Capping threaded bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Meister

Reaction score
I know capping threaded bottles are not recommended due to thinner walls so they are prone to cracking. But I can't ignore the accumulation of Miller Lite bottles I have. Plus if I can get away with using these without having to buy more bottles that would be awsome.

My questions:
Is it possible to cap Miller Lite bottles?
If I can, will there be a good seal?
Has anyone tried this (I'm sure some have) and have you been successful?

If I am able to use these bottles I'll make sure I drink the HB in these bottles before the non-threaded bottles.

Thanks for the help guys

DM

yes you can cap them, there is a good chance of making a seal but there is also a good chance the caps will easily pop off. I had one Miller High Life bottle that was clear sitting on a shelf because I wanted to be able to see the beer in the bottle. My wife knocked the bottle off the shelf and before it even hit the ground, the cap popped off and sprayed her with beer. It was carbonated just fine so the seal was good, it just wasn't as secure as a regular bottle that wasn't a twist off.

i had a problem with a twist-off bottle shattering when i tried to cap it.
i weighed my bottles and found miller and some other makes only weighed 6.8 ounces empty(miller was the bottle that shattered) while canadian ,labatts blue, sleaman etc. all weighed in at 9.8 ounces.
i have had no probelms capping the heavier bottles but now always toss the lighter weight ones.
my 2 cents

My success seems to vary from batch to batch when using twist-offs. I'll have anywhere from one or two bottles to 5-6 not seal well. I'm still using them, but phasing them out as I can.

why take a chance? if you need bottles asap, call around to some local bars. some of them use returnable bottles for Bud, BL and ML and might sell you some empty cases. if you you still have a few days, i know AmericanBrewmaster.com (best HBS place for 20yrs runnin! :) ) sells cases of brown returnable longnecks for only $10.

Back