Leaf vs. Pellet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhys79

Reaction score
What is the difference in usage between leaf and pellet hops? Beersmith just shows a slight change in IBU's when I switch between pellets and leaf. Is that the only difference?

TIA!

You get about 10% better utilization with pellet over leaf. Some claim you get better aroma with leaf over pellet but I've never used anything other than pellet so I can't comment on that.

I've used both, but IMHO pellets are a PITA! I've only used them a time or two, but they clog my fine mesh strainer going into the fermenter. With whole leaf hops the wort seems to just flow right through and doesn't get clogged. But, to each his own...I believe some on here have hop bags of various types to keep the particulate matter out of the wort. But for me, if I have the choice I'll pick leaf...but it's just that the selections I want aren't always available except in pellet.

Whole hops steal a lot more wort than pellets. I did an IPA that I used 3oz of leaf hops in addition to pellets. I swear I must have lost a gallon of beer to them =( But the IPA was gooooooood :D

Both have pros and cons.

Leaf hops / plugs: Easier to remove from the wort, no grinding or heating involved in processing and they look cooler (not like rabbit pellets) but give slightly less extraction, oxidize more easily and take up more room.

Pellets: Slightly better extraction, better storage characteristics (less surface exposed to air/oxygen when stored) but are harder to remove from the wort (some will make it into the fermenter, this can be solved when doing the secondary fermentation) and some say the pelletization process hurts the hops because of the heat used in the pelletization (not that I have ever noticed a huge difference though).

Personally, I prefer leaf hops (when I can get them).. There's just something about those leaves rolling around in the kettle, and the fact that they haven't been ground to a pulp... :)

I've used them both. The pellets are more powerful and easier to use.

Also, since they are (crushed) solid I think they stay fresher longer with all the air pressed out. ;)

Even the big guys use pellets.

Some of the big guys use hop oil extract...

:tank:

Bringing this thread back only because I did not want to start a new one if it was already discussed (I am sure it has had thousands of threads and may even be in a sticky, but I am short on time).

So does anybody notice the difference in pellet vs. leaf vs. oil extract? I mean I always do a 5 or 10 gallon batch, so I am sure it doesn't change as much as I think. But don't the oz. differences come into factor? Like if I used 2 oz East Kent Golding leaf and 2 oz East Kent Golding pellet, would it be a difference?

Anyway, thanks for any info.

Bringing this thread back only because I did not want to start a new one if it was already discussed (I am sure it has had thousands of threads and may even be in a sticky, but I am short on time).

So does anybody notice the difference in pellet vs. leaf vs. oil extract? I mean I always do a 5 or 10 gallon batch, so I am sure it doesn't change as much as I think. But don't the oz. differences come into factor? Like if I used 2 oz East Kent Golding leaf and 2 oz East Kent Golding pellet, would it be a difference?

Anyway, thanks for any info.

If they have different extraction rates, then I would think there would have to be a difference. Is this difference large enough to taste the difference? Debateable.

I'm more concerned with dryhopping pellets vs leaf and whether or not leaf could oxidize finished beer. Anybody have thoughts on that?

Well, I'll give this thread another breath of life I suppose.

I have

1lb of 4.1% EKG pellets from hopsdirect
1lb of 5% EKG whole leaf also from hops direct

I'm making 10g SMASH ESB

22lbs Marris Otter
4oz EKG First wort
2oz EKG 60min
2oz EKG 10min
2oz EKG 5 min
2oz EKG Dry hop

So, I'm wondering where the leaf might be better than the pellet or vice versa. If this turns out I'm going to enter it to defend my 1st place ESB entered last year in the Beehive Brew-Off. My current plan is whole leaf in the first wort addition, pellet in the 60min, whole leaf in the 10min, pellet in the 5min, pellet for dry hop.

Note: I used 1lb Crystal 30 (carastan), 1lb Biscuit, and 1lb crystal 15 mashed at 148f in my winning beer last year as well as Northern Brewer for the bittering hop. This year I'm going for something different. Mashing at 154f and using only MO and EKG. The comments last year were that the flavors didn't "pop" or stand out. I feel like this SMASH will showcase all the best qualities of this beer and allow the flavors to stand out. Wish me luck?

Well I went with the plan as listed. Doubt I'll know the difference between the whole leaf and plug additions at drinking time.

I like working with whole leaf but storage is a huge PITA. Last year I was anxious to get new crop from Hopsdirect so I ordered a bunch of whole leaf as soon as it was available. If I knew for sure it was better for certain things I would stick with it despite the headache.

Well I went with the plan as listed. Doubt I'll know the difference between the whole leaf and plug additions at drinking time.

I like working with whole leaf but storage is a huge PITA. Last year I was anxious to get new crop from Hopsdirect so I ordered a bunch of whole leaf as soon as it was available. If I knew for sure it was better for certain things I would stick with it despite the headache.

Well, could you tell a difference?

Maybe it's just me, but, I feel my beer clears better with leaf.

My LHBS has the nicest guys working there, but, their stock can vary....sometimes I can do whole leaf, some time it's a mix.

Well, could you tell a difference?

No, my palate isn't close to delicate enough apparently. I enjoy using leaf hops but I think from now on I'm going to try to order only pellets in bulk simply for storage reasons.

In other news, my ESB successfully defended it's previous 1st place finish with a second 1st place finish in the English Pale Ale category, with my Best Bitter taking 3rd in the same category.

In other news, my ESB successfully defended it's previous 1st place finish with a second 1st place finish in the English Pale Ale category, with my Best Bitter taking 3rd in the same category.

Congratulations.

Back