Global Warming = Expensive Beer - Warning BS Alert

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EdWort

Reaction score
What utter BS. Just an excuse to raise prices.

Scientist: Climate Change to Impact Beer Production
April 8, 2008 —

The price of beer is likely to rise in coming decades because climate change will hamper the production of a key grain needed for the brew - especially in Australia, a scientist warned Tuesday.
Jim Salinger, a climate scientist at New Zealand's National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research, said climate change likely will cause a decline in the production of malting barley in parts of New Zealand and Australia. Malting barley is a key ingedient of beer.
"It will mean either there will be pubs without beer or the cost of beer will go up," Salinger told the Institute of Brewing and Distilling convention.
Similar effects could be expected worldwide, but Salinger spoke only of the effects on Australia and New Zealand. He said climate change could cause a drop in beer production within 30 years, especially in parts of Australia, as dry areas become drier and water shortages worsen.
Barley growing parts of Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria and New South Wales would likely be harder hit than growing areas in New Zealand's South Island.
"It will provide a lot of challenges for the brewing industry," even forcing breweries to look at new varieties of malt barley as a direct result of climate change, Salinger said.
New Zealand and Australian brewer Lion Nathan's corporate affairs director Liz Read said climate change already was forcing up the price of malted barley, sugar, aluminium and sugar.
Read said that in addition to climate change, barley growers are grappling with competition from other forms or land use, such as the dairy industry.

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

Here is St Louis this Saturday, two weeks into April, it is supposed to be in the mid 30's. I could go for some global warming right about now.

Australia has a serious water a shortage problem. The sky is already falling. Whether some of it's attributable to global warming may be debatable or yet to be seen, but without a doubt, the current framing practices are not sustainable.

What are the odds that ANY climate prediction 30 years out is correct. Heck, they can't predict 24 hours out.

Remember we were supposed to have global cooling and another ice age, but that as supposed to happen a decade ago.

Geologically, we are coming off a recent ice age, so of course its warming up:D

Of course, geologically we are also due for another major continental shift, a major speciation according to Verba's pulse hypothesis, an eruption of the Yellowstone caldera (the last one sent lava flows to St. Louis) and a mass extinction which has happened every 65-100 million years or so. the last one with the dinosaurs was tiny compared to the Devonian extinction that wiped out 95% of species on earth.....)

My advice... It doesn't matter how much pollution we create, how much we jack the temperature up (supposedly) or how many of ourselves we kill, the human race is but a blip on the radar and will be screwed in the end by ourselves, giant volcano's, out competed by a superior species, asteroids, etc....

So in the meantime....

:mug: RDWHAHB!!!:mug:

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." [H. L. Mencken]

Does "Global Warming" come to mind?

That quote was intended to reference conflict:

"Wars are seldom caused by spontaneous hatreds between people, for peoples in general are too ignorant of one another to have grievances and too indifferent to what goes on beyond their borders to plan conquests. They must be urged to the slaughter by politicians who know how to alarm them."[H. L. Mencken]

Think weapons of mass destruction and war on terror.

mr x said:
That quote was intended to reference conflict:

Think weapons of mass destruction and war on terror.

Yep. Works for the Climate Change hype too.

I think AlGore qualifies as a WMD as he lines his pockets with cash from his carbon offset credit scam. We'll all end up paying for it in higher taxes and lost liberty as politicions pander to to be "green". They are only interested in the green in their wallets.

Your pocketbooks are in far greater danger from government mismanagement than they are from Al Gore. Pandering is what government is all about anyway - you've probably lost more liberty due to catering to the religious right than you may realize.

And Al Gore is just the messenger. He didn't think this up on a mushroom binge. Many respected people in many countries have been ringing the warning bells for a long time before Al Gore showed up.

EdWort said:

I think AlGore qualifies as a WMD as he lines his pockets with cash from his carbon offset credit scam. We'll all end up paying for it in higher taxes and lost liberty as politicions pander to to be "green". They are only interested in the green in their wallets.

Teddy Roosevelt said this on May 12, 1900

"Honesty is not so much a credit as an absolute prerequisite to efficient service to the public. Unless a man is honest, we have no right to keep him in public life; it matters not how brilliant his capacity "

How many would be left on Capital hill if this would happen;)

niquejim said:
Unless a man is honest, we have no right to keep him in public life; it matters not how brilliant his capacity
There's a great quote from the Enron documentary from a former executive

"I don't know whether I'd rather be shot as a liar or an idiot"

mr x said:
Many respected people in many countries have been ringing the warning bells for a long time before Al Gore showed up.

Right, he is just one of the ones who got the Nobel prize for flying around on a giant poluting jumbo jet telling the rest of ust to be green.

It's just like Bono telling us to give everything to the children in Africa while he steps off his private plane into his limo...:D

deathweed said:
Right, he is just one of the ones who got the Nobel prize for flying around on a giant poluting jumbo jet telling the rest of ust to be green.

It's just like Bono telling us to give everything to the children in Africa while he steps off his private plane into his limo...:D
That's the nature of life. If he's got to travel by jet to get the message out, so be it. Far lesser of two evils. Or, just eliminate plane travel altogether for everybody, and go another route. It's all going to end one way or another anyway. It's going to become awfully expensive to run 747's on creamed corn. Maybe in our lifetime.

EdWort said:
What are the odds that ANY climate prediction 30 years out is correct. Heck, they can't predict 24 hours out.

Remember we were supposed to have global cooling and another ice age, but that as supposed to happen a decade ago.

You are confusing weather and climate. The CLIMATE predictions done in the 1970's have proven to VERY good.

mr x said:
Your pocketbooks are in far greater danger from government mismanagement than they are from Al Gore. Pandering is what government is all about anyway - you've probably lost more liberty due to catering to the religious right than you may realize.

And Al Gore is just the messenger. He didn't think this up on a mushroom binge. Many respected people in many countries have been ringing the warning bells for a long time before Al Gore showed up.
Actually the Goracle is a religion and all bow to him now. Respected people in many countries is relative. They are the same wackos using flawed science who their elitest ways have decided through "consensus" that they are right no matter what and the debate is over. The Goracle's wacko activists seek to stifle any decenting opionon and squash scientific FACTS that go againsts their mantra and the main stream media just go right along with it. The article in the first post is a prime example. I'm sure 10 years ago, when they had a drought, they did not report that Global Warming was going cause the price of VB beer to go up. These days, the wackos look to blame everything on Global Warming. It's laughable.

George Carlin sums it up pretty well.

[youtube]ljNDbKpusT0[/youtube]

EdWort said:

Again totally wrong, wow where do you get this stuff? If you are worried about politicians pushing false agendas to line their pockets you should be talking about Chaney not Gore.

mr x said:

In response to the first point

From Alexander Tyler writing about the fall of the Athenian Republic.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's great civilizations has been two hundred years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence: from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependency, from dependency back to bondage."

As to the second point

I can't find the article, I think it was in Popular Science about 30 years ago. There was a large group that wanted to cover the poles with soot to make them melt faster to stop the impending Ice Age. I guess that they were not entirely correct on that, as I feel, they are not entirely correct today. At the rate technology is advancing someone will come up with something before we completly destoy ourselves, we always have.

EdWort said:
Actually the Goracle is a religion and all bow to him now. Respected people in many countries is relative. They are the same wackos using flawed science who their elitest ways have decided through "consensus" that they are right no matter what and the debate is over. The Goracle's wacko activists seek to stifle any decenting opionon and squash scientific FACTS that go againsts their mantra and the main stream media just go right along with it. The article in the first post is a prime example. I'm sure 10 years ago, when they had a drought, they did not report that Global Warming was going cause the price of VB beer to go up. These days, the wackos look to blame everything on Global Warming. It's laughable.

That rant pretty well says it all. All I can say is I like George Carlin.

EdWort said:

[youtube]ljNDbKpusT0[/youtube]

More BS, GC is arguing that the RECENT number of extinctions is "natural" and not the fault of humans....

Does you biology 101 text book look like this?
bible2.gif

richab said:
Again totally wrong, wow where do you get this stuff? If you are worried about politicians pushing false agendas to line their pockets you should be talking about Chaney not Gore.

Sorry, it's you do does not get it. Who's getting rich off the recent banning of the incandescent light bulb? Politicians and the few companies that make it.

What do we get? Less choice for our lighting and a much more expensive light bulb that provide substandard light that is hazardous if you break one. Plus you have jump through all sorts of hoops when you want to through one away. Oh yeah, make sure when you turn one on to leave it on for 30 minutes or that 7 year life span is considerably shorter.

I'll stick to my 25 cent incandescent bulbs that turn on and off without problems and don't require OSHA to monitor the changing of one burnt out.

niquejim said:
IAt the rate technology is advancing someone will come up with something before we completly destoy ourselves, we always have.
No we haven't. If you think technology can bail you out, you're insane. Virtual polar bears aren't of much interest to me.

I suggest you read a book detailing the end of many societies over the last few centuries. One good read is Collapse! by Jared Diamond.

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/01/03/050103crbo_books

EdWort-

If anyone really wanted to improve things they would get back into nuclear power production.

Google pebble bed reactors.

Cheap, efficient and non polluting

Well, Carlin does have a good point in saying: "The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas". The earth will survive whatever turmoil we wreak upon it. We may not.

Besides, when it comes to "facts", I'd rather believe the evidence presented by the VAST majority of climatologists (y'know, people who actually study this kind of thing) than the ramblings of corporate shills, pundit-media and yes... even George Carlin.

niquejim said:
As to the second point

I can't find the article, I think it was in Popular Science about 30 years ago. There was a large group that wanted to cover the poles with soot to make them melt faster to stop the impending Ice Age. I guess that they were not entirely correct on that, as I feel, they are not entirely correct today. At the rate technology is advancing someone will come up with something before we completly destoy ourselves, we always have.

We always have???? So we have gone through this before? WTF are you talking about

Also you are confusing guys with lab coats and scientists, Ralph Keeling and Roger Revelle were worried about climate change 50+ years ago, 30 years ago predictions were being made that have proven to BE TRUE and now every main stream scientist fully understands and thinks about global climate change.

EdWort said:
Sorry, it's you do does not get it. Who's getting rich off the recent banning of the incandescent light bulb? Politicians and the few companies that make it.

What do we get? Less choice for our lighting and a much more expensive light bulb that provide substandard light that is hazardous if you break one. Plus you have jump through all sorts of hoops when you want to through one away. Oh yeah, make sure when you turn one on to leave it on for 30 minutes or that 7 year life span is considerably shorter.

I'll stick to my 25 cent incandescent bulbs that turn on and off without problems and don't require OSHA to monitor the changing of one burnt out.
You're hard core brother, I'll give you that.:rockin:

richab said:
More BS, GC is arguing that the RECENT number of extinctions is "natural" and not the fault of humans....

Does you biology 101 text book look like this?
bible2.gif

I am pretty sure that the number of species actually alive today is MUCH less than what has walked/crawled/swam on the earth before.... And GC's figgure of 90% isn't too far off... of course this is comming from my brief work as an evolutionary biologist, since I don't do that anymore, what do I know?

EdWort said:

So you are against saving money?

deathweed said:
I am pretty sure that the number of species actually alive today is MUCH less than what has walked/crawled/swam on the earth before.... And GC's figgure of 90% isn't too far off... of course this is comming from my brief work as an evolutionary biologist, since I don't do that anymore, what do I know?

GC is arguing that the levels of extinction that we have been experiencing for the last FEW (100) years is normal. It is not and we have something to do with it. Yes the earth has a long history, about 4.5 billion years, and modern humans have only been on it for 100,000 years.

Ed

This thread is great

This is like talking about abortion/gun control/welfare reform/gay marriage/etc. as there will be no changing of points of view. One looks from the left, one looks from the right. When people look at things from diiferent directions they will never ever see the same thing, and no amount of arguing will change that.

Too many "green" products are worse for the environment than the original product, but the common person doesn't know any better. The cost of disposal, the special restrictions, plus the hazardous chemicals involved in the whole process make something like the "green" lightbulb more of a environmental hazard. (I use them, only because they are supposed to save money (although I don't pay my power bill, and because the $4 off coupon made as cheap as regular bulbs.)

That and some of these environmental events are pointless. What about that thing a few weeks back where they turned off lights in major cities for one hour? In Sydney they celebrated with fireworks (bet those are good for the environment), on top of that people who probably would have stayed home drove their cars to go watch the fireworks. So this event probably caused more environmental damage than just leaving the lights on.

And what really bothered me about the whole thing wasn't even the waste of resources to "conserve" them, but the fact that I passed a car on the freeway with two big cardboard posters on the back window promoting the "lights off" event, which meant that idiot had very little rear visibility.

richab said:
GC is arguing that the levels of extinction that we have been experiencing for the last FEW (100) years is normal. It is not and we have something to do with it. Yes the earth has a long history, about 4.5 billion years, and modern humans have only been on it for 100,000 years.

No matter how much damage we do, how many species we kill off, or how much "climate change" we inflict, It doesn't impact the planet at all. GC is right, it impacts US. Like I said before, 95% of life on earth went extinct in the Devonian period including 22% of the families and 57% of the genera, and the planet turned out ok, I mean WE came out of it didn't we? (if you can call that ok...)

niquejim said:
Ed

This thread is great

This is like talking about abortion/gun control/welfare reform/gay marriage/etc. as there will be no changing of points of view. One looks from the left, one looks from the right. When people look at things from diiferent directions they will never ever see the same thing, and no amount of arguing will change that.

That is exactly what is wrong, all the AM station right wing wackos have brainwashed you mouth breathers into thinking that science is something you can choose to believe or order from like some fast food menu. When all of the worlds top scientists get together and produce the largest review article every produced with over 5,000 references you can't just ignore it and say "my heart tells me to use more fossil fuels" Maybe you stop and think for yourself before you discount the IPCC report

deathweed said:
WE came out of it didn't we?
Yeah WE, did. I'm sure the other species that didn't make it weren't as impressed. And eventually, eliminating species will impact the planet. It just depends on your perception on the word impact. Run those Devonian numbers again and see where it gets you.

deathweed said:
No matter how much damage we do, how many species we kill off, or how much "climate change" we inflict, It doesn't impact the planet at all. GC is right, it impacts US. Like I said before, 95% of life on earth went extinct in the Devonian period including 22% of the families and 57% of the genera, and the planet turned out ok, I mean WE came out of it didn't we? (if you can call that ok...)

yes the rock will survive but your grandkids are going face a vastly different / worse nature...

BTW who argued that global climate change will make the earth self destruct? that is just dumb. The argument is that it will bring our economy and quality of life to its knees, basically look at third world Africa, soon they will better off then we will be.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back