What to do now ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
I just got done racking a Munich lager off the yeast-Should I save the yeast ? Can it be saved ? How should it be saved ? What is the process for separating and saving the yeast ? Are there any specialty items req'd for doing this ?Can this yeast be used for any beer or just lagers ? I racked the beer off just until I saw yeasties in the tube and stopped-I'd suppose there's about 3/4 inch of liquid on the cake(I haven't removed the lid from the bucket yet,I did reattach the air-loc on the top after the transfer although it's only been about 45 mins. since and there's positive pressure in the primary(the yeasties are still alive and well I figure). I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions,I'm tryin' here. Any input pertaining would be appreciated .Thanks in advance. Shane

SAS98M said:
I just got done racking a Munich lager off the yeast-Should I save the yeast ? Can it be saved ? How should it be saved ? What is the process for separating and saving the yeast ? Are there any specialty items req'd for doing this ?Can this yeast be used for any beer or just lagers ? I racked the beer off just until I saw yeasties in the tube and stopped-I'd suppose there's about 3/4 inch of liquid on the cake(I haven't removed the lid from the bucket yet,I did reattach the air-loc on the top after the transfer although it's only been about 45 mins. since and there's positive pressure in the primary(the yeasties are still alive and well I figure). I'm sorry for the bombardment of questions,I'm tryin' here. Any input pertaining would be appreciated .Thanks in advance. Shane

This is a daily question. Short answer: yes, it can be saved. Long answer? Type in "harvesting yeast" in the search box up at the top of the page. :mug:

Back