Irish Red Ale "Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dangerbrew,

I'm going to brew this up later this week, but in your revised recipe did you use leaf or pellet hops? Other an 10% increase in leaf quantity, any other benefits or consequences? Thanks!

Thanks again Danger , pulled a few pints off the tap this weekend and was very happy with the results. Will be brewing this up again in the future for sure.

Hello Dangerbrew... I read all the glowing reviews on here for Drunken Lullaby, and decided it would be the recipe of choice for my second partial mash attempt. I dropped the pale ale malt back and did a late addition of LME and DME. It looked fantastic and I caught hints of a rich red coppery colour as I transferred it to the fermenter. Thoroughly enjoyed my brew day and can't wait to knock the top off the first bottle of Drunken Lullaby.

What i thought you might be interested in, is that I am brewing your fine recipe down in New Zealand. If I posted a recipe, I'd be fascinated to hear what parts of the World it was being brewed. Maybe one of these brew sites will include geotagging brew locations in the future...

Anyway, cheers mate!

Likewise! I have a "Drunken lullabies" in the secondary right now, coming up on 2 weeks. Bottling, next weekend and with luck, drinking soon! Your brew recipe made it to upstate New York. Thanks! It looks and tastes great so far.

Is it possible to make this as an extract batch? If so, what adjustments need to be made? Any help would be appreciated, I really want to try and brew this on Saturday!

Hello Dangerbrew... I read all the glowing reviews on here for Drunken Lullaby, and decided it would be the recipe of choice for my second partial mash attempt. I dropped the pale ale malt back and did a late addition of LME and DME. It looked fantastic and I caught hints of a rich red coppery colour as I transferred it to the fermenter. Thoroughly enjoyed my brew day and can't wait to knock the top off the first bottle of Drunken Lullaby.

What i thought you might be interested in, is that I am brewing your fine recipe down in New Zealand. If I posted a recipe, I'd be fascinated to hear what parts of the World it was being brewed. Maybe one of these brew sites will include geotagging brew locations in the future...

Anyway, cheers mate!

Awesome, man! Glad to hear it's made the trip over the big water!! If you can take any pictures and post them that would be amazing - love to see them - and definitely enjoy the lullaby, my friend. :mug:

Thanks again Danger , pulled a few pints off the tap this weekend and was very happy with the results. Will be brewing this up again in the future for sure.

Great! - glad you like the recipe - I'm brewing a batch of it next month to sip on over thanksgiving and the holidays. :mug:

Likewise! I have a "Drunken lullabies" in the secondary right now, coming up on 2 weeks. Bottling, next weekend and with luck, drinking soon! Your brew recipe made it to upstate New York. Thanks! It looks and tastes great so far.

Nice!! Let me know how it turns out when you crack one open! :rockin:

Is it possible to make this as an extract batch? If so, what adjustments need to be made? Any help would be appreciated, I really want to try and brew this on Saturday!

Hey man - i went ahead and tried my best to convert it to an extract-only recipe here for you - won't be exactly the same, but you can go ahead and give it a try - should be somewhat close depending on the extract you get.

Also, don't forget to add the irish moss 15 min before the end of the boil!

Let me know how this works out for you. I'd be interested to see.

Drunken Lullaby extract - Irish Red Ale
=========================================================
Batch Size: 5.250 gal
Boil Size: 6.200 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.063
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.2%
Bitterness: 27.1 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 13 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Amber Liquid Extract Extract 9.000 lb No No 78% 13 L
Brown Sugar, Dark Sugar 8.000 oz No Yes 100% 50 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Fuggles 4.5% 2.000 oz Boil 40.000 min Pellet 23.8
Kent Goldings 5.5% 1.000 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 3.3

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-04 Ale Dry 0.388 oz Primary

Danger,

I'm so sorry for being super annoying, but I have another question/request. So I looked at the extract bill, and without any specialty grains, I felt like i was really missing on your recipe. My thoughts were, Eff it, if I'm going to make a Drunken Lullaby, I'm going to do it as intended (everyone seems to love it). So I just got back from the LHBS, and have all of the ingredients (your 2nd version). Herein lies my problem, I asked him what the differences are and for possible instructions on partial mash, and he basically said its different for every recipe. Any chance you are any of the faithful Drunken lullaby followers can help me with the actual brew instructions? Basically, Mash temp, mash time, sparge temp, maybe like how much water used per step? I guess whatever you think I would need that is different from Extract brewing.

Huge help if you do, otherwise, thanks for the previous extract recipe and your time.

Just ordered the ingredients for this today. The LHBS doesn't have a great variety. It'll be my first beer not using a kit. Still using LME and partial mash. Also ordered Wyeast 1099 for it. I'll check back in a couple weeks!

Oh, I guess this is my first post! I've been lurking for years but just downloaded the iPhone app!

Danger,

I'm so sorry for being super annoying, but I have another question/request. So I looked at the extract bill, and without any specialty grains, I felt like i was really missing on your recipe. My thoughts were, Eff it, if I'm going to make a Drunken Lullaby, I'm going to do it as intended (everyone seems to love it). So I just got back from the LHBS, and have all of the ingredients (your 2nd version). Herein lies my problem, I asked him what the differences are and for possible instructions on partial mash, and he basically said its different for every recipe. Any chance you are any of the faithful Drunken lullaby followers can help me with the actual brew instructions? Basically, Mash temp, mash time, sparge temp, maybe like how much water used per step? I guess whatever you think I would need that is different from Extract brewing.

Huge help if you do, otherwise, thanks for the previous extract recipe and your time.

Hey man,

good on ya for brewing the true recipe! as far as a partial mash schedule goes, if you're able to do a step mash by having the grains in a cheesecloth bag or whatnot, I would say to do a protein rest at around 125 F for 30 min and then raise it up to 155 F for about 10 minutes and then up again to 160 and leave that sit for about 15 minutes and that should do the trick for the actual mash. (make sure you lift the bag up while heating up the water so it doesn't scorch) For sparging, at least 170 F and I wouldn't do more than a gallon and a quarter i'd say - this is just off the top of my head but should work out fine.

As promised, a photo (I hope!) of my Kiwi brewed version of Drunken Lullaby. Done as a partial mash, I'm very happy with the result. The colour is stunning. The smooth flavour is spot on, reminiscent of Murphy's Irish red, and it has a nice smooth mouth feel.

For all you Northern Hemisphere brewers who are considering what hearty dark winter warmers to brew next, this pic was taken on a gorgeous 31 degree (88F) afternoon just outside Christchurch, New Zealand. 'Tis the season for chilled refreshing summer ales here in the South!

xgY5e.jpg

Many thanks to DangerBrew for the excellent recipe. :)

With Saint Patrick's days right around the corner, I have been thinking about making this as my first 5 gallon batch.

I currently have a Mr. Beer kit, I think everyone here calls it a LBK, and made two kits in there, and 3 batches from ingredients from my LHBS. The first batch was drinkable (suppose to be wheat beer, but was a dark cloudy Belgium ale), second batch is in bottles right now, nice amber ale but a little bitter, and my third batch is another wheat beer that's fermenting right now, but looks awesome from samples I took.

I am planning on buying a 5 gallon starter kit this weekend and make this beer. Which recipe do you like better the 2009 or 2010 version? I am leaning toward the 2010 version due to the lower IBUs, I dont like bitter beer, and I want to share this with my neighbors who drink light beers.

Could I cut the IBUs down a little more by only adding .75oz of fuggles, or will that mess with the flavor to much?

With Saint Patrick's days right around the corner, I have been thinking about making this as my first 5 gallon batch.

I currently have a Mr. Beer kit, I think everyone here calls it a LBK, and made two kits in there, and 3 batches from ingredients from my LHBS. The first batch was drinkable (suppose to be wheat beer, but was a dark cloudy Belgium ale), second batch is in bottles right now, nice amber ale but a little bitter, and my third batch is another wheat beer that's fermenting right now, but looks awesome from samples I took.

I am planning on buying a 5 gallon starter kit this weekend and make this beer. Which recipe do you like better the 2009 or 2010 version? I am leaning toward the 2010 version due to the lower IBUs, I dont like bitter beer, and I want to share this with my neighbors who drink light beers.

Could I cut the IBUs down a little more by only adding .75oz of fuggles, or will that mess with the flavor to much?

Actually, let me hit you up and all the rest of group with the most up-to-date Drunken Lullaby Recipe that I'm going to be brewing on Monday for this year's St. Paddys:

"Drunken Lullaby" Irish Red - Irish Red Ale - St. Paddy's 2013 Edition
Batch Size: 5.250 gal
Boil Size: 6.200 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.3%
Bitterness: 26.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 14 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Liquid Extract Extract 6.000 lb Yes No 78% 8 L
Barley, Flaked Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 70% 2 L
Roasted Barley Grain 1.600 oz Yes No 55% 300 L
Carafoam Grain 12.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 74% 60 L
Wheat, Torrified Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 79% 2 L
Brown Sugar, Dark Sugar 8.000 oz No Yes 100% 50 L
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 79% 2 L
Munich Malt Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 80% 9 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Kent Goldings 5.8% 1.000 oz Boil 22.000 min Pellet 11.2
Fuggles 4.8% 1.000 oz Boil 1.167 hr Pellet 14.8

Misc
Name Type Use Amount Time
Irish Moss Fining Boil 0.000 tsp 0.000 s

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

As far as your question goes, yeah you can cut down on the bittering hops if you want but I wouldn't go too far - it's pretty well balanced as it is considering and not very hoppy. I think you'll like the results if you follow the recipe, but you can always mess around with the recipe in a brewing software like beersmith or promash and adjust as needed. :mug: Have a great St. Paddy's everyone!!

As far as your question goes, yeah you can cut down on the bittering hops if you want but I wouldn't go too far - it's pretty well balanced as it is considering and not very hoppy. I think you'll like the results if you follow the recipe, but you can always mess around with the recipe in a brewing software like beersmith or promash and adjust as needed. :mug: Have a great St. Paddy's everyone!!

Thanks for the update, I actually brewed before you replied, I did go ahead and only used .75 of the fuggles. I cant wait to try this, as its my first 5 gallon batch. I will post back once I get it bottles and had a chance to consume.

Just finished brewing a batch of Drunken Lullaby. It's transferred to the primary and I'm ready to see fermentation start.

My OG was a little low, 1.052 at 77 degrees, but I only have a 5 gallon brew kettle and I had to add water to the primary to get it to 5.25 gallons. I'm gonna have to invest in a larger brew kettle.

The color looked absolutely perfect for an Irish Red. I'm looking forward to bottling it in a couple weeks and drinking it around the 1st of March.

Thanks for posting the recipe Dangerbrew.

Just finished brewing a batch of Drunken Lullaby. It's transferred to the primary and I'm ready to see fermentation start.

My OG was a little low, 1.052 at 77 degrees, but I only have a 5 gallon brew kettle and I had to add water to the primary to get it to 5.25 gallons. I'm gonna have to invest in a larger brew kettle.

The color looked absolutely perfect for an Irish Red. I'm looking forward to bottling it in a couple weeks and drinking it around the 1st of March.

Thanks for posting the recipe Dangerbrew.

ifnotuthenwho, mine was the same OG @~78f

Cant wait for March to roll around!

tonyscha said:
ifnotuthenwho, mine was the same OG @~78f

Cant wait for March to roll around!

Thanks for letting me know Tony. Did you brew today?

My beer has been in the primary for 2.5 hours and I already have burps in the airlock. That Safale yeast is really active.

Thanks for letting me know Tony. Did you brew today?

My beer has been in the primary for 2.5 hours and I already have burps in the airlock. That Safale yeast is really active.

I brewed on Friday, finished up around midnight, by Saturday afternoon it was going crazy, it was bubbling out of my airlock, I checked it sunday, and it calmed down.

One question, when it comes to bottling, how much priming sugar to use? Do you use cane or corn sugar?

Thanks

I brewed on Friday, finished up around midnight, by Saturday afternoon it was going crazy, it was bubbling out of my airlock, I checked it sunday, and it calmed down.

One question, when it comes to bottling, how much priming sugar to use? Do you use cane or corn sugar?

Thanks

Depends. You can use both to Carb. You can use any fermentable sugar. Each will provide a different taste and mouth feel. Look into different priming sugars.

Racked this from Primary to secondary, drew a little, in a glass. All I can say is amazing!!! The wife even thought it was good (considering it was warm and flat).

Posted a few pictures - http://akschaefer.com/2013/01/23/new-beer-kit-part-2/

When I get around to bottling, I am assuming about 5oz of sugar?

Edit:

OG around 1.054
CG around 1.012 (CG = current gravity? lol, not final yet!)

So this was my choice for a first brew, however I of course decided I wanted to have my own opinion without knowing what I was doing at all.... Long story short, I doubled my dark grains. It's now a hefty porter color, just racked it to the secondary last Sunday and it's still damn tasty with the random change. I am going to be bottling in the next couple days, guess we'll see what the final product is like in a couple weeks....

I am about to order the ingredients to make this recipe. I was just wondering if the amount of extract used in this recipe is dry or liquid. Thanks

I am about to order the ingredients to make this recipe. I was just wondering if the amount of extract used in this recipe is dry or liquid. Thanks

I brewed the 2010 recipe of this, still carbonating up, but the taste is awesome. Anyway I used LME for this recipe, but at the end of the day, its really up to what you prefer.

I brewed the 2010 recipe of this, still carbonating up, but the taste is awesome. Anyway I used LME for this recipe, but at the end of the day, its really up to what you prefer.

This is true. I've found DME to be more "full-bodied" but usually use LME because it's easier for me to store.

In any case if you need help with conversion to DME, you can convert liquid extract to dry by multiplying by 0.89, or dry to liquid by multiplying by 1.1.

Enjoy! :mug:

P.S. Just put my version on tap last week. Finished up at 1.016 and tastes great. For an added bonus, I aged it for about a month and a half on Jameson-soaked toasted cherrywood cubes. It tastes normal but with just a subtle hint of wood and whiskey. I highly recommend trying this if you have the ability - or even just on oak chips or cubes if those are easier to find - adds a cool new dimension to the Lullaby. Slainte ma hath, my friends! Have a great St. Paddy's!!!

For whatever reason when I ordered the grains to brew this I forgot to order vienna malt. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and brew without it or wait until I can pick some up?

Thanks

Mine took longer then normal to carbonate up, like 6 weeks, but now its carbonated, its an awesome brew. Thanks for the recipe dangerbrew

For whatever reason when I ordered the grains to brew this I forgot to order vienna malt. Would it be a good idea to go ahead and brew without it or wait until I can pick some up?

Thanks

I would wait to get some vienna, but whatevs... I'm sure it will still be good. Hope your St. Paddy's was a good one this year!!

Thanks for the recipe. Going to try this out this week. Two questions: At what temp did you ferment at? Also, what temp are you steeping at? and did you sparge/rinse with a higher temp? Ok... so that's three questions.

Cheers

:mug:

Edit. Mobile jacked me and didn't see the whole thread. Have all the temps now. What is your original volume of water for the grain steep? 1 1/2-2 gals?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the recipe. Going to try this out this week. Two questions: At what temp did you ferment at? Also, what temp are you steeping at? and did you sparge/rinse with a higher temp? Ok... so that's three questions.

Cheers

:mug:

Edit. Mobile jacked me and didn't see the whole thread. Have all the temps now. What is your original volume of water for the grain steep? 1 1/2-2 gals?

Thanks again.

Hey HanorGoogan,

I fermented around 66-68 F - steeped grains at about 155-156 F for around 35 to 40 min. Sparged with 170 F water.

May not be exact, but that's damned close. :D

Also I do around 2.5-2.75 gal each time for steeping.

Thanks for the info! Brewed this Monday. Fermenting strong at 62 F I'll get a pic up once it's done. Just have to enjoy this Submissive Brown Ale while I wait.

Greetings Dangerbrew, I am new to the brewing game, but I have started my first partial mash with your recipe because it sounds delicious. I wanted to say thank you for posting the recipe.

Update: I just finished bottling the beer, and it taste great! It was my first PM, and I cannot wait to make more.

Greetings Dangerbrew, I am new to the brewing game, but I have started my first partial mash with your recipe because it sounds delicious. I wanted to say thank you for posting the recipe.

Update: I just finished bottling the beer, and it taste great! It was my first PM, and I cannot wait to make more.

Hey Robert,

Glad you liked it! Always good to hear someone out there's enjoying a Drunken Lullaby. :tank:

Hey all, not sure if I'll get any replies on this old thread but I'll give it a shot anyways.

dangerbrew, I have a question concerning this beer do you think some temp swings will seriously damage the beer during fermentation? I try to control my temps and keep them stable but I don't really have any way to control them besides immersing my primary in water with some ice added. My house usually stands around 80*F so I can probably expect my water temp to be around 65-75 (maybe lower if I use ice though I'd be willing to bet money that it'll sit in the 70's range). Will this be too high for the US-04? If so, do you know of any other yeast that will preform ok for me?

apologies if my wording is unclear - I'm still a noob and am hoping to make this beer my second brew :)
--------
Edit: words and stuff

Hey all, not sure if I'll get any replies on this old thread but I'll give it a shot anyways.

dangerbrew, I have a question concerning this beer do you think some temp swings will seriously damage the beer during fermentation? I try to control my temps and keep them stable but I don't really have any way to control them besides immersing my primary in water with some ice added. My house usually stands around 80*F so I can probably expect my water temp to be around 65-75 (maybe lower if I use ice though I'd be willing to bet money that it'll sit in the 70's range). Will this be too high for the US-04? If so, do you know of any other yeast that will preform ok for me?

apologies if my wording is unclear - I'm still a noob and am hoping to make this beer my second brew :)
--------
Edit: words and stuff

Hey Palazar,

With 04, temp swings will definitely hurt it - it'll get pretty estery in that range. I'd try using US-05 instead and keeping it lower than 70-72 if at all possible. Good luck! :mug:

Ok thanks! Very much apprecitated :)

Also, what kind of crystal malt did you use? The Site that I buy my supplies from has several different crystal malts listed. From the descriptions, it seems like you'd be using 60L. Is this right?

Ok thanks! Very much apprecitated :)

Also, what kind of crystal malt did you use? The Site that I buy my supplies from has several different crystal malts listed. From the descriptions, it seems like you'd be using 60L. Is this right?

Yes, 60 Lovibond Crystal/Caramel Malt.

Back