Rhizomes are in the Ground

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
First time I've done this...

Received 2 Cascades, 1 Crystal, 1 Sterling, and 1 Mt. Hood on Saturday from Freshops. Planted them shortly thereafter. Wish 'em luck. They're only 4' O.C., because I didn't have room for any more...hopefully they won't get too crowded.

Yeah I still gotta get mine in :(. Too many things! I have Asparagus crowns and Strawberries coming too which I have to make space for yet...

Evan! said:
First time I've done this...

Received 2 Cascades, 1 Crystal, 1 Sterling, and 1 Mt. Hood on Saturday from Freshops. Planted them shortly thereafter. Wish 'em luck. They're only 4' O.C., because I didn't have room for any more...hopefully they won't get too crowded.

I don't know about Charlottesville but it's suppose to be below freezing in Richmond Thursday and Friday nights.

I just stuck 2 Fuggle, 2 Kent Golding, and 2 Sterling in pots this morning, which are now in my sunny basement (ground floor), since it's been really rainy and cold here in NY. Can't wait to see them start coming up!

Evan! said:
They're only 4' O.C., because I didn't have room for any more...hopefully they won't get too crowded.

Didn't notice this in your original post, but from www.freshops.com...

Plant 1 rhizome per hill with the buds pointed up and cover with 1 inch of loose soil. Hills should be spaced at least 3 feet apart if the hills are of the same variety and 5 feet apart if they are different. The first year the hop plant requires frequent light watering.

http://www.freshops.com/gardening.html

Seems to me that the varieties are going to be competing like mad with each other...

the_bird said:
Plant 1 rhizome per hill with the buds pointed up and cover with 1 inch of loose soil. Hills should be spaced at least 3 feet apart if the hills are of the same variety and 5 feet apart if they are different. The first year the hop plant requires frequent light watering.

Seems to me that the varieties are going to be competing like mad with each other...

Yeah...I know. I read the pamphlet they sent with the rhizomes. But until I build another trellis...that's all I got. I'm building a fence around the backyard next weekend, so I might string up some cable on it and transplant one or two of them.

Good luck with it and have fun. It's great to see them grow and to have a harvest is even more fun.

I still have 2 feet of snow on top of the ground around my hops to see if there is any activity just yet, LOL.

unclesamskid said:
How long has it been since you ordered?

Week and a half or so. Ordered them from Northern Brewer. They send them out directly (from Oregon, IIRC) when they're ready. Since *I'm* not ready for them, they can get here when they want to get here.

I just ordered some today from Freshops with shipping via Priority Mail. I leave town for 10 days in 10 days and with Priority Mail, they should be here in time. Well, they should be here in time if they are shipped promptly.

I think I may have screwed myself. :D

I got 3 jumbo Cascade and 3 Centennial from Freshhops.com. I picked up all my materials for my hop garden and will plant them this week. Mine will be a 8'x8' raised bed with a drip irrigation system. I am building a tripod with 20' sections of EMT (1/2" metal conduit) from a design I saw online. I'll post pics when I get R done.

EdWort said:
Mine will be a 8'x8' raised bed with a drip irrigation system.

Good for you! A drip system (of course aside from the raised beds) is hands down the best move I made for the garden ever. I have noticed it makes a huge difference in keeping Powdery Mildew at bay.

My hops started sprouting, but three hard freezes in 8 days will probably mean a re-start later.

Evan! said:
Yeah...I know. I read the pamphlet they sent with the rhizomes. But until I build another trellis...that's all I got. I'm building a fence around the backyard next weekend, so I might string up some cable on it and transplant one or two of them.

Evan,

What kind of trellis did you wind up doing? I am in the depths of the same venture. 6 different types of hops, 10 foot verticle trellis, 30 feet of growing space. Shoot me back.

www.absbrew.com

-Mark.

Fingers said:
What kind of hops can grow in your climate, boo boo?

Same as yours, LOL. I have 3 cascade and 3 halertau, lemme see if I can drag up a pic. These are all first year crop and I did get a modest harvest.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/3vines.jpg

And a pic of my son standing next to the others
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a357/nflder/Donandhopsplants.jpg

I now have a proper trellis built for each bed, so they'll have a vertical climb.
They are about 1 and 1/2 feet tall right now.

Back