Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking about brewing up a big pot of coffee, letting it cool, and then adding a pound of honey per liter and a pack of D-47 with a little yeast energizer and see what happens... its gotta be better than the time I attempted to just use espresso grounds in primary...

CreamyGoodness said:
I'm thinking about brewing up a big pot of coffee, letting it cool, and then adding a pound of honey per liter and a pack of D-47 with a little yeast energizer and see what happens... its gotta be better than the time I attempted to just use espresso grounds in primary...

Can't be any worse than adding okra :p

All these pictures make me want to get into mead making. So far I've concentrated on beer and wine. Time to branch out I suppose.

All these pictures make me want to get into mead making. So far I've concentrated on beer and wine. Time to branch out I suppose.

Same advice I give to complete and utter noobs... I suggest you do a batch of JAOM first and see if you like it.

Personally I can drink gallons of JAOM just by myself.

CreamyGoodness said:
Same advice I give to complete and utter noobs... I suggest you do a batch of JAOM first and see if you like it.

Yeah, I saw that recipe when I first joined the forum. I figured I'd try it. Seems pretty simple.

And the thing about JAOM is if you have to ask a question... you are overthinking it.

I would suggest having mead for the premier of the new season of Game of Thrones. I know I will have the mead and the goblets all set. :mug:

The wife wont let me bring horns into the house. I think I poo'ed in that well when I started harvesting pork shoulder bones.

Such a shame... really nice brewer had one set aside for me and everything.

CreamyGoodness said:
The wife wont let me bring horns into the house. I think I poo'ed in that well when I started harvesting pork shoulder bones.

Such a shame... really nice brewer had one set aside for me and everything.

If its just one horn already set aside for you... Do it anyway... She'll forgive you. :)

Some more medas goingo to bottle this Summer in Brazil!!!

RaspBerry Melomel - with a touch of Vanilla
IMG_6797_zps47792120.jpg

IMG_6800_zps01a73c19.jpg

New Batch of BlackBerry Melomel - also with Vanilla
IMG_6801_zpsb7dd4173.jpg

IMG_6803_zpsa82f200b.jpg

IMG_6814_zps371a5576.jpg

Best wishs to all!

But also keep in mind that any wine you make with sugar can be made with honey and then some. Not everything you make with honey can be made with sugar.
Not everyone likes JMAO as-is. Even tried others, still said 'ick'. But I still make plenty of mead that I enjoy. And I still make JMAO each year, hoping I hit the jackpot as it ages.

But also keep in mind that any wine you make with sugar can be made with honey and then some. Not everything you make with honey can be made with sugar.
Not everyone likes JMAO as-is. Even tried others, still said 'ick'. But I still make plenty of mead that I enjoy. And I still make JMAO each year, hoping I hit the jackpot as it ages.

Fair enough, personal preferences are just that. However, my main point is that MAKING a JAOM as your first mead is a healthy exercise, as it gives you some experience and an idea of what you do and do not like about mead. An experienced beer/wine brewer could make JAOM, taste it, and alter/fiddle accordingly. Crawl before you walk, and get tipsy at the same time, as it were... :) :mug:

JOAM is a great place to start. I tried original recipe and then my modified (zesting, no pith, D47). I like original better at this point. I suspect I didn't pay too much attention to temp control with the D47. But the process was addictive and kept me reading and thinking how to improve. I surprised myself (and others) with how well the Blueberry turned out which then got me working on bigger and better things. But, like Saramc, I'm going to keep fiddling with a JOAM to see if I can hit the sweat spot (pun intended). :)

Dark malt braggot at 5 months. It is very drinkable (which is good because my pipeline ran dry and I am drinking it). It has a very interesting taste. I have never had a braggot before so I am hoping it is the correct taste. The glass may look a little fogged as I chilled it first.

Braggot.jpg

Here is a pic of my Orange Melomel...wish I would have known about blow-offs earlier as I had 4 days of excitment. 3 gal test and should have made more as this is yummy...and it was just bottled last week. Have a Blueberry / Vanilla melomel fementing now that will be backsweetened with another 3lbs of blueberrys and up to 2 lbs of additional honey. Going for a desert-type mead for the wife and various family members.

orange melomel.jpg

TeufelHundenM198 said:
Just bottled this a few minutes ago... medium sweet mead from tupelo honey. :D Bulk aged it for ~1 year. I wanted to let it go longer, but I needed the carboy back, so I'm letting it age in the bottles for another year.

Are those frosted bottles? They look nice!!! Did you do any acid tests and balances on this or just straight up tupelo? Mind pming me the recipe and details?

Beginning a five yeast experiment with simple mead.

View attachment 97535

The yeast strains are labeled on the bottles and I used 15 lbs of clover honey in 5 gallons of spring water. I add fermaid every four days and aerate. I will continue that until I get through the 1/3 sugar break then rerack into a secondary until my SG allows for bottling.

Also with the extra must, I used bread yeast and in the growler is bread yeast and freeze dried strawberries. (Honestly, that's what I had lying around and didn't wanna dump the extra...)

I am a long way from results, but ask me in a few months. Any criticism, ideas or questions are welcomed.

Now that is a labeling system I think I could get into. :)

The flavors sound very good.

Thats the temporary labeling system but it works lol. They all look the same. I should mix them up and be a surprise every time I open a bottle lol. These turned out awesome. Different but good. Though My favorite one I made is the Jalapeno/Cucumber mead. Loved that mead glad i still have a few bottles. :mug:

I better get to try them all!

of course. your the guinea pig for most of my creations lol.

Thats the temporary labeling system but it works lol. They all look the same. I should mix them up and be a surprise every time I open a bottle lol. These turned out awesome. Different but good. My favorite one I made is the Jalapeno/Cucumber mead. Love that mead. :mug:

of course. your the guinea pig for most of my creations lol.

You should try my okra mead ;)

Haven't been around for a while, and this is my first time in the Mead forum.

I was inspired to start brewing mead after a recent homebrew club meeting. I can see this becoming my new obsession.

My first batch's, both are traditional, with 3lbs local honey and Lalvin D-47.
As soon as these go into the secondary I'll start two more and experiment some.... If I can wait that long.

DSC_6051_zpsbe43157e.jpg

Top shelf: Vanilla, 3 Apple Pie
Second shelf: 2 Burnt Honey Mead, Coco Mead, JAOM, Traditional Sweet Mead
Second Picture is Cherry Melomel, but I'm calling it O+

meadcloset.jpg

cherry.jpg

This is some reserved must I had in the fridge, waiting until I racked the rest of the mead off the raspberry pulp. It tastes pretty good and I couldn't beleive how clear it was after a week in the fridge.

image-1463530879.jpg

I'll trade some mead lol. I heard that didnt turn out that good. (thanks westlyS) lol

It was an experience... thats all I can say... lol. Let me put it this way, I have a friend who is an adventurous eater like me. One night at a restaurant we shared plates of goat brains, testicles, heart etc.

He looked at the okra mead and said "James, that looks disgusting"

Back