Distilled Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tully72

Reaction score
I just put a batch of Welch's together and realized afterwards that the water was marked distilled and not spring. Any problems here?

If I'm not mistaken distilled water is really only a no-no for mashing grains due to the lower (EDIT: higher) pH. It should be fine for Welches.

If I'm not mistaken distilled water is really only a no-no for mashing grains due to the lower pH. It should be fine for Welches.

Not really- you can use distilled water for a mash as well. Often, brewers will add a little bit of calcium via gypsum or calcium chloride to help with flocculation and yeast health, but it's not even strictly necessary. Distilled water is fine, and is fine for winemaking.

Not really- you can use distilled water for a mash as well. Often, brewers will add a little bit of calcium via gypsum or calcium chloride to help with flocculation and yeast health, but it's not even strictly necessary. Distilled water is fine, and is fine for winemaking.

That's good to know as I just installed an RO system in my house today. :D

That's good to know as I just installed an RO system in my house today. :D

good for you! I finally bought one about a year ago myself, because I got tired of hauling water from the store. I have great tasting tap water, but it was too high in bicarbonate to use undiluted for many beers so I finally bought an RO system myself.

But I still use tap water for my wines anyway!

I do have to say, I always -- beer, wine, or mead -- boil my tap water to de-chlorinate it. Any issues with that?

And/or is it necessary?

I do have to say, I always -- beer, wine, or mead -- boil my tap water to de-chlorinate it. Any issues with that?

And/or is it necessary?

If the chlorine is noticeable to your palate, then yup, boiling your water to off gas the chlorine is not a bad idea. But that's the only time I do it. I brew in several different places, one of which is a city with noticeably chlorinated water.

Back