First time poster - what to dry hop with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edin88

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been reading hbt for a few weeks now and just brewed my first ever beer (all grain) 22 days ago (it's a hefeweizen that's carbonating now).

My question is about the IPA I brewed 2 days ago. It was 10 lb. rahr pale 2-row, 1 lb. Munton's carapils and 1 lb. Munton's Crystal 40.

1 oz. Amarillo (8.7AA) at 60 min, and then i did my own version of continuously hopping with another 1 oz of Amarillo (threw in a few pellets every 4 minutes until the 15 minute mark). At 15, I did .5 oz. Cascade and then another .5 oz at 5 minutes.

My question is this...

dry-hop with cascade or willamette? It seems the general idea on here is to dry-hop with what you used in the boil, but why is that exactly? Would not using a new hop create a more complex hop aroma? Or not? No matter which one I use, though, I'll stick to 1 oz. for the ~6 gallon batch i made

Thanks,
-Edin

You probably will get a more complex flavor, but you might not be able to distinguish what characteristics you prefer if you do that. I have been sticking to a couple every time I brew so I can distinguish. For example one time I will do Chinook and nugget and the next centennial and nugget. It helped me realize that centennial doesn't work as well with my taste and the way I brew.

That makes a lot of sense, I have a VERY limited pallet for distinguishing hops.

Thanks!

Dry hopping is for aroma. The aroma will enhance the flavor that is there already, so I would dry hop with what you used in the brew.

beergolf said:
Dry hopping is for aroma. The aroma will enhance the flavor that is there already, so I would dry hop with what you used in the brew.

+1 to this, I would use the Cascade

If you have a limited palate I would say it doesn't really matter all that much. I am the same way and I've used everything from Cascade to Mt. Hood to Saaz to dry hop. The other members around here usually know what they're talking about and won't steer you wrong...so the Cascade will be a good choice. I just know that I throw all kinds of stuff in there and am mostly happy with the results. Just my two cents.

Great advice. Can't wait to get like 8 IPAs done, dry-hop differently, and then be able to see for myself what the end result is. but that's way down the road from now....

Back