The cigar thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need to punch your cigar shop guy in the mouth. Do not just use water, water evaporates at 100% Rh and that is too high for your cigars.

Tim

That and only use distilled water. Using tap water or anything else can lead to problems.

Thanks, it was the owner of the store.:mad: I think that's my last trip to that store.

That seems like a good idea with the advice he is giving you and with the hit or miss quality they have.

I hit up a tobacco shop while I was in the city yesterday. Thanks to commonsenseman, I have a couple samples of pipe tobacco on the way. So, I needed to pick up a pipe, as my old corncob is long gone. I picked up a decent quality cob while there and decided to pick up a couple of cigars as well.

Since I've only had limited experience with cigars, I decided to pick up a couple of the infused ACID cigars to see what they're about. There was a lady there from one of the manufacturers. I can't remember which one. She was doing some kind of promo, but she asked if I needed help and I mentioned I also wanted to get just a normal, non-flavored, mild to medium cigar as well. She said there were some things in their line that might work, but ultimatly suggested a Romeo y Julieta cigar. Hopefully she didn't lead me astray. I should get a chance to try them this weekend. I'm planning on taking the new motorcycle out for a spin and will probably bring one along to enjoy.

She said there were some things in their line that might work, but ultimatly suggested a Romeo y Julieta cigar. Hopefully she didn't lead me astray. I should get a chance to try them this weekend. I'm planning on taking the new motorcycle out for a spin and will probably bring one along to enjoy.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a Romeo y Julieta.

Wait - commonsenseman? Same commonsenseman from Puff?

Absolutely agree with GeoGirl - I've not yet had an RyJ I haven't liked. CAO is similar in that regard.

I'm so glad we're coming out of winter now - I can get outside and light up a stick or two!

Absolutely agree with GeoGirl - I've not yet had an RyJ I haven't liked. CAO is similar in that regard.

I'm so glad we're coming out of winter now - I can get outside and light up a stick or two!

I love CAO (they were the very first cigar I ever had) but I find the draw and the burn to be too inconsistent :( Avo has turned out to be my cigar of choice though. I have never had a bad one.

Stratslinger, I completely agree - so glad winter is almost over. I want to get outside and enjoy a few

So... Got any good suggestions for homebrew and cigar pairings? I find a good 60 minute boil goes by much more pleasantly when you've got a homebrew and a stogie going!

.....Thanks to commonsenseman, I have a couple samples of pipe tobacco on the way. So, I needed to pick up a pipe, as my old corncob is long gone. I picked up a decent quality cob while there and decided to pick up a couple of cigars as well.....

Well, it looks like you may have a spare cob now!

Puff? What is a Puff?

J.K. Yep, it's me.

Well, it looks like you may have a spare cob now!

Well, I suppose that's not a bad thing! :D

EDIT: Actually, the one I bought yesterday is the second cob this week and the first one I would trust to smoke. I picked up an el cheapo at the corner store earlier in the week and, once I really I looked at it, realized just what a piece of junk it was. I knew there was no way the thing was going to work for anything other than part of a hillbilly costume or as a prop for a magical talking snowman. I'm already looking at a couple of briars.

So... Got any good suggestions for homebrew and cigar pairings? I find a good 60 minute boil goes by much more pleasantly when you've got a homebrew and a stogie going!

I was just trying to figure out what all I wanted to take with me to a group brewday tomorrow. I have a little travel humi to fill.

Stopped by Corona today, very big selection. I got a couple of those Liga Privadas, 9 and T52.

Regarding the 70% Rh, they said you can use distilled water and it will maintain Rh and the prop glycol is for mold prevention.

Regarding pairings, maybe it's because I started with the stout and stogie party but I like stouts with cigars. I'm about to have a nitro chocolate imperial stout and a Padron.

You "can" use water only, but using a 50/50 mix of water and PG you will be able to regulate the RH at 70% (there is a lot of chemistry going on in the mix). Using just water you cannot control what the Rh will be. If water is all you got, you will be ok, but get some beads as soon as you can, they work the best.

Welcome to your next obsession

Tim

Well, I took the new bike out today and took one of the little ACID cigars. I would have taken the Romeo y Julieta, but knew that would take longer to smoke. I'll probably try that one later tonight or tomorrow. The ACID was a Blondie and I didn't know what to expect. I'd read reviews saying that the infused flavors were overpowering, but I didn't find it to be so, I mostly noticed the flavored aspect right on my lips as I was drawing it in. It smoked nicely and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was a good thing it was a smaller cigar. As I got towards the end I realized I hadn't had much for lunch. Luckily I got to the end of it right before it started to get to me! :)

Now I have to go check out my pipe samples!

Drew Estate's Acid line really has alot to offer from sweet and mild to REALLY heavy! My favorite smoke of all time is the Kuba Kuba! or its little sister Blondie.. Leaves a pleasant sweet taste on your lips and a smooth smoke. Like was mentioned earlier they are not just a kool aid dipped swisher.. A whole new smoke experience! The ONE 5 ? is another great smoke that is a little more "traditional'. JJ

Brew54, an awful lot of folks get into cigars through the Acid line. But many (granted, not all!) eventually start sampling more traditional cigars and begin to find the Acids very syrupy.

I used to really enjoy the Kuba Kuba too, but eventually got into more traditional stuff and just didn't have an Acid for a while. My boss last summer started getting really into cigars, also via the Acid line, and he gave me one of his Kuba Kubas, and I just didn't enjoy it the way I used to. It was a pleasant smoke, but I couldn't get past the syrupy sweetness it left on my lips. I just talked to my boss about smokes again the other day, and now he's finding the same thing!

So, the Acid's tend to be a great "gateway" cigar. Definitely head and shoulders over Swishers and the like, but eventually many smokers find them darned near unsmokeable...

Any suggestions for pipe tobacco commonsense?

My grandpa smoked his pipe outside and the most delightful smell would waft into their basement. I can still smell it in my head to this day (25 years later). Because of my grandpa any time I smell pipe smoke (which seems to be never these days) I have a visceral reaction that takes me back to my grandparents basement.

I have never tried a pipe, don't know anyone who smokes a pipe, nor would I even know where to begin.

My grandpa smoked his pipe outside and the most delightful smell would waft into their basement. I can still smell it in my head to this day (25 years later). Because of my grandpa any time I smell pipe smoke (which seems to be never these days) I have a visceral reaction that takes me back to my grandparents basement.

I have never tried a pipe, don't know anyone who smokes a pipe, nor would I even know where to begin.

Any idea what he smoked?

I'm in the same boat. Both grandparents (mother's side) and my father, all long gone now, were pipe smokers and the smell brings back a flood of memories. I promised myself I wouldn't buy a pipe until after my humidor was empty. At the rate that I smoke cigars, it'll be another 10 years!

Since your location says Chicago, if you are really wanting to get into pipe smoking, head in to Iwan Ries at 19 S. Wabash Avenue in Chicago. The guys in there are VERY knowledgeable and will teach you how to pick out a good pipe (bowl size, drilled hole location, balance, how to pack the bowl, etc...) They usually have some very good starter pipes for around $35 and some estate pipes that while used, are in good condition and have been cleaned up quite nicely.

Then, for an incredibly wonderful aromatic tobacco, head over to Updown Cigar in Old Town (1550 N. Wells, Old Town). Get their Night Train blend (see if IR has it but last time I was there, they didn't).

What I found to be the biggest difference between a pipe and a cigar is a pipe is a bit more work. Also, I found a pipe to be sharper on the tongue than a cigar is. I would smoke a pipe now and again, however folks don't seem to like seeing a woman with a pipe. They are more accepting if it is a cigar :-(

No idea at all. Pardon my ignorance but it had that characteristic "sweet" pipe smell. I would almost say that it has hints of cherry.

Is there a blend that would be popular amongst older men?

A blend that is quite old that has a cherry hint to it is Captain Rudy. The guys in Iwan Ries might even be able to help you narrow it down (most of the guys are OLD in there)

I'm in the same boat. Both grandparents (mother's side) and my father, all long gone now, were pipe smokers and the smell brings back a flood of memories. I promised myself I wouldn't buy a pipe until after my humidor was empty. At the rate that I smoke cigars, it'll be another 10 years!

It's crazy. I will just catch a whiff of smoke floating through the air (I can be driving with my windows down) and my mind goes right back to their basement. It is really cool. They had a finished walk out that was set up for entertaining. 20 seat wet bar with taps, bottles and beer fridges (I was way too young to drink - but my grandpa let me behind the counter and let me pour. Tons of seating in the TV area for everyone / card tables. When we were at their house, we literally spent the entire time down there. LOOOOOTS of memories flood in.

Hmm, lots of old guy blends that have been discontinued, some are still around though.

Middleton's Cherry perhaps?

Others that a lot of guys used to smoke exclusively: Union Leader, Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Velvet, Edgeworth Sliced, Half & Half, etc.

As GeoGirl said, if you're close to Iwan Ries definitely check it out. You'll be able to get a bunch of stuff to try out, & hopefully some good pipe-smoking advice (priceless).

What I found to be the biggest difference between a pipe and a cigar is a pipe is a bit more work.

I tried my first pipe in about 15 years last night. I really don't remember having to relight so many times, but maybe I'm just being forgetful. I think I got it packed pretty nicely. I did a bit of online research regarding that, but every 10-15 minutes it would burn down to a point where it just wouldn't continue. I'm going to have to get better at my technique! :D

I tried my first pipe in about 15 years last night. I really don't remember having to relight so many times, but maybe I'm just being forgetful. I think I got it packed pretty nicely. I did a bit of online research regarding that, but every 10-15 minutes it would burn down to a point where it just wouldn't continue. I'm going to have to get better at my technique! :D

Should have mentioned before, pipe-tobacco benefits greatly from being fairly dry prior to smoking. I set mine out on a piece of paper for an hour or so, then fill my pipe.

Also, be sure you're "filling" the pipe, not "packing" it down. It needs a decent amount of air to burn well. A good general rule of thumb is that when you draw on the pipe, there should be just a little bit of resistance, like sucking through a straw. If you have to work at it, it's packed too tight.

I had a Monte Vintage 1999 on saturday and while it wasn't a dog rocket I didn't really enjoy it either.

Should have mentioned before, pipe-tobacco benefits greatly from being fairly dry prior to smoking. I set mine out on a piece of paper for an hour or so, then fill my pipe.

Also, be sure you're "filling" the pipe, not "packing" it down. It needs a decent amount of air to burn well. A good general rule of thumb is that when you draw on the pipe, there should be just a little bit of resistance, like sucking through a straw. If you have to work at it, it's packed too tight.

I don't think I'm packing it too tight, but I could be wrong. I fill it loosely to the top, tamp it gently to about 1/2 way down, fill loosely again and tamp that until it's about 3/4 full, then top it off and tamp it so it's just below the top. I then lit it once and the top tobacco started to uncurl and get charred. I packed that down and relit it and it seemed to burn pretty well for about fifteen minutes. The draw on it seemed okay, a small bit of resistance, but I'd say similar to a straw. It could be I need to let the tobacco sit out and dry a little. I would sip on it occasinally to keep it lit and it would be going along just fine, then it would just completely die on me. I would lightly tamp the top and relight and it would be gang busters for another 10-15 minutes, then it would happen again.

I don't think I'm packing it too tight, but I could be wrong. I fill it loosely to the top, tamp it gently to about 1/2 way down, fill loosely again and tamp that until it's about 3/4 full, then top it off and tamp it so it's just below the top. I then lit it once and the top tobacco started to uncurl and get charred. I packed that down and relit it and it seemed to burn pretty well for about fifteen minutes. The draw on it seemed okay, a small bit of resistance, but I'd say similar to a straw. It could be I need to let the tobacco sit out and dry a little. I would sip on it occasinally to keep it lit and it would be going along just fine, then it would just completely die on me. I would lightly tamp the top and relight and it would be gang busters for another 10-15 minutes, then it would happen again.

That sounds perfect to me!

It could be that the tobacco is a little moist, any gurgling sound at all? Or it could be that you just need practice to keep it going, pipes require a lot more attention & practice than cigars do. They can be pretty frustrating sometimes.

Don't feel too bad about re-lighting though, we all do it, & it doesn't taste nasty the 2nd or 3rd time like cigars do. In fact, there's a name for smoking a pipe in more than one sitting. DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique).

That sounds perfect to me!

It could be that the tobacco is a little moist, any gurgling sound at all? Or it could be that you just need practice to keep it going, pipes require a lot more attention & practice than cigars do. They can be pretty frustrating sometimes.

Don't feel too bad about re-lighting though, we all do it, & it doesn't taste nasty the 2nd or 3rd time like cigars do. In fact, there's a name for smoking a pipe in more than one sitting. DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique).

I'm going to try leaving the tobacco out for a little while before hand and keep practicing! Good Stuff! :mug:

Well, you've created a monster. I smoked the Romeo y Julieta the other day while washing the car and it was quite good.

Last night, I enjoyed a bowl in the pipe and I had another this evening. I'm getting a little better at keeping the thing lit. I still have to relight from time to time, but I've easily cut my relights in half. I've got a new briar and several tins of tobacco arriving on Monday and just put the order in for a much nicer briar and a few more tins. In truth, I've been a bit absent from HBT for the past week. Mostly because I've been on a bunch of the pipe sights doing research, but don't worry, I'm going to keg my old ale soon and move on to the next brew. I'm finding that I really enjoy the combination of a good beer and a pipe! :)

Well, you've created a monster. I smoked the Romeo y Julieta the other day while washing the car and it was quite good.

Last night, I enjoyed a bowl in the pipe and I had another this evening. I'm getting a little better at keeping the thing lit. I still have to relight from time to time, but I've easily cut my relights in half. I've got a new briar and several tins of tobacco arriving on Monday and just put the order in for a much nicer briar and a few more tins. In truth, I've been a bit absent from HBT for the past week. Mostly because I've been on a bunch of the pipe sights doing research, but don't worry, I'm going to keg my old ale soon and move on to the next brew. I'm finding that I really enjoy the combination of a good beer and a pipe! :)

It's a dangerous slope I tell ya :drunk:

I know this thread is old, but I really wanted to see if there was any interest. Cigars are one of my biggest hobbies! Any cigar lovers still here?

Nice! I've been a cigar smoker for years. It's an addictive hobby. It was actually my cigar forum that got me interested in brewing beer. There are a couple of guys over there who brew competitively. I have a crazy 3000 ct. humidor that has about 500 cigars in it. It's a bit of an obsession.

i used to be huge into cigars andthen took a break due to buying a house and my son coming along. i was into expensive sticks and the funds just werent there. i still smoked occasionally, but not as often as i liked. however, i just recently started restocking the humidor and trying all the new brands that came out over the past 7-9 years. only have about wix in here right now, but hope to be stocked well in a couple months. anything out there that was released in the past couple years that i should know about??
tom

holy cow dude, yeah. i'm into boutique brands and the more limited releases. one of my favorite smokes right now is the Liga Privada Undercrown. Amazing smoke that isn't to terribly priced.

Some brands you can't go wrong with:
Tatuaje
Liga Privada
Viaje
My Father
Room 101
A. Fuente

Stuff like that... buy it, love it.

Latest posts

Back