"The American Brew" on the History Channel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Argyle

Reaction score
I just saw an ad in a magazine for "The American Brew" on the History Channel on April 5th. Don't much more about it than that...might be worth watching

Mark your calendars!

Here's more info I gathered from the Brew Monkey website:

Craft Brewers To Celebrate April 7, 1933

March 06, 2007 - BOULDER, COLORADO - On April 7, America's craft brewers will host ‘Brew Years Eve' celebrations recognizing the Repeal of Prohibition for beer. It was on this date in 1933 that newly elected President Roosevelt spurred Congress to modify the Volstead Act, thus allowing for the legal consumption of beer of a specific alcoholic strength. This was eight months before the December 5 Repeal of Prohibition for other liquors. Thus ‘Brew Years Eve' celebrates a time when beer was the lone legal libation.

"This date is a chance to say that enjoying beer is a legal privilege. On April 7, America's communities of craft brewers plan to celebrate this and the history of beer in our culture," said Julia Herz, spokesperson for the Brewers Association, the not-for-profit trade association for America's small brewers.

April 7 events at local craft breweries will include special release beers, craft beer and food pairings, special brewery tours and more. In addition, some breweries will be showing the new documentary produced by Ken Burns and Roger Sherman called "The American Brew: The Rich and Surprising History of Beer in America". This movie airs for the first time on April 7 on A&E Television Network with a potential audience of 80 million homes and includes an overview of prohibition, its history, its impact on the country and why it was repealed.

Today, sales of craft beers-beer made by small, independent and traditional brewers-are at an all-time high. 2006 marked an 11.7% increase for the category totaling a retail sales figure of $4.2 billion and 3.2% share by volume of the beer market with over 6.65 million taxable production in barrels.

For more information on Brew Years Eve and a list of craft brewery celebrations by state please visit: www.BrewYearsEve.com.

ErbiumYAG said:
"The American Brew: The Rich and Surprising History of Beer in America". This movie airs for the first time on April 7 on A&E Television Network "

QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. I went to TVGude.com and the special is indeed on A & E on April 7th at 10pm. Disregard my original post...

Damn! I hate posting the wrong information!

Thanks ErbiumYAG!

Back