Elec SaneKeg, bottom or side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mavrick1903

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm working on my first elect setup, and first AG setup. Wondering what the thinking is on going with a bottom dump, using a tri-clover on the original sanekeg fitting, vs going through the side. I'm also debating on weldless, vs silver solder.

welcome to any thoughts. Posted here in Elec first since that's the goal, if it should be posted in equip, I can repost there.

I do exactly that and love it. A 2" tri-clover with a modified gasket works perfectly,

I think that's a great idea, if you search around you'll see that many (like pickles above) have done just that.

Pickles, can you provide source url for hardware, and how the gasket was modified? do you do this with a BK, MLT or?

Check out Glacier Tanks they recently added a bunch of Tri-Clover stuff to their catalog and their prices are pretty nice. To modify the gasket all you need to do is cut the ridge off of one side, that end goes against your sanke keg neck.

I do it on the hlt and mt and LOVE it. It makes cleaning a cinch. In the future I will redo my bk to incorporate it. I have a hopstopper from Jaybird that I use in the bk and it will definately work great for a bottom drain on the bk. I ten to only use leaf hops, if I need a certain hop only available in pellet I'll use a bag for that additon.

is the theroy to reduce from the 2" (is that right, 2" at the sanke?) down to 1/2" for a valve to hose? wondering what the hardware list actually looks like.

Something like this, although I drew this for a different purpose. You'd use a silicone Tri-Clover Gasket and a 2" Tri to 1/2" FNPT + nipple or a 2"Tri to 1/2" MNPT, then to a ball valve. Of course using a 2" Tri-Clover Clamp to hold it all together.

Malt-Tube.jpg

Wyazz has a good example of what you might need. Ultimately it depends on your plumbing, one of mine was a 1/2" MNPT and the other was a 1/2" swagelok connector, both of which I fabricated. Bottom line is it's really flexible because of the universal fit of the 2" tri-clover. Keep in mind the size of the tri-clamp fitting, in this instance 2", is not indicative of the piping ID.

Thanks y'all. and I do understand the tri-clamp sizing, the step from 2" tri to 1/2" npt was the missing link. if I go directly to MNPT, do you suppose there is enough room for the valve handle to swing?

Thanks y'all. and I do understand the tri-clamp sizing, the step from 2" tri to 1/2" npt was the missing link. if I go directly to MNPT, do you suppose there is enough room for the valve handle to swing?

The only way to know for sure is to call the supplier you are purchasing from and ask someone to measure it or ask them to test fit the two items for you. .

The only way to know for sure is to call the supplier you are purchasing from and ask someone to measure it or ask them to test fit the two items for you. .

Thanks Wyzazz, I realized after I posted this that a ball valve has a 90* swing, so orientation should solve the issue.

Back