dry hopping affecting color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingbarrister

Reaction score
I brewed the pale ale recipe from "brewing classic styles" and decided to dry hop (never have before). Dry hopped in secondary for 4 days and some hops came out of the paint strainer bag. The beer tastes good but the beer has a slight brown color to it instead of an amber yellow. Anyone experience this before? Is it because the hops came out of the bag? Cheers!

I wouldn't think that dryhopping would change the color of your beer...I dry hop with pellets and don't even use a strainer bag, and everything eventually floats to the bottom. It may just be changing color as everything (hops, yeast etc) continues to settle out.

Dryhopping usually contributes a haziness to the beer, but not a darkening. If you brewed from extract, extract based beers usually come out darker than expected.

How long did you leave the beer in the fermenter before dry hopping in the secondary? I think you still had suspended yeast that reflected light making your beer look lighter and when you let it sit longer in the secondary the yeast settled out making the beer appear darker.

Back