Using Residual Sugar as Priming Sugar in Bottle and then Keg Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacredBrew

Reaction score
I would like to use residual sugar in the still fermenting cider as the priming sugar for bottling. Does anyone know what specific gravity I should bottle the cider at for a finished cider that is dry to just-barely sweet? Obviously I want to avoid bottle bombs, but I want to use the sugar in the cider to get slight carbonation.

If I'm using kegs, I'm not worried about bottle bombs. If I'm going for a semi-sweet cider that is keg conditioned, at what specific gravity should I transfer the cider into the keg to get good carbonation from the residual sugars?

Cheers,

Jon

To do what your are trying to do, one would have to skip the ageing process all together. I don't think it would make for a tasty drink.

If you are going to carb off residual sugar, you do NOT want more than 1010 as your final gravity. 1010 will be perfect and allow enough room for safe bottle handling.

If you are going to carb off residual sugar, you do NOT want more than 1010 as your final gravity. 1010 will be perfect and allow enough room for safe bottle handling.

Bottle at 1010 and the bottles will break. Typical priming is about 2 to 3 gravity points.

My ciders seem to ferment down to 0.998 using ale yeasts. I hear they can go down to 0.990 with some yeasts.

Back