Pecans in a Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickmv

Reaction score
Has anyone tried making a pecan porter?

I'm giving it a shot tomorrow afternoon after work. I'm calling it simply Pecan Brown Porter. Some of the numbers are strange because I scaled it up slightly

Partial Mash, 5.5gal batch:
4.25 lbs DME
2.25 lbs Brown Malt
1.75 lbs Maris Otter
.75 lbs Black Patent Malt
2 oz Chocolate Malt (just tossed in there for good measure)
0.5 lbs roasted pecans (roasted 3 times @ 350F for 8-10 mins....watch carefully! they can go from good to burnt QUICKLY)

NOTE: The pecans need to be roasted not only for flavor, but also for oil extraction. This is CRITICAL in giving the beer a fighting chance at having a head when you pour yourself that first glass. After each roasting, chop them up (I placed a spatula over them, and banged my fist across it), and separate the pecans into several paper lunchsacks. Make sure you play with them real well, fondle them, massage the nuts....WAIT.......getting back on topic, basically try to soak up as much oil into the paper sacks as possible from the pecans. You dont want to grind them up into powder, so try to keep it at small to med sized pieces. After my 3rd roast is done, I'm going to use a paper towel and try to get every last bit of oil off them before using them in the mash.

ALSO, it's recommended that you layer the pecans in the mash, so that they won't float to the surface.

1.65oz Fuggles @ 60min
.6 oz Fuggles @ 5min

White Labs WLP013 London Ale Yeast (starter)

1.055 OG
1.015 FG
5.2% ABV
Mash: 60mins @ 153F

This one should be interesting with the pecans. I'm inspired by Lazy Magnolia's Southern Pecan, which was a staple beer of mine when I was in college down at MSU. I got a late start on this one, seeing as I want it ready the week of Xmas, but I think it'll be delicious, even rushed a bit.

Thoughts?

I made a Pecan Brown Porter a little over a year ago. Per the recommendations in Randy Mosher's book I used 1 cup of toasted pecans in the mash - not sure how much it weighed. Honestly I could have used more pecans...probably double.

Back