Kolsch yeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raffie

Reaction score
Well brewed my beer, did the smack pack, after 3+ hrs it only inflated a little.

Pitched yeat when wort was at 68 degrees.

My temp gage in room and on beer read 60 degrees and the yeast is still doing nothing after 12hrs.

I was told the pilsner year is a little moody so thats why I went with this hybrid yeast.

Any one has some suggestions?

Should I give it 1 more day and say heck with it and pitch some ale then?

Relax, don't worry, have a something something. Give it at least another 48 hours before becoming concerned.

Raffie said:
Well brewed my beer, did the smack pack, after 3+ hrs it only inflated a little.

You've got to give it more time to get going, 24 hours minimum.

Still new at brewing and all Ale yeastis up and running in 10hrs.

Ok will chill, thx very much for the information.

So you didn't make a starter?

It will take a while for the yeast to get going. I hope you also aerated your wort really well. A lag time of 3 days won't be unusual for your brew, so be patient.

Well, what yeast did you use? Kolsch yeast is kolsch yeast and is not a pilsner in any thing except maybe color...

A hybrid yeast for a kolsch? Yeah, you did make a pilsner as most of the flavors in a kolsch comes from the yeast...

You could bring the temperature up to 70F until it starts fermenting. The yeast will grow faster at higher temperatures, but it should be going in 48-72 hours even at 60F.

Raffie said:
Wyeast 2565

Well that's a kolsch yeast and not a hybrid. 60° should be fine, but if you didn't give the activater pack enough time, it will just take longer to get going is all. Start thinking about it when it hits 48hrs and is still doing nothing - repitch after 72 if it still isn't doing anything. 12hrs is not nearly enough time.

Crap I edited my last reply and it didn't take.

Anyways about 22hrs after pitching I can see it starting. I see little spittle on the surface. w00t.

This kolsch better turn out good.... this month and a half of cold conditioning is sucking up valuable fridge space. I actually had to put a keg in a ice filled bucket this past weekend.

I'm in Seattle in a condo, I got the beer in the spare bedroom, if I need it colder I shut the door and open the window.

Back