Have you brewed on and off, year / multiyear gaps..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beergears

Reaction score
I wonder how many folks here have had some periods of time when they stop and did not brew, yet eventually resumed the hobby?

Repeat "offenders" (multi on-off stints)?

I took a good 6 months off this past summer. I didn't brew that last two months or so of the semester, and didn't brew at all at home.

Even right now I haven't brewed for over two months, and it'll be another before I do again.

I know there are some people who have taken a decade off only to come back to it. Moving, jobs, family, all other things more important that often put brewing on the back burner.

Once my life is a little more consistent I assume I'll brew more consistently.

Yes there was a brewing dark ages in my history. Now I'm in my brewing Renaissance and I'm making lots of beer and the best beer I've every made.

Having babies got me off track for a few years. Also your living situation can make a big impact. I now own a house and have a good space for brewing, fermenting, kegerator, etc...

Yeah, I seem to lose interest in hobbies every year or so, but eventually they make a reappearance and I am back in them full speed. I took about 2 years off before this summer.

I took a good 4 years off but I'm back, baby, and better than ever.

A big change was going All Grain from extract brewing. Actually feels like I'm brewing now instead of tossing things together.

*shrug*

I took 4-years ago with the birth of my first child. When I moved into my home now I have the extra space and have been at it full force since April. Don't think I will ever take more than a month off in the future.

I tend to brew in clusters. Nothing for six months, then do 3-5 batches. Did a batch in March, then nothing up to September. Once it gets warm and the yellow jackets and wasps come out, brewing isn't as much fun. But, six months is the longest break I've had.

I took a 7 year hiatus when I had some flawed batches (all my fault btw) and then moved to a rental house with no space. and i had waaay too much mead stored up and aging at that time.

now i try to brew several times a year, or monthly if I'm doing wine kits for family members.

I brewed a lot in college. Then took about a ten year break. I think I did a total of three batches during that time. I got back into brewing about 1 1/2 years ago and brew fairly regularly now.

I took about 5 years off (busy with the kids), and started again about 3 years ago.
When I did start back up, I got into kegging and all grain (thanks to this website!).

I probably took about a 15 year break when the kids started coming along.
Back to brewing this year and the availability of ingredients compared to the dark ages just...well...it makes me giddy.

Hoppus,

You said it about the dark ages! I started in grad school w/ my roommates (circa 1987). At the time we thought it was great but looking back at how we did it and the stuff we did it with...:drunk:

Took many years off after getting married, starting new job, adding a couple of kids to the mix...started back up at the turn of the millenium...another few year break...like someone else said, now making excellent beers (and not just my opinion...)

I stopped brewing after my wedding in 2000. I had 2 batches serving in kegs at the reception. Don't really know why - just got "busy," I guess. Started back up this January. Over 180 gallons and moved to AG and 10-gallon batches since....:tank::ban::rockin::mug:

Learned a lot readin Revvy and Kai's stuff, too.....:D:D

Back to it after nearly 15 years away. Not only are ingredients more plentiful and better (my local homebrew store was together with a pet shop when I was brewing in college), but I can now afford better equipment, which kicks the enjoyment up a notch.

Several years ago I was doing all grain batches that got some really great reviews, loving baking bread and things like that. I was starting to think of going down some food/beer related career path. Then I found out I could no longer consume any food containing wheat/rye/barley/oats. I sold off more or less everything but my buckets to make cider in. I'm back now and trying to make some sorghum based beer.

I stopped brewing for about 18 years after a terrible carboy explosion that didn't kill anyone, but definitely could have. Finally started up again a couple years ago.

I haven't brewed since May of this year because of my mishap. But I haven't gotten away from it, I'm just building up for a big comeback. I've built a three tier gravity sculpture, a mash tun, a CFC, a sparge contraption, and acquired a few commercial kegs, burners, and other equipment. I plan on brewing again before the year ends.

Back