Automatic electronic pilot light fof propane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heapyjeepy

Reaction score
I want to set up a gas fired HERMS/RIMS system that will be heated by my Bango propane burners.

Instead of using a gas fired pilot light, could I just use an electronic pilot lighter similar to a grill? Just push button and it lights the main burners?

The thing is, I would like to make my system as "turn key as possible" and not have to lite the gas pilots each brew. Also while Im at it, correct me if Im doing anything wrong with my gas system. If I were to go with a gas pilot it would go between the Two stage Reg and Furnace valve

LP Tank->30PSI Reg->Manifold->1/2PSI Two stage Reg-> Furnace Valve->LP Orfice for Banjo Burner-> Banjo Burner

I thought about doing the same thing with my burners, but I could not make it work fully automated. I decided to go with a standing pilot for simplicity. Thought about doing a intermittent pilot, then realized I would need a furnace module. And I'm sure you already know this, but you'll need low pressure orifice's on your banjo burners as well.

Which furnace valves are you thinking of using? Are you going to be PID controlling some of your burners? Did you find furnace valves that operate with high pressure propane or did you mean to write low pressure?

My set-up uses the honeywell vr8200 valves and I have to manually press and hold a pilot button on the valve while lighting each burner. These valves have the pilot and thermocouple (which senses if the pilot blows out) built right in. This takes 30 seconds to light all the pilot lights. The standing pilot light makes the rest of the set-up so easy.

Assuming you are going to use PIDs for temp control:
With your idea of the grill push button, what would you use to ensure that the grill lighter fires at the same time the gas turns on each time it cycles on/off?
They make fancy electronic ignitions, but I was under the impression that they are a bit spendy.

Back