Getting the most of specialty grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiako

Reaction score
I follow the 160 degree 20-30 min method but was told one of my beers tasted weak on the specialty grains. Any tips for getting the most flavor from steeping them?

Here is the new recipe I am following..

snpa.jpg

Short of doing a mini-mash, you're doing about all that can be done. No harm in steeping longer, but ultimately if you're not happy with the result, you'll need to bump up the amount of specialty grains.

I gently rinse my grain bag as it sits in a SS strainer over my brew pot with a pot of coffee maker water, which just happens to be about 170*F. Does it help? I would like to think so.

...you'll need to bump up the amount of specialty grains.

+1 on that. OR, you could do a mix-n-match. Instead of 100% Crystal 60L, use 50% Crystal 40L and 50% Crystal 80L. Flavor gets a bit more complex that way.

Also, how fresh are your grains? Have they been sitting in a bag, cracked, for a couple of months?

I did a SNPA and it only used 1 pound of grains. That sounds weak right? I got a new recipe and it calls for 3 pounds of grains. It is also an SNPA.

That's a huge amount of specialty grains! Normally I only see 1-1.5# used. I think John Palmer has a bit on that in "How To Brew"...

That's a huge amount of specialty grains! Normally I only see 1-1.5# used. I think John Palmer has a bit on that in "How To Brew"...

It is a Sierra nevada clone. I know for a fact that 1 pound did not cut it at all last time. It just tasted like a basic ale. It didn't tasted bad but did not taste like SNPA.

Increasing your steeping time and using more water can help. Another option is to gently stir the grains ever 5 minutes or so.

You definitely get more out of specialty grains in a mini-mash. Typically 50 to 100% more points.

It is a Sierra nevada clone. I know for a fact that 1 pound did not cut it at all last time. It just tasted like a basic ale. It didn't tasted bad but did not taste like SNPA.

SNPA is more about the hops than the malt. I would think 1 lb should be plenty.

I brewed a New Belgium 2 below clone that called for 4 lbs. of grains, and I thought that was way to much. I just tasted a sample of it and there is tons of flavor. So I guess I did need of those specialty grains.

3# sounds like a partial mash. Does it include some base malt in the grist? Even if it really is a steeping recipe, you're already doing about everything you would be doing in a partial mash anyway.

Sorry, if that recipe was in your original post it wasn't showing up for me. My only thought is the only grain you're using is 2-row. It's all base malt. There are no specialty grains. Steeping 2-row really won't get you anywhere. Usually when steeping, you are using crystal, munich, etc. That may be a fine recipe but if the criticism is that you're short on specialty grains, that's spot on.

Sorry, if that recipe was in your original post it wasn't showing up for me. My only thought is the only grain you're using is 2-row. It's all base malt. There are no specialty grains. Steeping 2-row really won't get you anywhere. Usually when steeping, you are using crystal, munich, etc. That may be a fine recipe but if the criticism is that you're short on specialty grains, that's spot on.

So I am steeping the grains for nothing?

I think so. If I just read the ingredient list, I would say right off that it was a partial mash. Steeping doesn't really do anything much in the way conversion but just leaches flavors and color from the specialy grains. The malt extract you're using is all made from base malt like your 2-row. Not really adding anything by steeping more base malt. On the other hand, if you were steeping more aggressive malt, the delicious colors and flavors would be a great addition. You can make decent beer just using base malt, it's just not going to have a complex malt character. Usually those recipes are hop intensive to give the beer something special. It all just depends on what you're going for.

Huh. That recipe scan didn't come across for me earlier today (on my Mac at work on broadband), but I see it now (on my Linux box at home on dialup). I agree with moosetav, you're mini-mashing 3# of 2-row if you follow those temps and rests. I think the wording of the recipe is mixing us up; you're not steeping per se, you're mashing in a small amount in the kettle (I'm assuming) and mixing in extracts to supplement the lack of many more pounds of grains, which is a mini (or partial) mash. See Deathbrewer's thread on partial mashes here.

Many of the clone recipes I've seen call for Crystal 60L (most hover around 1.25#) in the steep. Here's one that's representative of what I've come across on the interwebs.

I don't have my Mac up right now so I can't run your recipe through BeerAlchemy, but I'm betting you just need the 60L.

That's my thought. There aren't any specialty grains in the recipe. Just base malt.

Throw a pound of crystal in there, and then maybe a pound of Munich and take out a pound of 2-row. Then, you'll have a nice mix of grains that will give you some flavor and maltiness.

Back