Turkey!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fusorfodder

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO wants a smoked turkey this weekend, so I pulled out of the freezer a butterball we picked up at thanksgiving time. Can't beat 29 cents a pound! Anyhow, it does say it's has an 8% solution so I suppose brining will be skipped. Any good ways to treat the outside or cavity of one of these things? I don't have a ton of smoking under my belt, so any info would be appreciated!

I do the thanksgiving bird on a brinkman charcoal smoker. Put the turkey on the lower rack with a Boston Butt pork roast on the top rack so it drips onto the bird. I just cut up an onion and stuff the cavity loosely with that and some fresh rosemary off the bush growing in the back yard. I throw it on the grill around 10 PM and its ready to eat by noon the next day.

http://www.cookshack.com/turkey-101

Follow this guys suggestions and it will be absolutely perfect. Having an "enhanced" bird definitely makes brining a no go, but he hits all those points in his tutorial. Also, he smokes them a bit hotter so my bird was ready in about 4 hours and was unbelievably fantastic.

it depends what cooker you are using and what you are going for. If you are going for easy and taste I would stuff the cavity with onions, butter and something green, IE celery, green oinons/chives, bell peppers, okra, maybe even sausage. If you do this right you can use it as stuffing later.

Depending on what type of cooker would dectate the outer. I love spraying birds with all sorts of solutions while cooking. Its kind of like basting but easier. Beer, butter/olive oil, butter/garlic powder, cilantro/onion juice.

Damn im getting hungry.

it depends what cooker you are using and what you are going for. If you are going for easy and taste I would stuff the cavity with onions, butter and something green, IE celery, green oinons/chives, bell peppers, okra, maybe even sausage. If you do this right you can use it as stuffing later.

Depending on what type of cooker would dectate the outer. I love spraying birds with all sorts of solutions while cooking. Its kind of like basting but easier. Beer, butter/olive oil, butter/garlic powder, cilantro/onion juice.

Damn im getting hungry.
The method I posted from MadMaxx via Nakedwiz works on any grill or oven, it's nothing out of the ordinary just guarantees a juicy bird

I ended up using this recipe here. It was pretty good, but what really made it amazing was the aji amarillo sauce to go with it. While this isn't specifically Peruvian style, it is simply awesome with smoked turkey/chicken. I used the recipe I found here for the aji amarillo sauce. I would probably back off a liiiittle bit on the lime juice and sour cream, and maybe add a little bit more ketchup. However even without tweaking it that sauce was awesome. I think I'll have some of it whipped up whenever I smoke poultry.

Back