New Jersey Home Brew Clubs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NJHOPZ in the Hackettstown area...Jay is the leader...can't recall his logon...sorry Jay...hey, am I going to be seeing you guys again in a couple of weeks? I'll be in Rockaway again 21-25 Sep. Call me.

There's one on the east side of No Jersey also...contact Bobby_M

Burlington Cty wants to start one...

As far as the Northern half of Jersey is concerned, there's the newer NJHOPZ in Hackettstown and 13 year old WHALES out of Woodbridge, NJ. You could join both! We meet on different days.

The Whales website is linked in my signature below and has plenty of info to help you decide if you want to check it out.

I know the Brewer's Apprentice in Freehold is starting up a brew club also for folks in South/Central NJ if your interested in getting in on the ground floor. I don't know where they are in the process but for me it's right down the street and I've signed up. Bobby, I heard WHALES was full and not taking new members. Judging from your post that's not true.

Where did you hear that the Whales were full? We technically have more members (55) than our meeting location can support but we average about 35 people at a meeting so for now we're still accepting members. We have people that travel from as far South as Toms River and several others from Ocean and Monmouth counties. I don't want to spend too much time knocking startup clubs but they'll have a long way and a lot of growing pains before they hit a rhythm. Then again, if good things are going on, I'd join a bunch of them.

Where did you hear that the Whales were full? We technically have more members (55) than our meeting location can support but we average about 35 people at a meeting so for now we're still accepting members. We have people that travel from as far South as Toms River and several others from Ocean and Monmouth counties. I don't want to spend too much time knocking startup clubs but they'll have a long way and a lot of growing pains before they hit a rhythm. Then again, if good things are going on, I'd join a bunch of them.

Just from a customer at the BA when I was there last time and they said the reason Whales wasn't taking new members was because you were above 50 people. As far as new clubs I don't think I'd be interested in this if it wasn't 2 miles from my house and at the BA. I know that sounds lazy but I get up for work at 4:45 am so traveling the 30+ minutes to Woodbridge for a Tuesday night meeting is tough. Compound that with a three year old. I think having a LHBS supporting you goes a long way in getting things off the ground. I'm sure the same can be said for the help JJ Bittings gives you guys.

Wow, I wish people wouldn't spread misinformation. There may be a time where we have to reject new members due to size but it hasn't happened yet. I don't mean to sound like used car salesman for the club but I just really like it. 95% of the people who get their procrastinating asses (j/k) out to a meeting tend to join that night or the following meeting. I too was hesitant to show up.

FYI. JJ's "support" is letting us use their upstairs dining room for meetings once a month and letting us buy their food and beer. Of course, finding a meeting location is half the battle with a club.

Wow, I wish people wouldn't spread misinformation. There may be a time where we have to reject new members due to size but it hasn't happened yet. I don't mean to sound like used car salesman for the club but I just really like it. 95% of the people who get their procrastinating asses (j/k) out to a meeting tend to join that night or the following meeting. I too was hesitant to show up.

FYI. JJ's "support" is letting us use their upstairs dining room for meetings once a month and letting us buy their food and beer. Of course, finding a meeting location is half the battle with a club.

Bobby, I'm not arguing with you - I'm just telling you what someone told me in casual conversation. I'm sorry I even brought it up but I thought you might want to confirm/deny. And as far as job/kids it's called priorities, not procrastination. Please don't judge people until you know their situation. What may work for you may not for others. I'm glad you like it and I'm sure I would too, but it needs to fit in with the rest of the commitments I've made. Lastly I wasn't trying to assume what "support" JJ's gives you, just saying help is help.

I work at BA and we are trying to start a club. 1st we are trying to get a feel of how many people would be interested in joining. We actually are having a beer tasting Sept 19th if anyone is interested. Only $10...There will probably be more talk about the status of the club then.

Bobby, I'm not arguing with you - I'm just telling you what someone told me in casual conversation. I'm sorry I even brought it up but I thought you might want to confirm/deny. And as far as job/kids it's called priorities, not procrastination. Please don't judge people until you know their situation. What may work for you may not for others. I'm glad you like it and I'm sure I would too, but it needs to fit in with the rest of the commitments I've made. Lastly I wasn't trying to assume what "support" JJ's gives you, just saying help is help.

Hold on man, I'm not taking an attacking tone with you. There's no reason to get defensive. Please try re-reading what I wrote and think tongue-in-cheek lighthearted banter because that's where I was at when I wrote it. Call off the dogs. If you make it to a meeting, that's great. I'm not trying to twist your arm.

I work at BA and we are trying to start a club. 1st we are trying to get a feel of how many people would be interested in joining. We actually are having a beer tasting Sept 19th if anyone is interested. Only $10...There will probably be more talk about the status of the club then.

I would have come down to check it out but it's the same day as the Central Jersey beer festival in Woodbridge.

Hold on man, I'm not taking an attacking tone with you. There's no reason to get defensive. Please try re-reading what I wrote and think tongue-in-cheek lighthearted banter because that's where I was at when I wrote it. Call off the dogs. If you make it to a meeting, that's great. I'm not trying to twist your arm.

Bobby, sorry if I took it the wrong way. No twisting necessary - I really want to go to some meetings and talk to other people that have the same interest I do. It's just time is a commodity right now but hopefully for not forever. I guess in the end we established Whales is taking new members !?! :D

Burlington Cty wants to start one...
Any more info on this, i.e. people, location? I'm right in that area, and have been looking to join a club, as I'm just starting brewing. I'd love to find a mentor, brothers in arms
So, if there's any momentum to start a club in this area, I'd definitely be on board to help get it going.
I appreciate any info.

We are having our first meeting tonight at High Street Grill in Mount holly.

Starts at 6:30, feel free to email me at [email protected] if interested. We wont know if it will be a casual or serious club until we all sit down and talk over the next week or so (since everyone cant make it tonight). we have around 15 members off the start without actually advertising it yet...

Cheers
John

Starts at 6:30, feel free to email me at [email protected] if interested. We wont know if it will be a casual or serious club until we all sit down and talk over the next week or so (since everyone cant make it tonight). we have around 15 members off the start without actually advertising it yet...

Cheers
John

John,
I'm really glad to hear this. I sent an e-mail.

When did you start working at BA? I haven't been there in a month or two. Have they been picking up some more business?

Cheers
John

Definitely keep me in the loop as well, also sent email:ban:

Hi: The Back Yard Obsessive Brewers are a homebrew club based at Cricket Hill Brewery in Fairfield, NJ. We got started in early 2011 and have over 160 members. we are an active teaching club and our membership ranges from people who are thinking of getting started to professional brewers. Our meetings are the first Tuesday of the month at the brewery at 6:30pm. All are welcome, there are no dues, fees or charges. We operate strictly on donations. We host 3-4 free events every year at the brewery, including The Big Brew, Mead Day and Learn to homebrew day, along with many club brew days. We are affiliated with the American Homebrew Association. Check out our website at www.byobhomebrewclub.com, or e-mail us at [email protected].
Thanks.
Jim.C
HNGIC

Brew Jersey is a club based in Atlantic County. Contact Shawn at Tapit Homebrew Supply shop in Egg Harbor City for specifics. We have about a dozen active members and meet usually the 2nd Saturday evening of the month.

We are getting organized to join some AHA Club Only Competitions.

Does anyone know whether the brewers apprentice in freehold got their club up and running?

Last time I was there it was still dead. The guys who started it all moved. I'll ask wednesday when I get my pumpkin recipe.

this thread seems dead... but I'm wondering did that Mount Holly group ever get started?

Sorry for taking awhile, had some brewing delays. Got to the brewers apprentice yesterday and talked to Jill. She said the club is still dead because all they workers in charge of it left.

It looks like http://www.jerseybrewers.com/ still have an active website at least. Many of the other clubs listed on AHA for NJ have broken URLs. When you say North, I GUESS the whales would be considered. Woodbridge is Central NJ to people who live around here but I know the chaps down in Burlington county and below think otherwise.

Anyone know if the Mount Holly club ever get started? Are they active? Or any others in south jersey?

Did anyone ever find a club in Monmouth county? I'm in Middletown and don't have a car so if anyone ever found anything or wants to start one let me know.:mug::mug:

These guys meet in Sayreville, that's pretty close to you.
http://www.thebwo.com/

Also, the WHALES meet in JJ Bittings brewpub (Main Street) in Woodbridge, across the street from the train station, convenient for those without a car. I'm considering joining.

I've been kicking around joining a club, I know there are at least 3 I'm looking into (AHA listed WHALES and bwo and a smaller one Ferment the World) They're all pretty close but I'm a good ways away from being where I want to be brewing, hell I don't even have a beer now since my winter ale is down to 6 bottles and I'm waiting on my brother to start a Fat Tire clone.

Back