Is it ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HIMcDunnough

Reaction score
I was sealing the lid on my batch and I stuck the airlock into the hole and the rubber stopper fell into the beer! I tried to fish it out with my spoon, but I eventually cleaned up my arm as best I could and stuck it in the bucket and picked it out. What do you think? This is my second time trying homebrewing. My first time was a failure.

You should be okay. I mean, only time will tell for sure, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I would say RDWHAHB but based on your post, you have no homebrew to drink. Good luck and welcome.

Let it ferment out. You could get an infection, but it might turn out just fine, too. It depends upon so many variables. Make sure you get a stopper that fits your carboy or bucket well.

Have you read some good books on brewing?

I was sealing the lid on my batch and I stuck the airlock into the hole and the rubber stopper fell into the beer! I tried to fish it out with my spoon, but I eventually cleaned up my arm as best I could and stuck it in the bucket and picked it out. What do you think? This is my second time trying homebrewing. My first time was a failure.

hopefully you sanitised your arm first :D always have another grommet on standby, just leave the first one in the bucket.

That happened to me, too! I used star-san to sanitize, and that sure made it slippery. I didn't dig it out, just duct taped the airlock in place and it was fine. That was more than 4 years ago, and I bought another one of those grommets and it never happened again! Of course, now I always put the airlock on the lid, and then the lid on the bucket. I sound like Rainman muttering "The airlock goes on the lid, and then the lid goes on the bucket" to myself until I actually do that.

It'll be fine. Ideally, you would have left it in there and not risked contaminating with your warm but it still should be absolutely fine!

Don't listen to them! Its ruined! Ahhhhhhhhh the humanity!!!!!

hindenburg-300x224.jpg

No, really, it will be fine.

I feel better now. I was sure it was doomed. But we'll have to wait and see.

I have Papazian's book and Homebrewing for Dummies.

Anyways, I'll have a Founders and get over it!

Thanks for the replies!

This happened to me once so I sanitized my arm and dug out the grommet. Two hours later the hair on my arm was gone but the beer was OK. You should be fine.:)

It happened to me once too. I quickly sanitized my boil kettle and transferred my wort (post pitching) back to it. I got the grommett back and re-sanitized it and my bucket. Then I just transfered everything back and tried again and called it some bonus aeration :)

I had the same thing happen to me once. I didn't even sanitize my hand, and no problems. I may have been lucky but hey I worry too much about my brews. I can't tell you how many times I said to myself..."I ruined this batch I know it..." and guess what...perfectly good beer. Don't fret. Always a chance something went wrong but don't give up until you know it is definitely ruined. Then stick it in a closet somewhere for a month or 2 then come back to it and see if it is still ruined.

Not sure, I never really investigated why the first batch failed. My first time I was not as prepared as this time. I've read more this time and seem to have a better understanding.
I think I understand now that failure is a part of the process!

Assuming you sanitize your bung before you place it near your beer, you are willing to take the chances with sticking your germ laden arm with who knows what under your fingernails rather than let a sanitary piece of rubber chill until your beer is done?

I actually did this to my very first batch. I took a deep breath, put my arm as far as I could into my bucket of Starsan, then reached into the fermenter with my sanitized arm and got the airlock out, cleaned the airlock up and put it back on the fermenter. That beer was delicious. You'll be fine.

You're so baaad. :)

Baaad? I think that comes from the muzzle.
goat.jpg

I still can't believe people lose their stoppers in the fermenter. I jsut can't see how it happens. Every time I read one of these threads I can't help but think, "What morons!"

No offense...

But, yeah, it will be ok. And FYI - I've also never broken my hydrometer!

The first time I used an "ale pail" style fermenter I didn't wet the airlock or grommet and ended up pushing the grommet through the lid and into the wort. Stupid, but nothing bad came of it and I doubt it's a mistake I will make again.

Latest posts

Back