American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Yooper...Took FG reading tonight (will also be taking tomorrow night). Came out to 1.013. OG for me was 1.051. Being a noob and all, if I take FG again tomorrow night and it's 1.013 again...Should I then dry hop for the next week, and then bottle? Thanks!

Hi Yooper...Took FG reading tonight (will also be taking tomorrow night). Came out to 1.013. OG for me was 1.051. Being a noob and all, if I take FG again tomorrow night and it's 1.013 again...Should I then dry hop for the next week, and then bottle? Thanks!

Yes, that sounds great. When you check the SG tomorrow, take a look at the sample for clarity first. If it's not clear, or at least clearing, I'd wait before dryhopping. I only like to package nice clear beer, as then less crud will fall out in the bottle.

Just took another FG reading. It's up to 1.015 (was at 1.013 on Friday night). Grrrr.

Also, I tasted the sample and it had that wet carboard finish :( I'm under the assumption that this means that oxygen was introduced at some point, but I don't see how it could've happened? I took care of it and handled it well. I didn't even open the fermenter until 13 days into primary fermentation (to take a FG reading). The only thing that could POSSIBLY account for it is that I normally stir the wort with my thermometer when it's in the ice bath, allowing it to cool down quicker.

Could this be an issue?

Either way, I'm still going to drink it and all...Just kinda disappointed. Or...Maybe there's nothing wrong with it at all and it's just green?

I brewed up my 3rd batch of this about a month ago. The other 2 I didn't dry hop because I was buying all the ingredients on a per batch basis and didn't want to buy the extras hops. A lb of cascade pellets solved that problem and i threw about 1.25 oz in my primary about a week ago thinking I would bottle it this weekend. Something came up and I won't be able to bottle it for at least 2 weeks.

Think it will make much difference?

I am a new brewer with 13 batches under my belt and was looking forward to tasting the difference between a dry hopped version and the other versions I brewed.

I just had one of these last night after 10 days in the bottle. I can detect a distinct cascade taste and aroma. I would think the aroma will be more once fully carbed. I like it. No grassy flavor that I can detect

Brewed up another batch of this yesterday. I spilled about 1/2 pound of my grain while mashing in. In an effort to make up some gravity points I threw in .75 lbs of flaked oats I had sitting around from a Blue Moon Clone batch I made last summer. I figured what the hell. I am learning and experimenting anyway. Wound up with 1.054. I also used 1 oz of 10.1 Amarillo for bittering and dropped an ounce of cascade 5.5 pellets in a few at a time the last 30 minutes (dogfish head style)

Do you think I should use a little less priming sugar when I bottle this in a few weeks? I read oats help with head retention.

Drinking this now from the keg and it is amazing. It's crystal clear, and once I get the picture onto my computer I'll add it to the Post a Picture thread. This is the first beer we've made where I thought "holy ****, we made this?" It can stand up there with many commercial pale ales. Thanks Yooper, I'll be making this again and again.

Really looking forward to this brew. I picked up the grains, yeast & hops for this and will probably be brewing it a couple weeks from now. This will be my first pale ale & my second AG batch. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Yooper.

hey yooper (or anyone else with experience brewing this),

Would this recipe benefit from some head grains, like carapils, flaked barley, oats, etc?

Im gonna brew tomorrow.

thanks all,
HIt

hey yooper (or anyone else with experience brewing this),

Would this recipe benefit from some head grains, like carapils, flaked barley, oats, etc?

Im gonna brew tomorrow.

thanks all,
HIt

Well, not oats because they are oily and can kill head retention. But if you tend to have a lack of foam, you could try carapils or wheat if you want. It's not really needed with that much crystal malt, though.

Yooper said:
Well, not oats because they are oily and can kill head retention. But if you tend to have a lack of foam, you could try carapils or wheat if you want. It's not really needed with that much crystal malt, though.

Thanks for the quick reply yooper!! That's kinda what I was thinking, but it's been a while and I couldn't remember if the head was in need of enhancement.

Guess I screwed up adding oats to make up for spilling some grain mashing. This beer has always had good head retention for me. My dry hopped version more so than the others. Maybe a little more priming sugar before bottling?

Just kegged another batch of this. The first batch I brewed turned out great. I brewed the 2nd batch BIAB style and I'm really interested in seeing how it compares to the first.

I brewed this recently and was considering adding an ounce of either palisade or calypso with the ounce of cascade for dry hops. Has anyone done that experiment yet?

I kegged this tonight. Smells great. I think this will be a good one. Thanks yoop.
So, it's now tomorrow night and I took a sample of this beer. Great grapefruit nose. I am really happy with this one. Missed my OG pretty bad, but it will be a nice drinker in the summer!

What yeast do you like to use in this recipe Yooper ? I know its an American Ale but wasn't sure if you used any thing other than 1056

What yeast do you like to use in this recipe Yooper ? I know its an American Ale but wasn't sure if you used any thing other than 1056

I've used LOTS of different yeasts in this, from Denny's Favorite 50 to Wyeast 1335 (an English strain) to S05. I like them all but a good standard 1056/wlp001/So5 is probably my favorite.

Thanks Yoop...brewed this on Feb 22nd, but sub'd 4 oz of Summit, 2 of which were flameout. Estimated 43 IBU. Also, didn't dry hop. With all other ingredients the same, I ended up with 1.063 OG and 1.012 FG....kinda hot for a APA, but I'm not complaining. Been kegged since 22 March....and it keeps getting better and better. In the middle of a move back to the MN, so perhaps in a few months when my setup is all back together this will taste even better.

Brewing this for the first time today! I've come up with a partial mash version, let me know what you think:

1 lb Pale Malt 2 Row US
2 lb Munich Malt
2 lb Vienna Malt
8 oz Crystal Malt 20L
8 oz Crystal Malt 60L
4 lbs Dry Malt Extract Light

1 oz Cascade (6.2 AA) @ 60 min
.75 oz Cascade @ 30 min
1 oz Cascade @ 10 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 5 min
.5 oz Cascade @ 0 min

I think I'm going to try and dry hop with some Citra (13.4 AA) instead of Cascade

WYeast 1056 which I started a couple days ago and is ready to rock

5 gallon batch
Beersmith is giving me a SG of 1.060 and 41.1 IBUs
Color 10.5 srm

Can't wait to taste this one. Let me know what you think on the DME substitution

:D

Brewed this yesterday. Used 2row instead of maris otter (local shop screwed up), and added an extra half pound of it to make 6.5gal pre boild. Hit 70% efficiency with 5 gal at 1.060. Also used cascade pellets instead of whole hops. Will dry hop in a few weeks. Thanks for the recipe Yooper.

Brewed up another batch of this yesterday. I spilled about 1/2 pound of my grain while mashing in. In an effort to make up some gravity points I threw in .75 lbs of flaked oats I had sitting around from a Blue Moon Clone batch I made last summer. I figured what the hell. I am learning and experimenting anyway. Wound up with 1.054. I also used 1 oz of 10.1 Amarillo for bittering and dropped an ounce of cascade 5.5 pellets in a few at a time the last 30 minutes (dogfish head style)

Finally bottled this last weekend after 5 weeks in the primary. I kept it in there that long due to traveling for work and not being able to package it.

It tasted great out of the bottling bucket.

I couldn't wait another week so I didn't dry hop. As an experiment I bottled half the batch then added a hop tea made by boiling about a quart of water, steeping an ounce of cascade pellets in a paint strainer bag for 20 minutes(off the heat not boiling) and stirring that into the bottling bucket.

I figured since I already messed up the recipe I might as well learn something about a hop tea addition. Doing half the batch will give me a side by side comparison with the same wort as well as my last batch of this dry hopped 2 weeks.

Finally bottled this last weekend after 5 weeks in the primary. I kept it in there that long due to traveling for work and not being able to package it.

It tasted great out of the bottling bucket.

I couldn't wait another week so I didn't dry hop. As an experiment I bottled half the batch then added a hop tea made by boiling about a quart of water, steeping an ounce of cascade pellets in a paint strainer bag for 20 minutes(off the heat not boiling) and stirring that into the bottling bucket.

I figured since I already messed up the recipe I might as well learn something about a hop tea addition. Doing half the batch will give me a side by side comparison with the same wort as well as my last batch of this dry hopped 2 weeks.

Let us know how the hop tea works out! I'm very curious.

I am still loving this beer but have noticed it seems to be getting more bitter as the aroma fades. Has anyone else had the symptom of increasing bitterness over time?

Let us know how the hop tea works out! I'm very curious.

I just tasted these for the first time after 2 weeks in the bottle.

I bottled 18 before adding 1 oz of cascade to about a quart of boiling water. It sat off the heat for about 20 minutes before I added it to the bottling bucket. I got 38 bottles with the hop tea added.

It did make a difference that is noticable. I taste more hop flavor in the batch with tea added and actually like it better. There is just a little more sediment in the bottom of the bottles with the hop tea but the clarity is just as good decanted into a glass.

It is something I will continue to experiment with. It's an easy way to have 2 slightly different tasting beers from the same batch. I may even try different hop combinations this way. I only get to brew about once a month so this provides a bit more variety.

Drinking one now. It's been in the bottle for two weeks and in the fridge for one. Very good and very even flavor. Less hoppy than I thought. I missed the OG pretty bad (1.050) using all grain BIAB. I'm still tweaking my process/method. This is my 29th batch total. I'm pretty sure I'll try this again and see if I can hit 1.058. My efficiency has improved since brewing this so maybe I will do better.
It's not totally carbed yet but very very nice... heading for another one.

Just opened one up tonight, Yooper...

Brewed this on 2/12/12. My OG was 1.051 and FG was 1.013.
I'm not getting a whole lot of aroma on this one. The taste is malt first with a nice bitter/hop finish. Definitely a session beer that I think a lot of folks who aren't into "hop bombs" would be into drinking. I really like this beer. I think I was expecting more hop aroma but I'm not getting it. Maybe I screwed up something? I followed your recipe to a T.

Either way, awesome beer...Thanks for the recipe. It's beautiful in the glass and I'm enjoying it on a Saturday night :)

Kegged yesterday after a week of dry hopping. FG was 1.014. Sample tasted great, malty sweetness to start, finished with a mild hoppy bitterness. Neither flavor was overpowering. Can't wait to start drinking it.

3rd AG Brew today is going to be this. I thought I had US-05 in the Fridge.. but alas it's S04.. But I had a room in the basement that stays a perpetual 62 degrees year round.. so I think It'll turn out good. Thanks Yooper!

Looking forward to making this next weekend,im using Ivanhoe hop pellets instead of the centennials(which i dont have), think i might like these a little more. Not quite shure yet.

I think this is a great recipe but I screwed it up. Mine is progressively thinning with hops coming more forward. I missed my sg pretty good so am sure that is what is making the malt less prominent. I will try this again In a couple months.

I made this as an APA and it was a huge hit. Really loved the malt profile. I was considering beefing this up into the IPA range, then using it as a test bed for my first try at hop bursting, late hopping, whatever you want to call it. Do you think just scaling it up into the IPA range and keeping the proportions the same would work?

I just got 4 ounces of Falconer's Flight yesterday and am looking for something to do with them.

This has quickly become one of my favorites. I'm down to barely a 6 pack. Going to be brewing this up again this weekend!!

winvarin said:
I made this as an APA and it was a huge hit. Really loved the malt profile. I was considering beefing this up into the IPA range, then using it as a test bed for my first try at hop bursting, late hopping, whatever you want to call it. Do you think just scaling it up into the IPA range and keeping the proportions the same would work?

I just got 4 ounces of Falconer's Flight yesterday and am looking for something to do with them.

Update- this has a lot of promise as an IPA. Brewed 5/17. OG was 1.068. Used 5 ounces of FF hops in the boil (1 oz every 5 min starting at 25 min). Racked t secondary on 6/4 and threw in another ounce of FF for dry hop. Aroma and flavor of the sample during transfer. It tasted of citrusy goodness, with just a hint of tropical fruit.
Will keg this weekend. I have high hopes for this beer. The malt profile Yoop put together is outstanding. I kept the proportions the same and just bumped up the amounts for increased gravity.
I may do a winter version of this and bump the mash temp up to increase the body.

Down to the last 4 bottles of this beer.:(

This recipe is fantastic, everyone that's tried it has loved it. This is going to be one of my regular brews and I will be brewing it again soon. Very soon.

Thanks, Yooper.

Back