Is 8 weeks too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwec79j

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a northern brewer german helles kit. It has been in my lagering fridge for 8 weeks. I forgot to transfer it for secondary fermentation. Is it still good?

Hey guys, I have a northern brewer german helles kit. It has been in my lagering fridge for 8 weeks. I forgot to transfer it for secondary fermentation. Is it still good?

It's still in the primary? At fermentation temperatures? It is probably ok. I'd check and see how it tastes/smells and then rack it if it's ok. It should be, but I've never left a lager on the yeast cake more than 2 weeks or so.

It will be fine. If something is wrong, the problem is not that you left it in your refrigerator for 8 weeks. Give it a diacetyl rest and keg or bottle.

It will be...Someone on here, I can't recall who, mentioned in one of the long primary/no secondary threads, that he lagers for several months in primary.

There are people who claim you need the glass for long lagering because oxygen gets through the plastic, thoughts on this? I'm assuming he primaried in a bucket.

There are people who claim you need the glass for long lagering because oxygen gets through the plastic, thoughts on this? I'm assuming he primaried in a bucket.

there's a lot of folks who claim a lot of stuff that turns out to be wrong, or out dated, or pure conjecture...The whole glass vs plastics debate is one of those things.

My 5.5 months beer was primaried in a bucket if it matters...no issues.

Back