American Pale Ale Water Adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycr

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to water adjustment, trying not to do too much damage to an innocent batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale. Starting from RO water (water reports in the Phoenix area are pretty pointless as they switch water sources throughout the year, according to Four Peaks Brewing locally).

Aiming for some hop bite but I'd like a smooth beer.

For amounts, keep in mind that this is a 2.5 gallon batch.

Thank you!

Screen%20Shot%202012-11-18%20at%2011.34.45%20PM.png

Ended up going with 1 gram of gypsum, 1 gram of epsom salt, 0.8 grams of calcium chloride, and added 1 oz of acid malt to the grist. Looked good in Bru'n Water (an almost exact match for 'Yellow Bitter'), sure it'll be good.

How did this beer turn out? How many IBUs? I am doing a Apa with ibu around 35-40 and I cannot decide if I should go with yellow balanced or yellow bitter profile?

How did this beer turn out? How many IBUs? I am doing a Apa with ibu around 35-40 and I cannot decide if I should go with yellow balanced or yellow bitter profile?

I would split the difference then. Just toggle the two profiles and try to get your additions to specs right in the middle of the two. I'd got with yellow bitter for an APA though, but I like to accentuate the hops in that style personally.

Back