Lumpy Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryandlf

Reaction score
Got a vial of white labs and the yeast is lumpy, as in all clumped together. Imagine cottage cheese but not quite a small of curds. I figured after being out of the fridge and shaken around a bunch it would go back to normal but its not. Is this a bad batch and should I throw it away or does this just happen to yeast sometimes?

I have never seen this either, but I've made less than 20 batches and only around half of them have been with white labs so I might not be the most knowledgeable person.

Smell seems normal. This isn't real time actually. I actually used this yeast on a batch a few weeks ago and the beer tastes awful. Like rotten fruit. I hadn't thought about yeast being the issue because I was so concerned that the batch may have been infected, but thinking back I remember thinking it was awfully strange how the yeast appeared compared to any other vial i'd ever gotten.

I have the same issue with a white labs yeast. ON Friday made a starter and the thing was so clumpy. some of it o the outer rim seamed darker that the rest (probably dead cells) Well I made a starter with it and it's viable smells good but something is telling me not to pitch it. Looks crazy krauzen looks all nasty don't know what to do.

did you make a starter for yours?

ryandlf said:
Got a vial of white labs and the yeast is lumpy, as in all clumped together. Imagine cottage cheese but not quite a small of curds. I figured after being out of the fridge and shaken around a bunch it would go back to normal but its not. Is this a bad batch and should I throw it away or does this just happen to yeast sometimes?

What strain? I used WLP002 for my last batch and it was clumpy like you described. Turns out it is completely normal for that strain.

Dose it look like this? This is wlp002 that I am about to use. I hope it's ok it looks lumpy too :0

image-1429052169.jpg

Yes it was in fact WLP002 and it looked very similar to the above picture. Maybe a little more clumpy. I guess its ok after all. I had to try and blame my botched batch on something :) I guess I can rule that out.

Bringin this thread back real quick, I have a 1272 wyeast doin the same thing. Ive never seen it done with this strain.

Back