Questions on hop bursted ales.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootstrapBill

Reaction score
So I have been seeing stuff on hop bursted ales. I think it is an interesting idea, so does it just carry a lot of flavor and nose since it is added towards the end while keeping the ibus lower since they have a lower utilization rate? What are some good examples of one commercially and what would be a good hop schedule for one?

I live in Seattle if that makes a difference for availability of micro and craft examples.

For a hop burst schedule, do an ounce or two for bittering (60 min) and save the rest for 20 min and under (20/15/10/5/0). Google 'hop utilization chart' and you can see exactly what the hops contribute at the specific times.

For a hop burst schedule, do an ounce or two for bittering (60 min) and save the rest for 20 min and under (20/15/10/5/0). Google 'hop utilization chart' and you can see exactly what the hops contribute at the specific times.

Or add 4+oz at/around flameout, and 4oz dryhop.

Using an IBU calculator (available in any number of stand-alone programs and also online recipe creators) will allow you to play around with the amounts and times and see what the results are. Generally speaking, you will want to stack all of your hops after 20 min.

Another option would be to use a single clean, high alpha bittering addition (such as Magnum) early in the boil, then just stack a $h!tload of aroma hops in the last 5 min...the addition to the IBU's will be miniscule, but strictly speaking, if you are going to call what you're doing hopbursting, I think all the IBU's should come from additions in the last 15-20 min.

Here's an example, from my last APA (OG 1.055, ~40 IBU's) -- gave a great hop aroma and flavor without any dry hops:

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.20 15.1 20 min.
0.50 oz. Citra Pellet 14.40 9.2 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.20 5.0 5 min.
1.00 oz. Citra Pellet 14.40 11.5 2 min.

Using an IBU calculator (available in any number of stand-alone programs and also online recipe creators) will allow you to play around with the amounts and times and see what the results are. Generally speaking, you will want to stack all of your hops after 20 min.

Another option would be to use a single clean, high alpha bittering addition (such as Magnum) early in the boil, then just stack a $h!tload of aroma hops in the last 5 min...the addition to the IBU's will be miniscule, but strictly speaking, if you are going to call what you're doing hopbursting, I think all the IBU's should come from additions in the last 15-20 min.

Here's an example, from my last APA (OG 1.055, ~40 IBU's) -- gave a great hop aroma and flavor without any dry hops:

Hops

I've done it both ways. Without any bittering additions, I've found the bitterness to be a bit weaker than the measured IBU. In many cases that's a good thing, it's just something to be aware of.

Could anyone that has experience with dome hop bursted ales give a description of the flavor differences?

All Grain Recipe - Gumball Head Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal) Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed) 6 lbs. - Wheat Malt 5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt 1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU) 1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop 1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min. 1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min. 1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min. 1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min. 1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil Mash at 153° for 60 min. Sparge as usual Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

biochemedic said:

Hops

So when you do a hop schedule like this (with no early bitterns additions), do you still boil for 60 minutes? Or do you shorten your boil time. And if you still do a longer one hour boil, why?

I only hop burst with no bittering additions, all hops are added with 20 or less. The aroma and flavor are fantastic. And the ibus will not reflect the true bitterness of the beer. I regularly do 6.7% brews with up to 90 ibu and can hardly taste the bitterness let alone it being too bitter.

I read somewhere that up to 95% of firestone walkers ales ibus come from late hop addition...I think it was in mr. Malty's article on this but I could be wrong

HollisBT said:
So when you do a hop schedule like this (with no early bitterns additions), do you still boil for 60 minutes? Or do you shorten your boil time. And if you still do a longer one hour boil, why?

Yea, still a 60 min boil for me...it's an interesting question, and I think I remember seeing a thread about shorter boils recently.

One reason to do the full boil would be simply to get down to final wort volume and post boil gravity, although I suppose you could just take into account the shorter boil in your recipe calculations. There are other theoretical reasons to boil a certain length too, such as driving off DMS precursors.

I have to admit, I'm not sure what the "minimum" length of boil below which you may have adverse effect on your beer...

I do partial boils and hop bursting has really helped get that flavor I'm looking for. I'll do FWH then nothing until at least 20 minutes. Comes out awesome.

I do partial boils and hop bursting has really helped get that flavor I'm looking for. I'll do FWH then nothing until at least 20 minutes. Comes out awesome.

Back