American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much folks, I really appreciate it! I brewed this as a PM a few years ago, I can't wait to do it again.

Mine's bubbling away but very very slowly but pretty steadily. Since I'm using a waterbath (with a shirt cover) and stocking it with frozen water bottles (Two 2l twice a day) maybe it's just colder than I think. I suppose that's life sense of irony. The one I didn't think would need a blowoff made a mess, the one I expected would need it (and used one for) is being incredibly civilized.

This AG will be my first attempt at making beer. The Cascade Hops I picked up at the LHBS were 9.1 instead of 6.6... Do I just decrease by roughly a third. Thanks for the help.

So I got all he ingredients for AG except they LHBS didn't have veinna they suggested light Munich. Otherwise its spot on. I made a PM of this a few years ago and remember really like it. I am quite excited.

Yes, decrease proportionally on your bittering addition to insure appropriate IBU's

Thanks for the help. I decreased my hop additions like you suggested. All went well till my hop bag opened and they were all loose in the boil. Kept clogging my kettle drain and I had to keep sticking a wire in the valve to keep it flowing to my fermentor.

erschwenk said:
Thanks for the help. I decreased my hop additions like you suggested. All went well till my hop bag opened and they were all loose in the boil. Kept clogging my kettle drain and I had to keep sticking a wire in the valve to keep it flowing to my fermentor.

It will still be beer - some of my best brews had non-catastrophic problems - no worries!

This is on the menu for a weekend brew day. Wish I would have made it earlier because it sounds to be a good warm weather drinking brew.

I brewed up 5 gallons of this and I have to say it is a great beer. It is carbing up in the keg as I am typing this and will definitely do this again.

I did this by the book a few months ago and it was wonderful. This time I upped the grain bill proportionally to 12 lbs and ended up with a 1.065 OG. I didn't have enough Cascade so I used Northern Brewer for bittering and an ounce of Cascade at flameout. Anxious to try this modified version!

Did a partial mash version of this yesterday. Pretty excited abut it and I'll be doing it AG next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Brewed this Monday with saf 05. High Krausen was on Tuesday and by yesterday it started clearing. I washed the 05 from a different batch and made a starter but holy crap its working fast!

Making a second hybrid batch of this given I really loved this beer. It's going to be this grain bill, while toasting a pound of the 2-row (Lake Walk inspired) and will be hopped to the same IBU's with Simcoe and Amarillo. Should be a crisp, easy drinking APA!

Did a partial mash version of this yesterday. Pretty excited abut it and I'll be doing it AG next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Just curious, did you follow the partial mash instructions for this recipe or did you make adjustments? This will probably be my next batch.

brian74 said:
Just curious, did you follow the partial mash instructions for this recipe or did you make adjustments? This will probably be my next batch.

I basically followed the recipe. Used a strainer bag and mashed the Vienna and Munich. Wrapped the pot in towels instead of putting it in the oven though. I used LME not DME. 6# if I remember correctly. Hops as stated in the recipe, I'm going to check it today but I'm thinking about doing a secondary and dry hopping.

I basically followed the recipe. Used a strainer bag and mashed the Vienna and Munich. Wrapped the pot in towels instead of putting it in the oven though. I used LME not DME. 6# if I remember correctly. Hops as stated in the recipe, I'm going to check it today but I'm thinking about doing a secondary and dry hopping.

I checked my notes, I had the Vienna and the Crystal (not Munich, sorry) the same, 6 lbs of LME, and hop schedule was the same. I did a full-volume boil. Just tasted it and it has a ton of potential. I'm going to transfer to secondary and dry hop in the next few days. Can't wait to have this one bottled.

THIS IS GOOD BEER! Have brewed this 3 times, third time I added 2 oz of chocolate malt, wow! It's excellent, a little darker (duh), taste is a little richer. That batch won't last long, time to brew more!

Thanks for another great recipe edwort! I just brought a keg of my 4th batch of this to a party on Friday and we killed it and another keg of ipa. Everyone loved it. Most of the crowd weren't BMC drinkers but even the ones who were seemed to enjoys this. Im sure ill make it again soon!

Phew after 2 weeks or so I FINALLY finished reading all of the posts. I'm a beer nerd & actually enjoyed reading all of the comments & recommendations on what people have done over the past 5 years...5 years! Anyways I stopped by AHS today to pick up ingredients for my next 4 brews & this being one of them. I'm going to start w/ a 5gal batch & then maybe do a larger batch later. Have to fill some of the taps in our Keezer so just doing 5gals now.

AHS didn't have Admiral hops so I purchased one of the substitute hops instead. I purchased 2 ounces of Challenger & will use slightly less to achieve the 14.75% AA. I'm sure it will be just fine. I also went w/ WLP001 for the yeast b/c I recall someone else saying they used this yeast. I've used it several times before and I always make a starter so I'm not too worried about that. I know a starter isn't required but I tend to do things the same when it comes to brew days and I actually enjoy making starters.

Thanks again Ed for the great recipe(s). Anyone here that's from Austin part of Austin ZEALOTS? If not maybe some of us Austinites could meet up sometime for a brew & talk shop one of these days. The next couple of days will be spent in the brew cave brewing up new beers including this one. :ban:

I'm excited to brew this as my first AG batch this weekend, and I found a LHBS as well to get all my stuffs from!!

Happy brewer:mug:

Grains are sitting in the Mash tun as we speak. I realized that the hops I listed in my previous post was from another recipe I'm brewing up this week. At first I freaked out & thought I got the wrong ones but all is well.

I checked my notes, I had the Vienna and the Crystal (not Munich, sorry) the same, 6 lbs of LME, and hop schedule was the same. I did a full-volume boil. Just tasted it and it has a ton of potential. I'm going to transfer to secondary and dry hop in the next few days. Can't wait to have this one bottled.

This was one of two beers I recently kegged as my first venture into kegging. Really good stuff and I'm loving having a kegging setup. Can't wait to try this one again, will definitely do all-grain next time.

Finally getting around to posting. Brewed this up 2 months ago for my first ever AG. Very exciting. Very very tasty. I didn't hold my ferm temps great and got a little bit of fusel in the back end, but nothing my friends really notice, only me when I pick it apart. Maybe a little astringency as well. Still great though. I've noticed that the middle seems to have a very 'juicy' malt flavor. for lack of a better term. Im thinkin this may be the Munich malt? Im trying to get better at picking apart what flavors are coming from where in a brew.

About six weeks ago I did a scaled up batch (about 12lb grainbill) and added an extra ounce of Cascade at flameout. I kegged it at three weeks and started tasting at 4 weeks. It was ok but now at six weeks it's EXCELLENT! The hops finally showed up!

Not sure if it will last two more weeks. This is my second batch of haus pale ale and I plan on a third really soon!

Huskysibe said:
I made this Monday and it's now Saturday and ready to keg, I can't wait to drink it!

Give it a couple more weeks in the fermenter. You'll be glad you did :)

I missed OG on this due to some poor poor poor eff. (50%) @ 1.034

Notty took her all the way down to 1.003 in 10days, I was shocked!!

Made another 10 gallons of this. Its a house favorite that is a quick grain to glass that i can tweak with different hops and specialty grains at times. Ed is the grandmaster of simplicity.:mug:

Brewed 10 gal Sat night. Used S-04 on one bucket and US-05 on the other. Air lock sniffing is a wonderful thing! Going to let it ride for 3 weeks, then keg. Can't wait. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Latest posts

Back