Which hop blocking technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best way to filter hops.

• Blichmann Hop Blocker

• Hop Stopper

• False Bottom

• Just bag my hops

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Uh, I am a bit surprised that the Sparky hop spider isn't in there. I think a lot of us have made one of those contraptions, and I don't see ever changing. I vote OTHER.

Probably should have a "Don't" option there, also. I realize that those people shouldn't even be voting (given the topic), but they might anyway and choose other, as I did.

Yeah I guess I could've put the hop spider. Didn't think of that. I have used one before when I did 12oz of leaf hops for an IPA once. But its such a pain to have this big contraption over my kettle.

what the hell is a hop spider? I googled and got nothing.

I use a hop back loaded with rice hulls as a pre-filter to my plate chiller. I load it with rice hulls and then place a steamer basket over top to keep the contained and can load the steamer basket with hops for late additions.

First I recirculate to trap the hops and break. the I turn on the chill water to bring the kettle down enough to allow a single pass at pitch temp. This traps a good deal of the cold break in the process but also allow enough into the fermenter to be a benifit as well.

Cost = $80 for hop back, $35 for 55 pounds of rice hulls.

It's the picture you've seen a million times of a piece of PVC suspended over a kettle with four long screws, with a nylon bag hanging from it.

Sorry, I probably made that up a while back. I made a couple of them. Reminds me of a spider sitting over a web hole. (gawd I hate spiders).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Hop_Filter

Okay. I have that. retired it for the hop back. Wasn't effective enough. I called mine the hop ghost.

Hop Ghost. I like the name. I have used one too for huge hop beers but just can't stand a big bag floating in my brew and not being able to see my boil. I am lame.

I'm in the same camp! I love it, but am cautious of it under-utilizing, can't filter recirculated wort through it without it swelling and taking forever to filter, and the fact I can't see the mesmerizing boil going on while pushing down the sack with my brew spoon.

Well I ended up getting a hopstopper for my boil kettle. Yes they are expensive and bulky. But knowing I can just dump loose pellets and leaves into the boil is very intriguing to me.

The wave of the future is the BASKET, baby. See my sig for the Unibrew....

I like the rice hulls in a filter housing thats an innovative idea.
I find that whole leaf hops act as a filter on there own;
HarvestHopAle.jpg

along with a stainless steel scrubbie on an autosiphon.

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

I just place a somewhat large SS strainer inside my funnel while draining into my carboy. Unlike the tiny strainers that come with the funnels, it rarely clogs.

I was thinking make a 8" hoop out of 1/4" copper tube with copper dowel inside the butted ends soldered together. This to keep the sack bottom opened wide to expose the most hops.

Back