but may vary slightly.

The pricing on this sheet has carried over from the last group buy and some may not be accurate. It would also be helpful if someone would verify the price per Lb and sack weight is accurate. Please let me know about any corrections needed and i will take care of it.

Cleaning Chemicals carry an additional HAZMAT surcharge and this cost will be spread out over all the chemical purchases. The first order entered on the sheet will see this entire charge added but as more chemical purchases are added it will automatically be adjusted.

My mailbox here can fill up quickly and is often full. I can be reached at my username here @ gmail.com.

This will probably be the only group buy at this location until after the new year. The company that is receiving the order for us gets very busy during the fall. If everything goes well with this order we can plan on 3 or 4 per year at this location.

Any and all helpful suggestions welcome to make this as easy as possible for everyone involved.

Frank

I'm definitely in. I might be adding some more bags for some local buddies too. I'll most likely be able to pitch in with sorting/weighing/loading etc.

I will post information on how to pay for your order shortly.
Still looking for someone willing to bring our malt (14 bags) closer to Western MA if possible.
Thanks,
godrick

Everyone should have received the information on how to make payment by now. If not, contact me by PM.

godrick

We filled the first two pallets. Unless the majority of folks want to extend this to a third pallet I will clean up the spreadsheet later today. I will double check the pricing and clear out the unfilled splits. If you havent already added your HBT user name to the spreadsheet please update it soon.

I have cleared out the open splits on the sreadsheet. Your totals should now be accurate. Only thing we are not sure of at this point is if the HAZMAT charge applies to this order where there is no StarSan (liquid) only PBW (dry).
I made a copy of the spreadsheet before clearing out the splits. So, in the event we need to reopen this order I will put the partial quantities back in so they can fill up.

Update: HAZMAT only applies to star san. So this order will not carry a HAZMAT fee. Totals are correct but shipping will be adjusted once we receive the total amount from NCM.

If all goes well with this one I would like to do another at this location in late fall/early winter .

Wow! That was fast! While procrastinating for just 8 days (not sure about getting time off on a Saturday with short notice) I missed out.

It seemed like the one in late spring took a lot longer to fill.

Got to get the grain will it is still cheap. Who knows how much it will be after all the droughts.

60% of corn crop is dead or something crazy like that.

We are ready to receive payments for your grain & place the order.

Payment must be done through certified check or money order via snail mail, and will be required up front before the order is placed. Personal check is an option but will delay the order by a few days.

Buyers will have 1 week to submit payment.

Paypal will not be used unless you are willing to pay the fees involved (I'm hearing that Paypal is charging fees now for this kind of purchase).

What fspinale said below: Go to the spread sheet to get your correct total with shipping.

I've already PM'd everyone my home address, but if you didn't get it PM me and I'll send it again.

godrick

The Totals on the spreadsheet are now correct and include shipping costs. These are the amounts due.

It seems like I've made a slight error...first grain buy.

Godrick, I've slightly overpaid you via Paypal...if it is fine, keep the difference and it is fine by me. ;) I blame the skeeter pee.

...and now back to my mash. :D

From PayPal:
Sending money: Fees

It's free to send money in the U.S. to friends and family when you use your PayPal balance or bank account. Fees apply when you use a debit or credit card, or the payment is international. In most cases, the sender decides who pays these fees.

Receiving money: Fees

Receiving personal payments from friends or family in the U.S. is free when they send the money using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account. An example of a personal payment would be receiving $20 from a family member as a birthday gift.
PayPal has a standard rate for receiving payments for goods and services. An example of this might be receiving money for an item you sold through a classified ad, or a payment for work that you performed for someone else. If you have a Personal account, after a certain number of payments for goods and services you will need to upgrade to a Premier account.
If you receive more than $3,000.00 USD per month, you may apply for PayPal's Merchant Rate, which offers lower fees for higher sales volumes.

Looks like it is only an issue if you are using a CC.

Chris

Any idea how much the fee is, if this is not really the case?

goybar said:
From PayPal:
Sending money: Fees

It's free to send money in the U.S. to friends and family when you use your PayPal balance or bank account. Fees apply when you use a debit or credit card, or the payment is international. In most cases, the sender decides who pays these fees.

Receiving money: Fees

Receiving personal payments from friends or family in the U.S. is free when they send the money using only their PayPal balance or their bank account, or a combination of their PayPal balance and bank account. An example of a personal payment would be receiving $20 from a family member as a birthday gift.
PayPal has a standard rate for receiving payments for goods and services. An example of this might be receiving money for an item you sold through a classified ad, or a payment for work that you performed for someone else. If you have a Personal account, after a certain number of payments for goods and services you will need to upgrade to a Premier account.
If you receive more than $3,000.00 USD per month, you may apply for PayPal's Merchant Rate, which offers lower fees for higher sales volumes.

Looks like it is only an issue if you are using a CC.

Chris

Any idea how much the fee is, if this is not really the case?

No fee only applies to sending money as a gift. If you send it as a purchase of goods or services there will be a fee deducted from the total no matter what method of payment you choose.

The fee as stated earlier is 2.9% + $.30

Let me know if anyone falls through. I'm subscribed to the thread for the next purchase but if you need someone to pickup common purchases I might step in. I'm up in Nashua all the time and live near rt 2/495 down in MA if anyone needs a dropoff.

The grain is in. There were 3 bags damaged during shipment. We are working to get those replaced or refunded now. The pick up will be next saturday September 8th at 11 AM. The address will be sent out to everyone soon. If i could get 2 people to commit to meeting me there at 10 AM to sort the grain that would be very helpful. Also, the people that are splitting the bag of C-30 and the PBW be sure to bring something to put it in.

I have no concept of how much PBW 1/4 split is. Will it fit in a 5 gallon bucket?

Chris

I will try to get there a little early to help with any splitting/sorting required.

The whole container of pbw comes in a five gallon bucket to give you an idea of the size.

Hey guys,

I know I said I'd bring my scale and help split, but unfortunately I cannot attend Saturday afternoon. I could probably come by Friday afternoon/evening and help organize/split. Or Saturday morning around 7 am to do the same (for an hour or so), but my late morning/afternoon is booked.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out Friday afternoon/evening or early Saturday morning.

Cheers!

If anyone still needs the address please send me a PM. I will be arriving at 10 AM Saturday morning and as soon as everything is sorted and accounted for you may take your grain. If everyone arrives early and pitches in we can probably have this sorted out in about 20 minutes. But at the very least please try to be there no later than 11AM. See you all Saturday.

I have a couple of cases of empty bottles. If anybody wants them let me know and I'll bring them Saturday. All 12 ounce brown bottles, rinsed out but with labels still on.

Is there anyone who lives up north, in VT or NH that would be willing to pick up my bucket of PBW and a sack of grain?

I'm in Hanover and unfortunately can't make it.

Cheers!

Anyone in the Boston Metro-west area that CAN'T make it up to NH tomorrow? I'll be heading up tomorrow morning to pick up my sacks so if anyone can't make it and would like me to pick up their order, I can swing it. I live in Framingham. Let me know.

fspinale I'll take those bottles off your hands if nobody else needs them. I could use more empty bottles.

I should be there by 10:30.

I have a case and a half of delabeled bottles I will bring. I don't bottle much anymore and I was going to recycle them.

Back