To Lid or Not to Lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendelgee2

Reaction score
Hey folks,
I've heard that boiling with the lid on the brewpot will raise dms levels and thus contribute to off flavors (particularly a "corny" flavor). So, I've never used my lid. Ever.
Are there times in the brew process when the lid can be an effective tool? For instance, I'm wondering about putting it on just after the last hop addition to trap aroma. Or, putting it on during the cooling process to keep out airborne yeasts or bacteria? (I'm an ice bath fella at this point. Haven't sprung for a wort chiller yet.)

Any other times when it's a useful tool?

thanks.

Once the boil is over put the lid on. You don't want bacteria getting into your cooling wort.

If you are doing extract, it's not as much of an issue because the extract has already been boiled. It's more of an issue with all grain brewing, especially with ligher kilned malts like Pilsner.

DMS (Dimethylsulfide) is produced from SMM when the wort is heated above about 140. When you boil, you get rid of it with the steam, but after the boil it is still produced and stays in the wort. This is one of the several reasons why you should cool your wort as quickly as possible.

The only times I use a lid anymore is to cover my mash tun. I NEVER use it when boiling, but when I used an ice bath I did put a lid on after it had stopped steaming.

As far as trapping aroma on the hops, someone else will have to answer that one, but I am thinking it won't do very much at all.

I keep my lid on the kettle until it starts boiling then I leave it off for the entire boil. Once its done and the wort chiller is in, the sanitized lid goes back on.

I also only use my lid to help bring my wort to the boil faster (not sure if this actually helps much, though, as I have an aluminum brew kettle).

I only use my lid when I am storing my kettle to keep stuff out of it. I also use a wort chiller so it only takes about 15 min for me to get the wort cooled to about 80 and in the primary. I would probably use the lid if I used an ice bath.

Latest posts

Back