My hops are starting too early.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramthebuffs

Reaction score
In colorado, we've had one of the milder winters I can remember. This morning, I was in the back yard having my coffee at 9am in early february and had a peek at my hops and noticed they're about to explode. I realize they're hardy plants, but unfortunately as a renter who moves a lot I keep them in pots.

Should I go ahead and start watering them? I could always bring them in I guess, but if we get a 2-3 week arctic blast then I'll be a little annoyed. I'm guessing I'm probably a month to 6 weeks ahead of schedule right now.

Well, you could cut them back as is normal commercial practice.

I admit too, that I am getting giddy for the spring season and have started to list out my hop yard to do's. I'll be layering some compost on and installing some screening.

I suggest you get some very large trash bags and keep them close for any chance of frost.

Frost? It dips below freezing every night here. We had about 6 inches of snow a week or two ago and its been warm since. Now the temps are starting to dip back down. I haven't checked on them all winter, but I'm guessing the buds I'm seeing are probably a result of the snow. Maybe they'll go dormant if I continue to not water them? There must have been some settling or somthing because really these should probably be below the surface as I can see the top of the original rhizome. I think I'll add an inch or two of dry soil and hope they stay sleepy.

You can cut back also can cover w plastic at night . how many years have they been in the pots , and pot size?Glen

I just started them last year. The stronger plants from last year have an unreal number of buds creeping out. I'm hoping this cold spell thats rolling in will shut them down.

First off, don't bring them inside, the temperature change will wake them up faster. Don't water them if it is going to freeze every night. Don't cover them in plastic, as the sun will hit the plastic and cause the ground to warm making them wake up faster. In short do nothing.

Now you might be thinking but, but.

DO NOTHING!

They are hearty plants and will realize they are going a bit early and self correct. Unless they get a good 6 inches out of the ground don't worry and let nature do its thing.

Leave them alone, I wouldn't even water them. I had snow twice last year after the hops came up. Didn't bother them a bit.

Back