Michigan & Wisconsin Travel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdwiggi

Reaction score
Michigan & Wisconsin Travel

I don't know if I have this in the correct location but here it goes.

The wife and I are going to be in Michigan and Wisconsin on a road trip for about a week and a half. We are going to go to New Glarus, WI for spotted cow, Milwaukee for Milwaukee, Mackinac Island to bike, and South Bend IN for Touch Down Jesus. Any other beer or otherwise suggestion would you suggest for our trip. I have included a map of our approximate route but the route can change when some things is suggested.
Route

Thanks
cd

When you go through grand rapids stop off at brewery vivant. It's in a old church and have some crazy good beer and food. There is also founders in grand rapids as well

When you goto grand rapids check out brewery vivant, it's in an old church and they have crazy good beers and food. There is also founders in grand rapids.

You are passing pretty close to Three Floyds Brewing in Munster. I would go up to Madison through Mt. Horeb and stop at the Grumpy Troll to eat. Actually I would recommend The Vintage on the south side of Madison. I like them a little better. Good burgers.

Highly recommend stopping at Ale Asylum in Madison. Also, Great Dane, Vintage, and Capital Brewery are all great.

I'd go from Mackinac to Bellaire, for Short's Brewing Company. It's my favorite brewpub.

It's a nice ride, too, down I-75 a short way and then a little side trip through the "Tunnel of Trees". http://www.upnorthmichigan.com/Drives/tunneltrees.htm If you don't want the side trip, going down US31 off of I-75 will take you to Bellaire, where Short's is. You can't go to northern Michigan and miss Short's!

is there a reason you're taking 41 out of green bay? If there isn't, i'd suggest taking 43 down. It's faster, and that way you can hit Sprecher, Lakefront Brewing, and Milwaukee Brewing Company in succession as you drive south. Also on 43, there is the new Water Street Brewery just off the freeway at the Grafton exit (Hwy 60). Then you can hop on 94 west and make your stop at Northern Brewer.

On your route, hit up Saugatuck Brewing Co in Saugatuck, New Holland In Holland, all are right off 196.
Founders and Vivant in downtown Grand Rapids, Hopcat in Grand Rapids is worth it too.
Then Shorts up by Traverse City
Pick up a six pack (or 4 pack at Vivant) at each one of these places to serve as souvenirs of your travels.
+1 on the Lakefront brewery in Wisc.

I would adjust your route leaving Madison just a bit. Go to the Verona Road/Midvale BLVD exit and head north about half a mile to The Vintage instead of getting off on Seminole Highway. Madison has The Vintage, Great Dane, and Ale Asylum all as brewpubs. That is the order I would rank them taking food into consideration.

There is also Tyranena Brewery between Milwaukee and Madison.(in Lake Mills) They are open
4:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. on Monday through Thursday
3:00 p.m. to midnight on Friday & Saturday
Noon to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday

If you are going through Appleton there is a good brewpub called Stone Cellar.

Cheap, but notable road foods:

WI: Cheese curds, butter burgers and all u can eat fish on friday

MI: Coney Dogs. The best chili dogs in the USA are found in MI. Made with real beef hearts!

IL: Italian beef and sausage sammich which isn't very common in most states. Deep dish pizza.

IN: Not aware of anything notable, but they do serve food at Three Floyds.

Check out Bells Brewery in Kalamazoo, Michigan! Also Founders in Grand Rapids, MI and Dark Horse in Marshall, MI. All great brewery's!

So you asked for this...

Up to Madison that is all is ok. Leaving Madison as someone else pointed out stop in at Tyranena, if possible.

In Milwaukee head to the Lakefront Brewery it is the best brewery tour I have ever taken and the beer is unreal good. ASK TO GO DOWN THE BREWER'S SLIDE!!! Not far away is Discount Liquors, this is where you can find the biggest selection of beers in the state, it is much like the holy land. Look for special run Sprecher's or other hard to find stuff.

Time to head north...
Since you are headed by Appleton right off HWY 41 is The Old Bavarian Restaurant on Collage Avenue. A HBC member is the brew master, The schnitzel is a MUST to try (I like the Art Das Haus with Spatzel. They bring you a LOT of food, think platter not plate.) Then over to the bar side for a fast game of Hammershlagen. This place is also a hotel so you may want to see about spending the night there. ;)

Next stop is Green Bay. Home of the Best football team in the NFL and the Hall of Fame. If you get sucked into that you are on your own. But in Green Bay Is Title Town Brew Pub. Food is great Beer is awesome and they have LOTS of different kinds to try. If you ask they will give you a quick tour. Across the street is Hinterland, If you have time they also make great beers.

Things to look for at liquor stores in WI:
Oso's - Night Train Porter
Point - Cascade Pale
New Glarus - Black Top (GABF winner last year) and Cherry or Raspberry Tart
Tyranena - Rocky's Revenge/Fresh Scurvy
Hinterland - Luna Coffee stout
Sprecher - Black Lager

Cheese curds are novel but treat yourself to some 10 year or older cheddar. There is a place right out of Madison that advertises 15 year right on 151.

Have a great trip!

Don't forget to pick up some Golden Ale at New Glarus. It is a limited edition brewery only beer.

If you think you might need a break from beer, cheese, and butter burgers, read Neil Gaiman's American Gods before the trip, then make a small detour up 23 to see the House on the Rock.*

*I have never been to Wisconsin, but having read American Gods, I'd have to stop in to see one of America's stranger Roadside Attractions.

is there a reason you're taking 41 out of green bay? If there isn't, i'd suggest taking 43 down. It's faster, and that way you can hit Sprecher, Lakefront Brewing, and Milwaukee Brewing Company in succession as you drive south. Also on 43, there is the new Water Street Brewery just off the freeway at the Grafton exit (Hwy 60). Then you can hop on 94 west and make your stop at Northern Brewer.

1+ for Water street off Grafton. Its like an old barn turned brewpub and the beer is amazing. Oh and the food its pretty good too.

huh? Water street was a brand new building, its only a couple years old. That hotel wasn't even there 5-10 years ago.

Travers City Mi is defiantly worth the time to stop. If I remember correctly there were a few brewery there.

In the Springfield Il area get a Horseshoe for lunch Texas Toast, Hamburger Pattys, all covered with Fries and Cheese Sauce

In Milwaukee
Maders or Karl Ratzsch for awesome german food go for lunch or early dinner to Save
Usingers Sausage on Old World Third St.
The Art Museum is pretty cool if that your thing
Forrest Home Cemetery is worth a drive thru Blatz, Pabst, and Schlitz family plots all face one another so they can keep a eye on the competition

Route looks fun, I would say Leinenkugels but its a few hours out of the way near Eau Claire, WI. Madison is someplace you should spend a night or two, or Milwaukee (theres a reaspon our baseball team is the "Brewers" after all, LOTS of breweries/tours there) New Glarus for sure, and Sprecher... being from Fond du lac I wish I could recommend something special but you'll have no problem finding a good pub with plenty of beers on tap. Tilted Kilt in Green Bay is pretty fun, and while your there if you want to check out the best sports venue that hosts the best sports franchise of ALL time stop by Lambeau Field ;) And be sure to stock up on plenty of cheese while your in WI, I am 29 years old and live in Australia now but have had my mom send me packages of cheese ever since I moved out... Cant wait to hear how it goes, sounds like fun, safe travels to ya...

If you like sours, you should stop by Jolly Pumpkin in Traverse City.

After that, go to the sleeping bear sand dunes and buy some tourist fudge and a locally grown and made cherry pie.

Zamial said:
If you have not had this I agree. It is so heavily oaked it tastes sort of coconut milk-vanilla-wood like. It may not be for everyone but it is good IMO. :mug:

But be careful I had one and then we had to leave the bar 10 mins later so I had to down the rest of a 9% beer

Founders in gr would make a good lunch stop. If u like Spicey order Devil Dancer (sammich and beer by the same name)...

Bells is good on kzoo I like there beer better than founders but Founder's is more enjoyable for me to grab a beer.

Skip touch down jesus and go to a real football stadium in ann arbor ;-)

If you have not had this I agree. It is so heavily oaked it tastes sort of coconut milk-vanilla-wood like. It may not be for everyone but it is good IMO. :mug:

Yes. If you like very robust, dark strong ales, Dragon's Milk is a bomber you should try sometime. Huge flavors. It's a sipper. I doubt they distribute too far beyond the midwest, though.

Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee, Water Street, nobody mentioned the Harley Davidson Museum, and the Milwaukee Art Museum is cool. Maders if you like German food. The Milwaukee lakefront is going to be packed pretty soon with Summerfest going on, weeklong music festival. Watch the I-94 traffic south of Milwaukee to the IL-WI border, all construction.

Make a pit stop at the Mars Cheese Castle near Kenosha. More cheese and sausage than you could shake a stick at!

It used to look like this

mars_cheese_castle.jpg

They recently upgraded to a castle

Mars%20Cheese%20Castle%203.jpg

Stop by the world famous Bong Recreation Area AFTER you shop for cheese unless you want to load you car with several pounds of cheese and sausage.

BongRecreationArea_300.jpg

huh? Water street was a brand new building, its only a couple years old. That hotel wasn't even there 5-10 years ago.

I meant to put it looks like an old barn style. The way they built it, But yes its a newer building. I still stop there every brewers game trip for my pregame Oktoberfest. :D

When your in South Bend, I'd suggest lunch at Fiddler's Hearth. They have a good beer selection and awesome pub food ( Try the scottish burger). There are also a few microbreweries in the area within a 10-20 minute drive of downtown.

Hello All,

Thanks for your suggestions I just don't think we have enough time to do it all....
This is the current route found here. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
cd

You might want to consider taking 31 from Traverse City up to Mackinaw City, thru Petoskey its a really nice drive along there. Much better than taking the interstate.

You will love driving over the see thru bridge deck

New Glarus is out of Golden Ale but the saison will be out next week. Definitely pick up Black Top, IIPA, Dancing Man.

Call Ale Asylum about taproom hours as they may be closed with construction on the new brewery. Hit up the west side Vintage.

If your on the interstate south of the lake why not stop at Three Floyds?

I have't been here in a few years, but this place had the best imported German beer I've ever had. The only time I've had an imported rauchbier on tap. Not far off 94.

O'Keefe's House of Hamburgmore

5937 South Howell Avenue

Milwaukee, WI 53207

(414) 747-9444

Back