Starter Newbie.. How do I know it's "working"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chumprock

Reaction score
I recently emptied a wonderful bottle of Brewer's Art Resurrection Ale the other night in hopes of propagating the yeast for a batch I'm going to make this weekend.

I prepared the starter wort, drank the beer, and swirled/pitched the remaining yeast into my flask and popped it on the stir-plate. It's been about 20-ish hours, and the wort is appearing cloudy, but with the stir-plate going I'm not getting a krausen or anything that would indicate active fermentation other than some bubbles in the middle. (But could those just be from stirring?)

Anyway... I searched a bit and didn't come up with a solid answer, so how the hell do you know if your starter is active on a stir plate?

Springer is right. For a starter, there won't be any fermentation, but the gravity will drop as the yeast use the malt to grow more yeast.

You guys are so schmart.

And holy crap is Southern Tier Iniquity a creeper! I need to tackle a pillow.

Back